Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you adapt to stupid people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    Sometimes you have to though, it's difficult to avoid it. Like on a train or even at work if someone sits by you at lunch and just starts blabbing away...
    Just nod your head and just say 'yes' and 'mhmmm' while they're talking. Works for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    But she's right though, isn't she? He is mean. Even if it is because of his mental health disorder. It's part of who he is.
    Well, first of all she didn't understand my argument at all. It wasn't simply that we should say everything is down to mental illness but that we should closely look at the pre morbid personality and also take into account the burden of mental illness indirectly. Then you have to ask yourself, how would any reasonable perso know have reacted to these circumstances and then come to a conclusion on who is to blame.

She is right to say he was mean, yeah. But how one should react to that is the point of contention.

ReputationRep:
    'Stupid' people tend to be the most genuine and kind because of their lack of awareness, so in fact I prefer them over the surgeon snob who thinks he's superior because those types of people tend to be just as judgmental and unpleasant. Sort of like Katie Hopkins

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of trouble talking to people who aren't that smart. I am too advanced for them. I will give you an example,

There's a nurse who said to me "I really hate that patient X - he's so mean". Patient X has paranoid Schizophrenia. Then I gave her this wonderfully reasoned explanation on how it's very difficult to delineate "true" personality traits from psychopathology when people have enduring mental illness and it's unfair to just say "he's mean". And she was just like.... "Huh".

And then there's people who find talking about any sexual topic really really really funny or people who listen to Nicki Minaj - stuff like that...

It's my own short-coming. How do other people do it? TSR is full of clever people and I'm sure you have to deal with stupid people from time to time, give me some tips?
    Name:  y da*** u lyin.png
Views: 55
Size:  205.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    'Stupid' people tend to be the most genuine and kind because of their lack of awareness, so in fact I prefer them over the surgeon snob who thinks he's superior because those types of people tend to be just as judgmental and unpleasant. Sort of like Katie Hopkins
    Yes I agree they to tend to be more genuine and kind but then that's not useful if you don't want to spend lots of time with them. I'm not a surgeon.

I'm not openly judgemental or unpleasant about anyone in public - that would just be mean. But I'm not the only one that has thoughts like this. I am just different because I talk about them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i try to end the conversation as quickly as possible with something like ''ahhhh really?''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i try to end the conversation as quickly as possible with something like ''ahhhh really?''
    Lol yeh me too
    I go with "ahhh wow"

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree they to tend to be more genuine and kind but then that's not useful if you don't want to spend lots of time with them. I'm not a surgeon.

I'm not openly judgemental or unpleasant about anyone in public - that would just be mean. But I'm not the only one that has thoughts like this. I am just different because I talk about them.
    How does that make sense? Why does being 'useful' become a requirement in making a friend? I've done better than my friends at school and many of them won't be going to be university, do I care what their educational background is or how clever they are? No. At the end of it all, they're my dear friends who've seen me through thick and thin and I'll cherish them regardless because they're decent human beings.

Well perhaps you and others who think like that can group together and make a squad and you're not different, there's already a woman saying stuff like this in the press for a living You're going to miss out on a lot of genuine friendships if you carry on with that kind of mindset.

ReputationRep:
    How stupid is stupid??

The ones who can't understand big words
    or crazy/idiotic people
    or the ones who do really bad at school??

Because I'm all of the above
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't worry AG I'm just crazy odd ball

ReputationRep:
    Find a common interest and exhaust that topic. Although I would class myself as an intelligent person, I have a lot of interests that the common stupid human may hold. Like football or gaming or alcohol or *****es. Provided you don't need to discuss intellectual topics to hold a discussion with someone, it's not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Just go with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you define stupid. If you were a bit more observant, you'd probably notice that even people who don't excel in logic and rational thinking (as you imply you do) usually have some other benefit; be that a personality trait or proficiency in another school of thought. People aren't one-dimensional, and it's pretty snobbish to think of your encounters with fundamentally different people as forced, as if they're so below you that they're not even worth your time.

If someone doesn't think the same way you do, then don't force them into a conversation they might not be able to have. Or maybe let them teach you a few things about character and substance. Sounds like you need a few lessons...

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to contradict them. You worry about hurting their feelings. So it's very easy to fall in to the trap of making stupid people feel intelligent. Like nodding your head to everything they say, or even putting the unintelligent things they say into your own intelligent words to make them feel like they're bright. It's impossible really because at the end of the day people don't like being told they're wrong. And stupid people are wrong all the time. If they can't have a sense of humour about that then **** em. Not worth the time.

ReputationRep:
    If someone is being dumb/ignorant, I generally just vaguely nod my head and move on/change topics, 99% of the time trying to challenge their opinion isn't worth the hassle.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I either ignore them or chat to them while thinking about or doing other things.

ReputationRep:
    RKO them.

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of trouble talking to people who aren't that smart. I am too advanced for them. I will give you an example,

There's a nurse who said to me "I really hate that patient X - he's so mean". Patient X has paranoid Schizophrenia. Then I gave her this wonderfully reasoned explanation on how it's very difficult to delineate "true" personality traits from psychopathology when people have enduring mental illness and it's unfair to just say "he's mean". And she was just like.... "Huh".

And then there's people who find talking about any sexual topic really really really funny or people who listen to Nicki Minaj - stuff like that...

It's my own short-coming. How do other people do it? TSR is full of clever people and I'm sure you have to deal with stupid people from time to time, give me some tips?
    As much as it's a bit harsh calling people stupid (especially if they're perfectly nice people), I kinda understand what you mean.

I find talking to people perhaps not as "academic" as me pretty easy, just talk to them about things they're comfortable talking about.

With regards to your issue

I would have just explained he has a mental disability and can't help it, it's an illness, like cancer but of the mind, I dunno. Make it simple.

ReputationRep:
    You did not just use Katie Hopkins as an example of an intelligent person. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Katie Hopkins is not smart, She claims to be. Bush claims he didn't do 9/11, do I believe him? Please forget the idea that Katie Hopkins is "smart" I don't care what she's done in her life, whether she went to Oxbridge or even if she did the most difficult degree to this day. She will always be a stupid, ignorant racist *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    You did not just use Katie Hopkins as an example of an intelligent person. :lol:
    Katie Hopkin is an attention whoring asswipe, but it's quite obvious to me that she's very intelligent. I have my doubts whether she even believes most of the absurd views she says she does, but she's clearly very good at trolling and earning media spotlight (and therefore money) out of it.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.