Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhi_el)
    If your school doesn't offer Latin A level then have a gap year (I'm on one atm) and apply for the 4 year course next year. It's one year for the rest of your life, do what you love. You owe it to yourself
    That makes sense Don't most places dislike you doing a gap year though? And would it be considered a gap year if I went to college for A Level Latin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    That makes sense Don't most places dislike you doing a gap year though? And would it be considered a gap year if I went to college for A Level Latin?
    Nowhere discriminates against gap years as long as you do something useful... And that would still be a gap year, no colleges really teach Latin though. You would probably be better doing something different that year and applying to universities with beginners Latin and no Greek!

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere discriminates against gap years as long as you do something useful... And that would still be a gap year, no colleges really teach Latin though. You would probably be better doing something different that year and applying to universities with beginners Latin and no Greek!
    If I were aiming as high as Cambridge though (which with my current grades is perfectly reasonable) would it not be a necessity to do something in that gap year outside of just learning Latin again?

ReputationRep:
    If I were aiming as high as Cambridge though (which with my current grades is perfectly reasonable) would it not be a necessity to do something in that gap year outside of just learning Latin again?
    It would be best to ask the university but they didn't say that mine would put me at a disadvantage... I am doing useful things but surely you would want to do other stuff??

ReputationRep:
    It would be best to ask the university but they didn't say that mine would put me at a disadvantage... I am doing useful things but surely you would want to do other stuff??
    That would be good. What kind of stuff are you doing? ^^

ReputationRep:
    That would be good. What kind of stuff are you doing? ^^
    Going to Germany to gain working proficiency in German amongst other things... Keeping up my language learning!!!

ReputationRep:
    Going to Germany to gain working proficiency in German amongst other things... Keeping up my language learning!!!
    That's awesome, love the idea! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome, love the idea! Best of luck!
    Thank you!! Good luck with whatever you choose to do, I hope you pick whichever course of action feels right

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! Good luck with whatever you choose to do, I hope you pick whichever course of action feels right
    Thank you! I'll try my best

ReputationRep:
    My first degree was classics, at Oxford (St Hildas). I felt like I flunked the test, was interviewed five or six times at three different colleges, the other applicants at my college were dicks. It was pretty terrible. Then my Greek teacher got fired. Ha!
    Got in, had a great time, and left with a great education. What I'm trying to say is, don't get discouraged!
    It's nice to see there's still some enthusiasm for classics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasPassion)
    My first degree was classics, at Oxford (St Hildas). I felt like I flunked the test, was interviewed five or six times at three different colleges, the other applicants at my college were dicks. It was pretty terrible. Then my Greek teacher got fired. Ha!
    Got in, had a great time, and left with a great education. What I'm trying to say is, don't get discouraged!
    It's nice to see there's still some enthusiasm for classics
    Haha there's a lot of enthusiasm, never mind some!!! Also SkyRees try Latin camp, it's great! http://www.latincamp.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Haha there's a lot of enthusiasm, never mind some!!! Also SkyRees try Latin camp, it's great! http://www.latincamp.co.uk
    Will have a look, thanks for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Worth a tenner?

http://www.curzonblog.com/all-posts/...igence-squared

ReputationRep:
    Hi!! I'm a bit late to the thread but I've applied for Classics without having studied Greek or Latin before. :cute:
    I have offers from UCL and Bristol and I'm going to an interview at Oxford, but haven't heard anything from Durham + Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freya49)
    Hi!! I'm a bit late to the thread but I've applied for Classics without having studied Greek or Latin before. :cute:
    I have offers from UCL and Bristol and I'm going to an interview at Oxford, but haven't heard anything from Durham + Edinburgh
    Well done! If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your offer from UCL? And when did you get an invitation for interview at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebus Apollo)
    Well done! If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your offer from UCL? And when did you get an invitation for interview at Oxford?
    Thank you! I got the offer from UCL on 3 Nov and Oxford invited me on 18 Nov - it was Corpus Christi college if that helps, I know all the colleges do things at different times..

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm a hopeful classist also! I've got offers from Kings College London, Manchester and Sheffield (to do archaeology there though!) Still waiting on Leeds and UCL... UCL is my first choice! Seems a lot of people are starting to get offers from UCL now though so I'm worrying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottegrace)
    Hi I'm a hopeful classist also! I've got offers from Kings College London, Manchester and Sheffield (to do archaeology there though!) Still waiting on Leeds and UCL... UCL is my first choice! Seems a lot of people are starting to get offers from UCL now though so I'm worrying!
    Me too on almost all counts.

Waiting for UCL - I can be Estragon to your Vladimir

ReputationRep:
    Got offers from Warwick and Kings College, and an interview for Oxford but still waiting on UCL and Edinburgh. I just wish UCL would hurry up :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bucklanda03)
    Got offers from Warwick and Kings College, and an interview for Oxford but still waiting on UCL and Edinburgh. I just wish UCL would hurry up :/
    Me2!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.