Turn on thread page Beta

If I wanted to Visit a mosque or any synagogue watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    If you're Coptic then you're not Eastern Orthodox, you're Oriental Orthodox.
    But it originated in Egypt hence why I used the term 'eastern'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    But it originated in Egypt hence why I used the term 'eastern'
    When people say Eastern Orthodox they mean the religious branch which broke off from the Eastern Roman Empire (not that it's in the East direction). You're Oriental not Eastern.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in London, you may be interested in this free Islam Awareness Course at the LMC:

http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/n...areness-course

ReputationRep:
    as long as you are cover up it does not matter and no you do not have to wear a headscarf i don't know about

speaking as a Muslim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    When people say Eastern Orthodox they mean the religious branch which broke off from the Eastern Roman Empire (not that it's in the East direction). You're Oriental not Eastern.
    I know,they have those churches in Russia and I've been before but I was referring in terms of direction

ReputationRep:
    for a mosque, just don't wear anything too revealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Well if you want to visit a mosque or synagogue to understand more about a religion because you didnt know much about then, stands to reason youd visit a pagan group for that reason too
    I forgot all about paganism,I didn't say I wouldn't visit,luckily the tsr member brought it to my attention.
    DeathGuardElite thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If you ever get a chance to go to Abu Dhabi go visit the Shiekh Zayed Grand Mosque. They even have tour guides lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tso)
    If you ever get a chance to go to Abu Dhabi go visit the Shiekh Zayed Grand Mosque. They even have tour guides lol
    I've already been twice! Heard about it during my Emirates flight about places to visit in Dubai including sheikh zayed road etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when going to a mosque if you want you can just loosely wear a scarf on your head just out of respect. But I dont think anyone would mind if you didnt, if anything they'll appreciate the visit from a non-Muslim because we are taught to respect all religions.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking Greek Orthodox churches too,Methodist churches. With a church it's kind of the same but with a mosque and synagogue they have different practices,if you get my drift?

Stefan
    Zuki
    Guys if you know of any great churches from your culture let me know
    My church is Serbian Christian Orthodox, though anyone is welcome. It's very traditional, special clothing, food, drinks etc. It's just next to North Kensington Library. Website is here http://www.spclondon.org/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    My church is Serbian Christian Orthodox, though anyone is welcome. It's very traditional, special clothing, food, drinks etc. It's just next to North Kensington Library. Website is here http://www.spclondon.org/.
    Shukran. Funnily enough the Coptic church is located near Kensington high street!

ReputationRep:
    Shukran. Funnily enough the Coptic church is located near Kensington high street!
    Maybe I've seen it, what is it called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Maybe I've seen it, what is it called?
    St marks. Have you seen it before?

ReputationRep:
    St marks. Have you seen it before?

I've never heard of the Kensington one, but when I go to Croatia most summers, there's a St Marks over there I visit, generally a great time. Visit chruch, light a few candles etc then there tends to be an after party with traditional food and dance etc...they give us these bracelet things which is supposed to be a 'god is always with you' type thing, and we're not supposed to take them off, but they really start to smell like a drying wet towel after a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    I've never heard of the Kensington one, but when I go to Croatia most summers, there's a St Marks over there I visit, generally a great time. Visit chruch, light a few candles etc then there tends to be an after party with traditional food and dance etc...they give us these bracelet things which is supposed to be a 'god is always with you' type thing, and we're not supposed to take them off, but they really start to smell like a drying wet towel after a while

We can visit each other's churches. And will I get one free bracelet too,looks like a cool accessory!

ReputationRep:
    There's a Coptic church not far from where I live. It's a very beautiful building, I'm curious over how large their congregation is.

ReputationRep:
    We can visit each other's churches. And will I get one free bracelet too,looks like a cool accessory!
    Hahaha yes! You're more than welcome to come They only give them out for free on certain events, otherwise they're like £3 or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Hahaha yes! You're more than welcome to come They only give them out for free on certain events, otherwise they're like £3 or so
    I don't mind paying,looks really stylish too

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. I know Jewish women wear skirts and rights. And show little to no skin at all. I don't much about synagogues as such,just that there's a big Hasidic community in both London and golders green
    Hasidic synagogues may have really harsh rules. Dress modestly and don't wear a cross. You may be asked to use a head covering.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.