Turn on thread page Beta

I cannot decide between law and medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does it HAVE to be one of these professions?

ReputationRep:
    Don't study law if you're not interested in it. You can always switch to becoming a lawyer with another degree.

And Suits is a gross misrepresentation of what lawyers do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint Etienne)
    Does it HAVE to be one of these professions?
    Yes because my ultimate dream job is politician, however, this is unrealistic and it is hard to make something fo yourself in politics and get a good well-paid postition.To get a good position in politics you must have contacts and it is not a job that has a specific root to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    First year medic here and I can confidently tell you that if you're the slightest bit unsure about medicine or law, you would not cope well on the course and you will definetely hate it or drop out as the workload is immense and it would be so dull for someone who doesn't LOVE biological sciences. If you like humanities more, then go for law cause you'll hate it here.
    What utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    First year medic here and I can confidently tell you that if you're the slightest bit unsure about medicine or law, you would not cope well on the course and you will definetely hate it or drop out as the workload is immense and it would be so dull for someone who doesn't LOVE biological sciences. If you like humanities more, then go for law cause you'll hate it here.
    Nonsense. There's no way you can be absolutely sure whether it's for you until you've actually studied it. Harbouring no doubt simply means you haven't thought about it hard enough. There are plenty of downsides to being a medic and doctor even to people who have dreamt about saving lives since they were toddlers or whatever other kind of bs applicants come out with.

The workload is immense, but it is manageable to a competent student who works hard enough. You just need to consider whether being in a clinical setting from 9-5 every day and talking to patients and fellow work professionals most of the time is for you, as that's what the rest of your life is likely to be (with some exceptions). That's where work experience and volunteering - i.e. getting a feel for life in hospitals/GPs and most importantly actually talking to people (!) in an empathetic and considerate manner - is crucial.

And I don't 'love' biological sciences and did well in my preclinical years. It's about how much work you put in. Don't exaggerate. I know people who had their hearts set on medicine at the beginning now absolutely hating it, and even the vice versa scenario. It's very difficult to know as an applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    What utter nonsense.
    Do all medics love the word 'nonsense'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Do all medics love the word 'nonsense'?
    Lol I contemplated "garbage". My post was before yours though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day, you're going to need experience in both fields before you reach a good salary and have 'friendly' working hours so that shouldn't affect your choice. I would say the fact that you want to help people and have a natural interest in medicine and surgery (as opposed to forcing yourself to enjoy it), you should go down that route- no one starts a medicine degree fully ready for the type of work and as you say, 'balancing chemical equations' and all that! just an opinion though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Yes because my ultimate dream job is politician, however, this is unrealistic and it is hard to make something fo yourself in politics and get a good well-paid postition.To get a good position in politics you must have contacts and it is not a job that has a specific root to get into.
    Which party do you intend to join as a politician?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this sounds rather naïve but why don't you just study politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Which party do you intend to join as a politician?
    labour or liberal democrats.However I am not sure because I am not so fond of the new Labour leader so liberal democrats.

ReputationRep:
    My mum always says do what makes you happy,but they both do to some degree.

Medicine
    -lots of over time
    -lots of studying
    -little pay compared to the work you do

Law
    -might be boring
    -may not be like I think it is
    -you might deal with some unpleasant people
    -the pay may be good but it may be bad it depends
    Tbh, this will be the case in every profession you go into. There will be people you get along with, others you don't, and a certain few you will want to push off the edge of a cliff.

I started off studying for a law degree (did a year and a half) then switched to medicine. Now in my fourth year.
    Now, looking back, even though I enjoy medicine more and see how it worked out better for me, I do sometimes wish I could have been more suitable for law. It's a shorter degree, and all my friends from my law class who graduated with a 2:1 are now in good jobs. Not necessarily solicitors/barristers, but then, those that aren't didn't want to be. Quick career progression is more of a possibility with a law degree. It lends itself well to many different job roles.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to law then. Allows you to jump ship more easily. PPE/history is more for the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    You don't really seem ready for university if you ask me. Both Medicine and Law are totally different subjects with totally different skill sets required in general.

You'd be better off taking a year out, researching options and getting yourself some work experience across the board so you can make an informed decision.

You don't really want to be making silly decisions because you felt rushed or something.

ReputationRep:
    If you are in yr13/ second year of A Levels, I'm afraid its too late to do medicine. The ucas deadline was on the 15th oct.
    If you aren't, get work experience in both law/medicine kind of jobs so that you can see what its like. Do some job shadowing or ask your school for advice on that.
    Watch youtube videos on peoples experiences doing law/medicine.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    write law and medicine on two separate papers, put them in a hat, then close your eyes and choose one of the papers. the one you choose is the one thats meant for you.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: silly comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricefarmer)
    If you are in yr13/ second year of A Levels, I'm afraid its too late to do medicine. The ucas deadline was on the 15th oct.
    If you aren't, get work experience in both law/medicine kind of jobs so that you can see what its like. Do some job shadowing or ask your school for advice on that.
    Watch youtube videos on peoples experiences doing law/medicine.
    good luck
    I have no picked my a levels yet I have time to decide but I prefer to make decisions for the future,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer_param)
    at the end of the day, you're going to need experience in both fields before you reach a good salary and have 'friendly' working hours so that shouldn't affect your choice. I would say the fact that you want to help people and have a natural interest in medicine and surgery (as opposed to forcing yourself to enjoy it), you should go down that route- no one starts a medicine degree fully ready for the type of work and as you say, 'balancing chemical equations' and all that! just an opinion though!!
    I know I they do not hire people my age I need to be 16 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    Basically if it's the money, go for law only if you can get into a top 10 university, if it's for medicine then it doesn't matter where you go because you'll 99% end employed.
    Not everyone in legal fields makes ridiculous amounts. In fact, its only really the top lawyers (partners usually) who do. The others have to do a ridiculous amount of overtime and take on other work to get ridiculously good pay. It doesn't pay as well as people think. Also, unless you love the law and talking about it and believe in it, then you're going to get bored with it in time. There is a lot of paperwork, ongoing training and procedures to be followed by the book. I love shows like Suits as much as the next person but they don't have show a onesided view of what working in the legal sector is really like. On top of that, the amount of debt you need to get yourself into to start off is ridiculous also. It really isn't the golden ticket many naive teenagers think it is, especially considering the market is full of law graduates, many of whom are struggling to get training contracts at big firms.

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    Don't do law. It is massively over subscribed and there is already a surplus of law grads. Do something with a good likely hood of work at the end of it.
    This.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.