Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Retakes? Please help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Guys,

I need help!! I have gotten an email from UCL. "If you are taking A levels that are modular then please complete the attached form". What does that mean?? My exam board is CIE, and I will be sitting AS and A level exams next year May. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful if you answered. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narine2014)
    Guys,

I need help!! I have gotten an email from UCL. "If you are taking A levels that are modular then please complete the attached form". What does that mean?? My exam board is CIE, and I will be sitting AS and A level exams next year May. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful if you answered. Thank you.
    Linear A-levels are A-levels where you take ALL your exams at the end of year 13

Modular A-levels are A-levels where you take AS exams in year 12 and A2 ones in year 13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Linear A-levels are A-levels where you take ALL your exams at the end of year 13

Modular A-levels are A-levels where you take AS exams in year 12 and A2 ones in year 13
    ohhhh okay i get it now. thank you very much!! so mine are linear. thx again. have a great day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narine2014)
    ohhhh okay i get it now. thank you very much!! so mine are linear. thx again. have a great day
    no problem, you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazmain)
    Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it
    Hey Tazmain

What would I need to resit to get an A* overall in Biology and an A overall in Chemistry with:

Biology:
    Unit 1-B
    Unit 2-B
    Unit 3-D
    Unit 4-A*
    Unit 5-E
    Unit 6-U

Chemistry:
    Unit 1-C
    Unit 2-C
    Unit 3-D
    Unit 4-C
    Unit 5-B
    Unit 6- E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Hey Tazmain

What would I need to resit to get an A* overall in Biology and an A overall in Chemistry with:

Biology:
    Unit 1-B
    Unit 2-B
    Unit 3-D
    Unit 4-A*
    Unit 5-E
    Unit 6-U

Chemistry:
    Unit 1-C
    Unit 2-C
    Unit 3-D
    Unit 4-C
    Unit 5-B
    Unit 6- E
    http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo...tor&target=gce

ReputationRep:
    Life saver, thanks, you're a genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Life saver, thanks, you're a genius
    haha no problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    I'm in near enough the same situation as you in biology, you got 211/300 ums in Biology and I got 212/300, I need an A also, but my school is not letting me retake any exam and I am not really interested in looking for somewhere else to take the exam, it is just extra hassle.

So I need to get 268/300 in A2 for an A, just one ums less than you, but we might aswell aim for the A* grade as that is 270/300 in A2. lol. Good Luck!
    You know to get an A* at A-Level you have to get an A in AS too... right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    yeah and 90% ums too not even a normal A*

but i think they mean the A* percentage like

in order to get an A overall we have to go into A* zone if that makes sense lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    yeah and 90% ums too not even a normal A*

but i think they mean the A* percentage like

in order to get an A overall we have to go into A* zone if that makes sense lol
    Ah right okay Yeah an A* is an A at AS AND 90% UMS at A2 isn't it? Loool I have no chance in Sociology even though I'm predicted an A*.

I'm sure you guys can do it if you work hard - just figure out what you did wrong last year/didn't do enough of and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Ah right okay Yeah an A* is an A at AS AND 90% UMS at A2 isn't it? Loool I have no chance in Sociology even though I'm predicted an A*.

I'm sure you guys can do it if you work hard - just figure out what you did wrong last year/didn't do enough of and you'll be fine
    yupp i hope so! literally an A is all i want haha

No you've been predicted an A* for a reason you WILL get it! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    yupp i hope so! literally an A is all i want haha

No you've been predicted an A* for a reason you WILL get it! good luck!
    You seem extremely motivated, you'll get there
    I hope so! My percentage was a little low to be predicted an A* but this year the topics are more interesting, and I'm not struggling as much in the homework essays. I need ABB to get into my favourite university for my course.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware it is the ums needed for an A overall across the whole A-level, in OCR Biology's case 480/600, and 90% at A2 which is 270/300. as I got 212/300 at AS, If I achieved 270/300 at A2 I'd have 482/600 ums, which is the UMS for an A, but as it is 90% at A2, I'd get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    You seem extremely motivated, you'll get there
    I hope so! My percentage was a little low to be predicted an A* but this year the topics are more interesting, and I'm not struggling as much in the homework essays. I need ABB to get into my favourite university for my course.
    yeS you GO they CANNOT reject you if you get an A*!!!!

i'm weirdly finding A2 so far easier to cope with than AS

like i started AS off getting Us and now I'm getting Bs in class tests and i'm like yasSS

but we don't know til mocks how we're really doing haha

omg i really hope you get in - have you got an offer from that uni yet? and what course may i ask ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    As far as I'm aware it is the ums needed for an A overall across the whole A-level, in OCR Biology's case 480/600, and 90% at A2 which is 270/300. as I got 212/300 at AS, If I achieved 270/300 at A2 I'd have 482/600 ums, which is the UMS for an A, but as it is 90% at A2, I'd get an A*.
    so. many. numbers.

so wait if i retake and i go from 211 to 270 and then get 270 this year too i'd get an A* overall?

i think you have to get 90% in both years right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    so. many. numbers.

so wait if i retake and i go from 211 to 270 and then get 270 this year too i'd get an A* overall?

i think you have to get 90% in both years right?
    no, you got 211 last year, if you didn't retake and got atleast 270 ums this year, you would get an A*.

You need 80% ums average over the WHOLE A LEVEL, and 90% average in A2 units for an A*.

There's a sticky on how to get an A* here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Okay i'll try to make this as easy and simple as possible

I got BBCC in biologyOCRA, computingOCR, chemistryOCRB and physicsOCRA, and I carried on with biology, chemistry and computing

I need to get AAA if not AAB AT LEAST to do the course I want to do at the uni I want to do it (Pharmacy at UCL) but the aim is AAA

Basically my question is, do I NEED to do retakes to get AAA?

currently my school have set me up to retake unit 2s for chemistry, biology and physics

I'll break down my UMS for you

BIOLOGY - overall = B
    Unit 1: 83/90 - A
    Unit 2: 83/150 - D
    Unit 3 (cwk): 45/60 - B

Need to get 269/300 this year to get an A overall (240 is an A)

CHEMISTRY - overall = C
    Unit 1: 65/90 - B
    Unit 2: 86/150 - D
    Unit 3 (cwk): 43/60 - B

Need 286/300 to get A overall (240 is an A)

COMPUTING - overall = B
    Unit 1: 75/100 - B
    Unit 2: 74/100 - B

Need 171/200 to get A overall (160 is an A)

PHYSICS - overall = C
    Unit 1: 61/90 - C
    Unit 2: 79/150 - D
    Unit 3 (cwk) - 44/60 - B

Need to retake unit 2 to get A in AS as I didn't carry on at A-level so need to get 135/150 in my retake (and 120 is an A in that exam)

SO what do you guys think? worth retaking all units? which ones should I retake? any tips and tricks? any success stories? I'm feeling super stressed so any advice to make this easier would be helpful...

Thank you
    Since you have dropped Physics, I would suggest you resit your unit 2 Chemistry and focus solely on your A2 units. This way the workload is also less and you will have a greater chance of achieving higher grades. I have seen people achieving A* with B grades at AS because to achieve an A* you need to achieve an A overall (AS and A2) and at least 90% across your A2 units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    no, you got 211 last year, if you didn't retake and got atleast 270 ums this year, you would get an A*.

You need 80% ums average over the WHOLE A LEVEL, and 90% average in A2 units for an A*.

There's a sticky on how to get an A* here.
    oh ma gawsh i have a cHANCE!
    but daym 270/300! i'm deffo retaking the year though i only want an A but daym imma aim for the A* now :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Since you have dropped Physics, I would suggest you resit your unit 2 Chemistry and focus solely on your A2 units. This way the workload is also less and you will have a greater chance of achieving higher grades. I have seen people achieving A* with B grades at AS because to achieve an A* you need to achieve an A overall (AS and A2) and at least 90% across your A2 units.
    thank you! i'm gonna focus on chemistry because I really need it to be an A and deffo retaking that

biology i'll consider but i don't think i'm gonna get an A this year in computing because i can't program for **** so my coursework probably won't be full ums and we only have 1 exam this year so i might retake one from last year

thanks again!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.