Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I was in the first 0.5% of Facebook users watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    "I was in the first 0.5% of Facebook users". What's the point of making a thread about being the first [insert arbitrary value] % of Facebook users?
    About 1.5 Billion people use Facebook monthly. The fact OP was a part of a time when the only influence social media had was in music (MySpace) and has witnessed it grow into the most influential platform of our time is quite interesting. It's changed drastically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle;[url="tel:60129155")
    60129155[/url]]i dont think i ever spoke to a strange on there, my contact list was pretty small:P
    I was about 9/10 at the time so didn't know any better (I think I'd just want to beat my friends at having more contacts oops)

I joined in early 2008 (February? It rings a bell.) so I couldn't claim to be one of the earliest users but I do remember sites like MySpace and Bebo. I even had an account on the former that, if it's still around, I've long since forgotten the login details for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Inspired from the 12 memories for those that grew up in the 2000s thread and talking about social media in the past; I went back through my Facebook and realised I joined in early 2006 when there were ~6mil users.. putting me in the first 0.5% of accounts!

Did anyone else join back then? (or earlier?) In a time when new social media sites were coming and going so fast (Myspace, Bebo, Friends Reuninted) did you ever think you'd still be using it almost a decade on?
    I joined in June 2005. :p: FB had only just launched in the UK and was still for university networks only, starting with Oxbridge, so we were some of the first people in the UK to have it. I was later than some of my friends to join, because I wanted to finish my exams before it took over my life.

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Looks like I'm not the only one :mmm:
    The children of today's time would never know the novelty of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleLover98)
    Oh MSN, those were the times 😌
    Speaking of MSN; just found this screenshot of a conversation on MSN with the girlfriend about Facebook

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hahaha, MSN... oh I had so many filthy chats on there, back in the days when girls weren't savvy of the dangers of getting naked on webcam :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Hahaha, MSN... oh I had so many filthy chats on there, back in the days when girls weren't savvy of the dangers of getting naked on webcam :lol:
    One of my mates tried that trick on me. Luckily I wasnt biting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    To grab attention and direct other forum users to open the thread and comment. A point you have now proven
    lol You are so amusing.

ReputationRep:
    I joined not long after it became available to non-students (late 2006?) but I didn't start regularly using it until more people I knew joined it about a year later; I used Myspace, MSN and Faceparty instead. I had Bebo and a few other accounts but never went on them that often.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just looked, can't tell exactly when I joined but my first status was June 2006...I actually remember writing it. Can't believe that's almost a decade ago! Worrying! I didn't start using it as my main social media platform (haha!) until a year later, I was still stuck on MySpace till then.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.