Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    IBs regularly pay graduate software devs that much, so do the top software houses (FB, Google etc) and startups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't use the word "regularly", outside the country in the US - yeah. I'm working for an international bank branch in London and we don't pay nearly that much to our grad developers. I've worked for IBM, again around 30k ish in London. Google I can imagine, yes would do so but most IB's wouldn't do so. Neither would most startups.I'd probably say instead of "regularly" it would be "some of the top, top software houses pay 40k to the best grads in overly competitive jobs even with those qualifications". Either way, the average in London is about 30k and 25k outside, something like that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ron_trns)
    I wouldn't use the word "regularly", outside the country in the US - yeah. I'm working for an international bank branch in London and we don't pay nearly that much to our grad developers. I've worked for IBM, again around 30k ish in London. Google I can imagine, yes would do so but most IB's wouldn't do so. Neither would most startups.I'd probably say instead of "regularly" it would be "some of the top, top software houses pay 40k to the best grads in overly competitive jobs even with those qualifications". Either way, the average in London is about 30k and 25k outside, something like that.
    Well, I'm fairly certain the likes of JPMorgan, Goldman, Barclays Capital pay around the ~£40-42k range for graduate software devs, based on the offer letters I've seen.

Yeah, IBM is £30k. Some other tech consulting firms (namely Newton and CHP) pay above the odds though.

Generally agree with your conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Uni doesn't dictate a salary you nugget, neither does degree class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You trying to tell me there's 0 correlation between the two? Exactly, there's obviously correlation and therefore it is "kind of" (direct quote) dependent. Please stop trying to be right all of the time, this is ridiculous.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    You trying to tell me there's 0 correlation between the two? Exactly, there's obviously correlation and therefore it is "kind of" (direct quote) dependent. Please stop trying to be right all of the time, this is ridiculous.
    Lol, I find it fun tbh.

Also correlation =/= causation. People at top unis land the best paying jobs because they are smart, not because of the degree they have. If they went to a different uni, they'd still be able to land the job. People get confused by this and claim that their uni is the cause of higher salaries when it is in fact, the individual themselves.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    I'll concede that it does depend on which angle you're looking at it from.

You're right that attending a certain elite University will not guarantee employment anywhere.

However, attending a different University could preclude you from employment in some places (the company to which I was referring auto-rejects applicants who didn't go to a University they consider to be good enough).

The second point is what I was talking about. In that example, the University you attend directly dictates your eligibility for employment
    I agree with you, it all depends on the industry/companies you aim for. Some are more elitist than others, some couldn't give a crap about where you did your degree.

The trouble with this is that people begin to generalise based on loose statistics about what they 'expect' to earn after their top degrees. Which inevitably leads to disappointment when they realise that they aren't fit for the roles (or companies) that pay these obscene amounts.

True, but one siloed example of, I imagine, a very small company is hardly enough of a proportion of the entire high paying grad scheme landscape.

It's an interesting debate and I fall very much on the 'ability' end of the spectrum, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gherk)
    I graduated in July and am looking for software development roles. What kind of salary is normal for an entry level position like this? Many junior roles I see offer salaries in the 20-25k range. 20k does seem a bit low.
    We are recruiting for developers at the moment.

- What languages are you familiar with?
    - Do you have a GitHub profile with projects to show?
    - Any commercial experience as a developer? How many years?

If you can answer those, I'll let you know the salary range.

If you have no experience or cannot produce any portfolio, then not interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)

I'm currently looking into creating a portfolio. I'm not sure what sorts of projects I should put into it, though. I don't want to just dump every small thing I've done. I'm also looking for new project ideas. What kind of projects would impress in terms of size/complexity? I'm most familiar with Java.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gherk)
    I'm currently looking into creating a portfolio. I'm not sure what sorts of projects I should put into it, though. I don't want to just dump every small thing I've done. I'm also looking for new project ideas. What kind of projects would impress in terms of size/complexity? I'm most familiar with Java.
    There's nothing wrong with adding multiple projects to your profile, small or large. Your final year project from university would be a good idea.

What do you mean what kind of projects? You should already have done some work by now, whether for free (for charities, non-profit etc.), freelancing, personal projects etc.

Are you saying that you haven't even done anything yet?

What role are you looking for exactly? A Java developer?

Any experience of frameworks? Testing? JUnit? Spring? Web servers? DBMS (Oracle, MySQL MS SQL etc.)? What OS's have you worked on, which IDEs? Any scripting exposure? TDD? Agile?

Test yourself: https://www.codecademy.com

No experience in the real world whatsoever, you're looking at about £16K - £18K (learning on the job) and that's if you're lucky enough to land the job in the first place due to competition. Once you've got 1 years experience, you're looking at £20K - £25K. After 3 years experience, £25K - £40K+.

You will always be learning on the job in this field.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you should just concentrating on getting a job as your salaries going to get higher later on but good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I'm just happy about the £29,000 average I'm being told about for after my course. Something to look forward to...
    Chem eng?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Chem eng?
    Elec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Elec
    Pft. Im not sure youll get that.. Average is probably 25-6k. What year and uni you go?

ReputationRep:
    Pft. Im not sure youll get that.. Average is probably 25-6k. What year and uni you go?
    Looking at Southampton

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjec...eturnTo/Search

ReputationRep:
    Ooo! Rather appealing! How is the course, do you learn to program?

ReputationRep:
    Ooo! Rather appealing! How is the course, do you learn to program?
    We do indeed, but it sounds like a lot of the focus is on the hardware it's all interlinked though...

ReputationRep:

Just curious, what languages are you interested in?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Just curious, what languages are you interested in?
    Looking for people familiar with Redis, AWS (including Elastic Beanstalk, ElastiCache etc.), AngularJS, NodeJS, any experience with reactive JS would be a bonus. PHP, MySQL, exposure to MVC frameworks (preferably Laravel 4.2 - 5.1+) but don't mind CodeIgniter and Symfony etc. along with Elixir/Gulp and Guzzle or similar, Composer, Vagrant or Homestead.

Sagepay, OmniPay, PayPal integration a bonus.

MongoDB a bonus.

Scripting (UNIX/Linux) or at least some experience of using such operating systems.

At the very least, LAMP experience with MVC and APIs is essential and the rest can be provided with training.

ReputationRep:
    Looking for people familiar with Redis, AWS (including Elastic Beanstalk, ElastiCache etc.), AngularJS, NodeJS, any experience with reactive JS would be a bonus. PHP, MySQL, exposure to MVC frameworks (preferably Laravel 4.2 - 5.1+) but don't mind CodeIgniter and Symfony etc. along with Elixir/Gulp and Guzzle or similar, Composer, Vagrant or Homestead.

Sagepay, OmniPay, PayPal integration a bonus.

MongoDB a bonus.

Scripting (UNIX/Linux) or at least some experience of using such operating systems.

At the very least, LAMP experience with MVC and APIs is essential and the rest can be provided with training.
    Is this a junior position or a position for someone with several years of experience?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Is this a junior position or a position for someone with several years of experience?
    Both. The salary would of course vary depending on experience. If coming in as a junior, you'll be going through existing code, bug fixing and testing for the most part until you're up to speed with things. You won't be coding anything 'new' straight away, when you eventually do, it will be reviewed via merge requests normally through our version control.

Oh and version control experience is important (we use Git).

ReputationRep:
    Both. The salary would of course vary depending on experience. If coming in as a junior, you'll be going through existing code, bug fixing and testing for the most part until you're up to speed with things. You won't be coding anything 'new' straight away, when you eventually do, it will be reviewed via merge requests normally through our version control.

Oh and version control experience is important (we use Git).
    Oh, I see. But are you asking the same requirements (the ones you listed) for both the junior version and the experienced version of the job?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.