Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Yeah that's what I meant, and I was talking about it from a religious point of view, like the punishment of the grave etc.
    Oh, I understand perfectly, thanks. I was just explaining how it's of little comfort to some as it is just a notion of justice that isn't religious, much rather closer to karma.

And the trials of the grave are a scary thing to think about, right. Crushing sides with the two ends of your grave touching, a snake coiled around you, worrying visions.

ReputationRep:
    Death will only hurt if you're a bad person. You should be fine
    Out of interest, can I ask, how do you know this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I was raised Christian and my grandma and great grandma are strict christians.
    I wanted to second the point that one cannot rely on their parents to become a Christian. Christianity involves belief in Jesus, and obviously you can't inherit that kind of belief. I would recommend you read the bible and see what you think. The gospel of John for instance is a good starter book. The bible talks about faith being a spiritual/supernatural thing, requiring the holy spirit. Jesus referred to it as the 'Advocate', which would convince the world of righteousness, because many people did not believe in him, and of judgement and sin (John 16).

You'll also remember that according to the bible, 'whosoever believes in Jesus will not perish but have everlasting life'. If your great gran believes, then according to her belief, she will continue to live after she passes. That may be of comfort to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StolenPrivacy)
    Oh, I understand perfectly, thanks. I was just explaining how it's of little comfort to some as it is just a notion of justice that isn't religious, much rather closer to karma.

And the trials of the grave are a scary thing to think about, right. Crushing sides with the two ends of your grave touching, a snake coiled around you, worrying visions.
    I know horrible sights.
    May Allah protect us all from the punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Out of interest, can I ask, how do you know this?
    I'm speaking from a religious point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Do you adhere to any Christian teachings? Pray? Go to Church? Believe in the Resurrection? Believe in that trinity? Believe ultimately that Jesus represents God?

It's fine to have doubts about things -- in fact this is healthy. in philosophy of religion nobody would argue that you would need to have full or near-full knowledge of something to identify on a position of any form of (a)theism (see religious epistemology) so yes, you are a Christian, even if you have doubts of how to get to Heaven.
    I don't go to Church I like to practice on my own and pray on my own.I ty to follow the 10 commandments I did Re GCSE so I have knowledge of Christianity and other religions.I am worried I will not go to heaven.

ReputationRep:
    I'm speaking from a religious point of view.
    Sure, but I guess my question is, could you tell me about this teaching?

I am interested in understanding what it specifically means. For example, is it saying that the amount of pain felt during the time leading up to death is directly proportional to the amount of evil a person has done? Or is it talking about pain after death? Or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Sure, but I guess my question is, could you tell me about this teaching?

I am interested in understanding what it specifically means. For example, is it saying that the amount of pain felt during the time leading up to death is directly proportional to the amount of evil a person has done? Or is it talking about pain after death? Or something else?
    Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah, sure

I'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible, as there's a lot of information to this.

We believe when a person's time has come to leave this world, an angel comes to him to take his soul.

A hypocrite will have his soul removed in a harsh manner:

Quran: 'By those [angels] who extract with violence'.

A believer will have his soul removed in a gentle manner:

Quran: 'And [by] those who remove with ease.'

Who will receive the punishment in the grave?

-One that committed shirk (associated partners with God)
    -Hypocrites (claiming to be Muslim in public, but then committed acts of kufr)
    -Gossiper/backbiter
    - One that did not purify himself after urination

Again this is a very short explanation. To the bullet points above I have evidence and quotes of the Prophet (SAW) saying this. I didn't add them in as they would take up quite a bit of space on the page, however I can add them in a spoiler if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah, sure

I'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible, as there's a lot of information to this.

We believe when a person's time has come to leave this world, an angel comes to him to take his soul.

A hypocrite will have his soul removed in a harsh manner:

Quran: 'By those [angels] who extract with violence'.

A believer will have his soul removed in a gentle manner:

Quran: 'And [by] those who remove with ease.'

Who will receive the punishment in the grave?

-One that committed shirk (associated partners with God)
    -Hypocrites (claiming to be Muslim in public, but then committed acts of kufr)
    -Gossiper/backbiter
    - One that did not purify himself after urination

Again this is a very short explanation. To the bullet points above I have evidence and quotes of the Prophet (SAW) saying this. I didn't add them in as they would take up quite a bit of space on the page, however I can add them in a spoiler if you want.
    Thanks, that's alright, I see how that would take a lot of time. I have another question though. What is it that experiences the pain? Is it the soul?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Thanks, that's alright, I see how that would take a lot of time. I have another question though. What is it that experiences the pain? Is it the soul?
    No problem.
    I think it's the soul, not too sure though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.