Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsBusy1998)
    Thank you for your reply. I mostly get my acne on my face, although I use to get it pretty serious on my back and chest but that cleared up around 2/3 years ago and I just get the odd spot on my back. What side effects did you get?
    Within the first week of taking it my skin got really dry and my lips were dry and chapped 24/7. My eyes were dry and itchy and I got some back pain and achy joints. My skin also went super sensitive and everything felt itchy. There were also lots of small things which would come and go and although none of the side effects were too serious, the fact that some of them were constant and slightly painful just made my mood really low. I took it whilst I was sitting my AS exams and I think it had a huge impact on my performance in them mostly due to just feeling tired and lacking motivation.

I've heard that you can take a lower dose but spread it out over a longer period of time which should have the same effect as taking a larger dose, but minimise the side effects. Definitely consider it, I think you should really push for a referal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm super convinced to go on it as my acne gets me so down and is only getting worse. I understand there's so much stigma attached though due to the side effects but I think I want to take the risk due to the mental effects I'm suffering due to acne
    Yeah. I find it ****ed up that acne comes along during the years where you're the most conscious of your looks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm 17 years old and have had acne since I was 11. I've tried duac once daily, zineryt, lymecycline and skineron. I have just been prescribed Dianette the birth control pill (co-cyprindiol). I've nearly finished my first 21 days and all I've noticed is that my acne is getting worse. I desperately want to get a referral but my GP says I have to try Dianette for 3 months but I know it won't work as my acne is severe and roaccutane is most probably needed. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the pill, and your roaccutane experience? What treatment has been effective for you?

Thanks.
    I feel exactly like you! I've been battling with acne for so long now, but I have finally managed to cure it. I've been blessed with a miracle.

Just like you, I felt as if I've tried everything, and I remember zineryt helping me but the acne would come back after a while. I even took antibiotics for a very long time, they did help a lot, but as everything else at one point it stopped working, it also caused some horrendous stomach problems for me so now I have to take even more medication. I then started taking birth control pills, not just for my acne but also for my very painful periods. This decreased the amount of my acne by a little bit, but then after a while it was as bad as it used to be, and whenever I took breaks it would come back even worse.

During this summer holiday I went to see a professional doctor who prescribed me with 'Curacne' (I take the 40mg dose). By looking at my acne, the doctor decided how much I should take and decided that 2 months of curacne will help me. Unfortunately I've only managed to take it for about 4 weeks, as one of the side effects of this medication is that it really dries you out. I already have problems with my dry skin, and dry eyes, so at one point it was just too uncomfortable for me. However apart from the side effects which were only minor as I stopped taking them, It is a miracle. Even though I did not take the whole dose, I am acne free. Okay, I have about 2 tiny pimples right now, but considering the state I was in, I feel amazing. If only I took the whole dose my skin would be flawless. I no longer have to wear foundation to hide any imperfections, I never thought this would happen after battling with acne for so long.

I should also mention, that even though my acne is hormonal, it would get worse depending on whether I ate healthy or not. So even though I have a healthy diet, if one day I decided to eat some crisps, the next day I would wake up with more acne. After the treatment this is no longer a problem, I can enjoy unhealthy snacks without worrying about my skin. It's amazing!

I really recommend curacne. Even though I experienced dry skin, it doesn't mean you will, and I think a few days into the treatment of dry skin is worth the acne-free outcome. I have no idea whether curacne needs to be prescribed by your doctor, but if it's necessary I really recommend going to the doctors. I really hope that I can help you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that straight after taking curacne, it is normal to experience 1-2 weeks of intensified breakouts, this is only because your body is getting rid of everything that has been accumulating underneath your skin. Once everything comes out, it will not come back again. It is totally worth it, I promise.

ReputationRep:
    I may have that too. A few women in my family do and I seem to have the symptoms: e.g. Acne, excess hair growth, irregular periods
    Same, are you overweight? I am 65kg and my ideal is 55. ¬___¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    x
    Hey Cavy, please read my post on the next page, maybe it can help with your acne. I know exactly how you feel, I too had to struggle with acne for so many years :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    try drinking more water
    Water is the key to gorgeous skin but with acne the OP probz needs something strong
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Hey Cavy, please read my post on the next page, maybe it can help with your acne. I know exactly how you feel, I too had to struggle with acne for so many years :grouphugs:
    aww thank you fleming, you are so sweet :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    aww thank you fleming, you are so sweet :lovehug:
    No problem!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly other people's experiences are unlikely to help you. Different types of acne are caused by different factors. So it could be all very well and good someone saying you should eat a completely clean diet and no sugar and your acne will clear up, but if your acne is caused by something else it won't do any good. Your best bet is a dermatologist and a battery of tests, then go off their professional opinion on what treatment is needed. And remember results aren't always immediate and it can sometimes get worse before it gets better.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless, no one should suffer with spots on their skin.

ReputationRep:
    Ask to be prescribed epiduo gel; - it contains adapalene which is a similar form of isotretonoin, it also has benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) which is useful. If you get this prescribed, use it once daily in the evening. Additionally, you could use a benzoyl peroxide based product for the day time: currently a lot of products are out of stock, if you manage to get any quinoderm then use that in the morning, alternatively you can get acnecide gel which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide. Just ensure you wear sunscreen on days that are sunny (even if there is little cloud) to avoid hyperpigmentation. Roaccutane has a lot of side effects so just keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

Also diet doesn't make much difference with acne. The only real link is that if you get an upset stomach to certain foods, e.g. if you don't stomach a certain food well it causes an inflammatory reaction in the body which is linked to acne (that's the only possible explanation that I found). Also general cleansing, don't try too many harsh products on your face, some products advertised contain merely nothing such as the simple range. Try a mask of honey, real lemon juice along with soya milk and I advise crushing a little aspirin (if you have big red spots) - but don't use the aspirin if you are under 16 years old. Apply with a cotton ball and leave for 10-20 minutes, it may cause little stinging and irritation but it helps. Remember, each case is different and our skin is not the same, what may work for someone else might not work for others. Give it time when starting treatments as some medicines may take up to 2 months to show any difference. Be confident - you're not alone and plenty others suffer from acne

ReputationRep:
    i started getting acne at around 11, started treatment at 12 with topical lotions but pretty soon after that i went on to antibiotics as nothing helped. At 15 they put me on dianette for 2 months as we saw no results whatsoever, it was only getting worse. Finally I got roactutane which left me with normal skin after about a month, and completely clear skin in about 3. It has now been 2 years sice i started roacc and a few months back i started to get a few spots on my chin, and would flare up to a certain degree around my time of the month, so i got Duac and now my skin is literlly so clear, i maybe got one spot a month.
    BTW my skin before roacc was so severe, i am yet to see anyone with acne as severe as what mine was *shivers*

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Argan oil? I used to have bright red acne all over my face and back during puberty and it was really itchy, uncomfortable and embarrassing.

I tried a lot of medicinal creams but I discovered a miracle in Argan oil when I was vacationing in Morocco once.

Argan oil comes from the argan nuts in Morocco and is very rich in vitamin e, omega 6 fatty acids and antioxidants. It's surprisingly non greasy and just absorbs into your skin. Gradually I found the oil reduced the inflammation and a lot of scarring.

It's hard to find pure organic Argan oil in the UK as a lot of sellers e.g. Body shop or garnier sell diluted Argan oil, mixed with other oils but there is one brand I use that is affordable and 100% pure. I would recommend Maison D'Argan (maisondargan.com), they sell 100ml pure Argan oil for £15. A real bargain and a totally natural cure to acne in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Always wash your face with anti acne soap at night before goin' to sleep. It prevents your face from acne.
    It might help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.