Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamdroid)
    Hi,

How hard is it to self teach A2 Further Maths?
    I'm intending to do the modules FP2, M3, and D2. I'm currently studying AS Further Maths and A2 maths in college, and in order to get to one of the higher universities need the full further maths (especially since I'm currently only studying 2 A2s).
    The modules I will have after this year are: C1, C2, S1, C3, C4, D1, FP1, M1 and M2.

I got an A last year in AS Maths, and am finding FP1 straight forward, and enjoying Mechanics.

How hard is FP2 to teach myself? Do you think M3 and D2 are good applied modules to study (given I really like mechanics)?

EDIT: Exam board is Edexcel
    WOW! This is truly admirable, may I ask why you are teaching yourself all this? (Like does your college not teach it well or not offer it?) And also, what advice would you have for someone (me) haha teaching themselves D1 if you have done it. The reason I have to self teach is because I can't go to any of the lessons for it this year and I have to resit, because it didn't go as well as I'd hoped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    And physics, not that I have much of a choice.
    Why not? Are you a private candidate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Why not? Are you a private candidate?
    Something like that, basically, school trouble, so I ended up deciding that I'd self-teach myself M, FM, Physics from September 2015 to January 2016 and sit my exams in Jan so I can get it out of the way and hopefully go to Warwick/Cambridge in October 2016. I already have an offer from Warwick, Cambridge interview invitations coming out mid-Nov, so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remainresilient_)
    WOW! This is truly admirable, may I ask why you are teaching yourself all this? (Like does your college not teach it well or not offer it?) And also, what advice would you have for someone (me) haha teaching themselves D1 if you have done it. The reason I have to self teach is because I can't go to any of the lessons for it this year and I have to resit, because it didn't go as well as I'd hoped
    Read through the textbook, backup anything no matter how trivial it may seem with googling and videos or asking question on TSR, never look at something and say "I don't fully understand but it's such a small part and it's inconsequential, so whatever" - make it a must to fully understand. Then once you've done that, practise, practise, practise. Questions after questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Sure, I'll follow you! I put that I'm doing M5 on UCAS so I have a lot to do still. :lolwut:
    (Original post by Student403)
    JESUS M5!? Best of luck man! And cheers followed back Let's stay in touch!
    Thought I was the only one on here doing M5 haha!

ReputationRep:
    Something like that, basically, school trouble, so I ended up deciding that I'd self-teach myself M, FM, Physics from September 2015 to January 2016 and sit my exams in Jan so I can get it out of the way and hopefully go to Warwick/Cambridge in October 2016. I already have an offer from Warwick, Cambridge interview invitations coming out mid-Nov, so fingers crossed!
    I see. You are quite under pressure though. I hope you get your offers and go to the university you want.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    Do you need M1-M4 for M5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    I see. You are quite under pressure though. I hope you get your offers and go to the university you want.
    Good luck!
    It's not so bad, I did CIE IGCSE's and when I started self-teaching the maths modules, I realised my IGCSE addtional maths and maths covered all of C1-2 and had bits of FP1 covered, so that was a quite a relief!

I finished off maths modules self-teaching at the beginning of October and just finished self-teaching the physics modules, I work about 5 hours a day (I don't go to school) and relax and go out for the rest of the days, although there is the odd day when I step up my work to 7-8 hours if I'm feeling particularly productive.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you could do it without?

I haven't covered m5 at all yet, I am finishing M1 and M2 at the moment.

But it builds on previous topics so I assumeitmust.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about needing M1-4 for M5, but you definitely need FP2 for M5, with the second order differential equations you need to apply in M5.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you could do it without?

I haven't covered m5 at all yet, I am finishing M1 and M2 at the moment.

But it builds on previous topics so I assumeitmust.
    Yeah I was asking to see if it does build on previous topics.

For example FP2 and FP3 aren't sequential

ReputationRep:
    I know another few people on TSR doing M5, but I won't name names. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    It's not so bad, I did CIE IGCSE's and when I started self-teaching the maths modules, I realised my IGCSE addtional maths and maths covered all of C1-2 and had bits of FP1 covered, so that was a quite a relief!

I finished off maths modules self-teaching at the beginning of October and just finished self-teaching the physics modules, I work about 5 hours a day (I don't go to school) and relax and go out for the rest of the days, although there is the odd day when I step up my work to 7-8 hours if I'm feeling particularly productive.
    You were quite lucky in that sense, thought still you have had to do a lot of work.

Yeah, I would prefer that way, since you can work at your own pace.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was asking to see if it does build on previous topics.

For example FP2 and FP3 aren't sequential
    Well yes, I forgot about that. But they both build on C3 C4.

From what I have done D2 does not build on D1.

And S2 does not build on S1

I know another few people on TSR doing M5, but I won't name names. :rofl:
    Lets make a thread!

ReputationRep:
    Not too hard, at school we basically teach ourselves and ask the teachers for help, apart from them explaining concepts or doing examples... And I think that way is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remainresilient_)
    No, unfortunately your admiration is unjustified

I didn't explain it in my initial post, but I'm studying A2 Maths and AS Further Maths at college (and one other A-Level). I would have begun Further Maths last year instead if I could go back in time!

My college are unfortunately discontinuing the ability to do a third year (due to the government and all that) so I have the option to go to a lower rated University to study Maths or get my third A-Level (in a subject I like and can do) so I could get into one of the more prestigious universities.
    So to clarify, I'm just teaching myself 3 modules to complete Further Maths A2! I apologise for not making that clear

I haven't done D1 yet but I have heard from everyone that it is definitely one of the easiest modules; hence why I'm considering D2 for self study

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about needing M1-4 for M5, but you definitely need FP2 for M5, with the second order differential equations you need to apply in M5.
    I heard that you need some FP3 knowledge for M5. Do you know if it's just the basic hyperbolic functions or is there a lot more? Haven't really looked at either syllabus yet.

Lets make a thread!
    Tag me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I heard that you need some FP3 knowledge for M5. Do you know if it's just the basic hyperbolic functions or is there a lot more? Haven't really looked at either syllabus yet.

Tag me!
    You might need some vector stuff from FP3, but otherwise, M5 doesn't really depend on FP3.

ReputationRep:
    You might need some vector stuff from FP3, but otherwise, M5 doesn't really depend on FP3.
    Thank you I was quite shocked when I found out that only ~200 people do the M5 exam each year.

ReputationRep:
    Does m3 require a lot of knowledge from m2?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.