Turn on thread page Beta

For Females Only: Do females engage in 'banter'? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If we have a friendship, I'm probably insulting you.

Difference is we (my close friends and me) don't aim to genuinely hurt or insult, if they didn't find it amusing we'd stop and apologise instantly. I try to avoid anything that they might genuinely be insecure about.

Insult-based humour can be a mark of closeness, like between couples. It's the most fun kind. There is definitely a double standard though, men are supposed not to have emotions which is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I posted a thread yesterday about banter and how my threshold for it is quite low because I do not appreciate being insulted 24/7.

I was wondering if any females on here engage in banter with their female friends and/or their male friends.

It seems like females insulting each other for a laugh doesn't happen.

My specific grievance with banter is that the person insulting me is trying to target issues that could be a problem for me for example my weigh, height or whatever. I can confidently say that I am insecure about a very small amount of life issues so if a friend says oh you're getting fat. You need to get the the gym fatboy or put down that cake fat boy or something like that. I am confident enough to realize the reality of my situation so if I feel like I am an alright size nothing can sway my position on that other than my own reasoning. However, if I say stop making these jokes. You're taking it too far...I get accused of being insecure eventhough I'm fine with my size. Do you catch my drift? lol.

So does this happen with females? Do you ladies ridicule each other and shrug it off as banter? Do you value banter as a valid source of humour? Do you ever engage in it? Do you have examples? Would you feel disrespected or insulted if someone tried to upset on purpose for a laugh?

P.S I think that females doing it would be considered as bullying faster than if guys are doing it. A scene from mean girls comes to mind. Does this mean that banter is one of those double standards where guys can't have emotions? Be a man. Take the insult like a man. Don't moan about it. Dish it out.

What's the point in having friends if you don't get to take the piss out of them on a daily basis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BerniHurton)
    I call all my friends *****es??? I insult them all the time!!!!!!!! we are the most banterus gender, we bring sass to banter
    "we bring sass to banter" omd

ReputationRep:
    99% of girls I encounter cannot handle bants in general.

But the 1% that do are ledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Understand why there is a lack of female comedians, and the answer becomes clear...
    False. The lack is due to so many low and high tier comedians, and competition, and the real money and career with comedians start begins with screenwriting.

(Original post by selfteaching)
    bare boob banta gwarns with me n ma m8s
    lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassQueen13)
    I always engage in the bants with my m8s and then we go for a cheeky Nandos after cos my mate Penny is such a ladette.
    Knowing you it's Penny Smith :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandbeer2)
    Knowing you it's Penny Smith :rofl:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's Shaniqua Penny Smith

ReputationRep:
    I have banter with my friends all the time (both male and female friends) and we do usually insult each other, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassQueen13)
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's Shaniqua Penny Smith

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't even know what this means but it sounds bare hilare :rofl:

I am the queen of banter!

It's hard to do it with people you don't know online. They take it too seriously

ReputationRep:
    Yes females do 'banter', but in my experience, they're rubbish at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selfteaching)
    bare boob banta gwarns with me n ma m8s
    best post itt

(Original post by BruceJender)
    Yes females do 'banter', but in my experience, they're rubbish at it.
    Heyyyy... We are not bad at it. Girls are bit too sensitive

I do banter with my male friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Heyyyy... We are not bad at it. Girls are bit too sensitive
    You can't banter with sensitive ppl.

The best type of banter between girls is when they kiss and play with each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    The best type of banter between girls is when they kiss and play with each other
    Oooooooh yes.

(Original post by BruceJender)
    You can't banter with sensitive ppl.
    Yes you can. You learn to desensitise them

ReputationRep:
    females just take banter as you being *****y, males actually get the joke which is one can only really have banter with guys

ReputationRep:
    It's my default form of conversation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.