Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Colleague said something non-homophobic! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    So saying to someone that you don't agree with their lifestyle constitutes as 'attacking' them in your opinion? :rolleyes:
    Lifestyle? Hypothetical scenario goig to be presented here:
    "So saying to a black person that you don't agree with their lifestyle constitutes as 'attacking' them in your opinion? :rolleyes:"

And before you try argue this, it is entirely applicable. Imagine the different response garnered there hmm.
    But now I see that someone has already gotten to you first, and you say they're being pedantic.

(Original post by High Stakes)
    Threatening to smack them up is different. That's violence. And I don't understand your logic. Saying you don't agree with homosexuality equates to being homophobic? If your religion or faith says homosexuality is wrong, then that's what you believe. It doesn't mean that you're necessarily going to behave in a homophobic way towards gays,
    Definition update:

Homophobia means "fear of / irrationality/prejudice/discrimination against homosexuals."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Just saying (as opposing gay marriage is at heads with logic):
    - marriage predates religion, proving it is a separate entity altogether
    - marriage gives reduced taxes
    - marriage grants better hospital visitation rights to your partner
    - Last two points make it institutionalised discrimination
    - Marriage is a milestone for many in a relationship, and an intrinsic part of our culture. Is it not cruel to deny such?

Now tell me, how is it logical, or morally right to oppose gay marriage? Such irrationality, is unbecoming of humans.
    I never pointed out to myself personally, that it was morally right to oppose gay marriages.

I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion, except if it is an insult or threats with malicious intent, then people shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose what they find appealing to their taste buds yet berate those that oppose that view, as human right means equal right of speech for all whether he or she be right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh no not again!)
    I never pointed out to myself personally, that it was morally right to oppose gay marriages.

I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion, except if it is an insult or threats with malicious intent, then people shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose what they find appealing to their taste buds yet berate those that oppose that view, as human right means equal right of speech for all whether he or she be right or wrong.
    I never said you did (just saying.)
    I'm just saying that for all those reasons, it is beyond silly for other people to hold that opinion.
    And when they hold that opinion, and e.g go against the idea of gay marriage, if they at all hinder the progress, however negligible, that's discriminatory (institutionalised discrimination ones definitely.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    I never said you did (just saying.)
    I'm just saying that for all those reasons, it is beyond silly for other people to hold that opinion.
    And when they hold that opinion, and e.g go against the idea of gay marriage, if they at all hinder the progress, however negligible, that's discriminatory (institutionalised discrimination ones definitely.)
    Yeah I agree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.