Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Rabadon)
    The issue is that if you apply to american unis in the first admissions cycle, and they accept you, you have to go. So american uni deadline for reply is december 15th, so if he is accepted by then and he has an offer from cambridge, has must go to the american uni.
    I'm no expert on American university admissions but this cannot be true -- most people applying to study in America will have applied to more than one university and this could really only be true if almost all of them only got one offer. Otherwise I don't see how this could work. Say somebody gets offers from two universities in America; they clearly cannot attend both institutions so it seems unlikely that this rule exists. It just wouldn't work. Not to mention I'm aware of people who've had more than one offer and have turned down all but one.

I also suspect that the 15 December reply is for early applications because I seem to recall that at least the Ivy League lets applicants know of whether they were successful in April, not December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I'm no expert on American university admissions but this cannot be true -- most people applying to study in America will have applied to more than one university and this could really only be true if almost all of them only got one offer. Otherwise I don't see how this could work. Say somebody gets offers from two universities in America; they clearly cannot attend both institutions so it seems unlikely that this rule exists. It just wouldn't work. Not to mention I'm aware of people who've had more than one offer and have turned down all but one.

I also suspect that the 15 December reply is for early applications because I seem to recall that at least the Ivy League lets applicants know of whether they were successful in April, not December.
    You can only apply to one university for Early Decision. It's actually a pretty good system - you apply to your top choice before the general admissions round opens, find out if you have an offer by December (as you say, very early for the US admissions cycle), and, if you're successful, you then don't have to bother with anything else. It eases the load on the top universities considerably. It's binding in the sense that you cannot then enter any further applications through the Common Application (their version of UCAS), but they couldn't really stop you doing anything in the UK, so it's not really relevant to the OP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.