Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garyshortall)
    is there anyway you can post them in here please?
    I just tried to upload it. unfortunately there is an error

ReputationRep:
    Christ I remember doing this last year- all I can say is nail the maths question at the beginning I think it's 16 marks and that will set you up well as long as you do reasonably well in the essay questions

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if it's poor quality, but here are some pictures of the practice questions from the APT pack:

http://i.imgur.com/QWH5rI2.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/SO83pzE.jpg

Links due to massive pictures :P

ReputationRep:
    Although it may seem quite a stupid question but can anyone tell me who VGL's customers are? thanks
    VGLs customers are both: business customers and the local authorities AND The spot market. The case study does say that VGL has two revenue streams (these are the two). Check the first page of the case study.

ReputationRep:
    is there anyway you can post them in here please?

Practise ExaminationQuestions
    1. To what extent are VGl’s2017 objectives realistic?
    2. Evaluate how specificobjectives might contribute to VGL’s success
    3. To what extent could aSWOT analysis aid the setting of realistic objectives? Justify your view.
    4. Evaluate whichstakeholder group is likely to be the most influential in the achievement ofVGL’s 2017 objectives
    5. Using evidence from thecase study, discuss the role of strategic management in achieving theobjectives of VGL
    6. Evaluate how differentstakeholder groups might view VGL’s objective to support at least one new majorcharitable community initative
    7. Recommend and justify astrategy to increase revenue by 6%(in real terms) by 2017
    8. VGL is described as‘efficiently run, dynamic and successful’ but ‘Phoebe is keen that the businesscontinues to improve’. Recommend and justify a strategy to improve theefficiency / performance of VGL
    9. The table below shows anupdated version of Table 1, incorporating a value for the next 4 quarters inthe time series. The trend has been calculated using Time Series Analysis, witha four period moving average. Using TSA, forecast the income for the nextquarter, using the figures and the incomplete graphon page 3 of the insert. Youare advised to show your workings.
    10. Critically discuss theappropriateness of using TSA as a means of forecasting revenues for budgetingpurposes
    11. Calculate 2 liquidityand 2 activity ratios for VGL for the year ending 2014/2015. You must give youranswers, as appropriate, correct to two decimal places.
    12. In an attempt to win twomore local authority contracts, Martin has suggested increasing the debtorcollection period offered. Using ratios and other financial information,critically discuss the implications of this strategy for VGL’s stakeholders
    13. Discuss how thestrategic direction of VGL might be affected by the arrival of a new recyclingbusiness in the Midlands.
    14. Discuss the possibleactions that VGL might have to take in light of increasing competition.
    15. Discuss how a change inUK economic growth / a downturn in economic growth might affect the achievementof VGL’s 2017 objectives / strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL.
    16. Discuss how a rise in UKunemployment / a period of sustained UK unemployment might affect theachievement of VGL’s 2017 objectives / strategic direction of VGL / success ofVGL
    17. Discuss how an increasein direct taxation might affect the achievement of VGL’s 2017 objectives /strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL
    18. Discuss how a rise in UKinterest rates might affect the achievement of VGL’s 2017 objectives /strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL.
    19. Discuss how changes inthe sterling exchange rate might affect the achievement of VGL’s 2017objectives / strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL
    20. Evaluate how VGL mightbe affected by increasingly stringent Health and Safety Legislation
    21. Discuss the issuesMichael should consider in seeking to implement his proposed changes to thetraining policy
    22. Evaluate how VGL mightimprove the effectiveness of its workforce’s contribution to achieving its 2017objectives
    23. Recommend and justify astrategy VGL could implement to encourage householders to ensure waste issorted appropriately.
    24. Should VGL diverse intothe textiles recycling market? Justify your view.
    25. Evaluate how Phoebemight assess the effectiveness of VGL
    26. Evaluate the extent towhich stakeholders are likely to view VGL as a successful business. Justifyyour view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vickyhr98)
    Practise ExaminationQuestions
    1. To what extent are VGl’s2017 objectives realistic?
    2. Evaluate how specificobjectives might contribute to VGL’s success
    3. To what extent could aSWOT analysis aid the setting of realistic objectives? Justify your view.
    4. Evaluate whichstakeholder group is likely to be the most influential in the achievement ofVGL’s 2017 objectives
    5. Using evidence from thecase study, discuss the role of strategic management in achieving theobjectives of VGL
    6. Evaluate how differentstakeholder groups might view VGL’s objective to support at least one new majorcharitable community initative
    7. Recommend and justify astrategy to increase revenue by 6%(in real terms) by 2017
    8. VGL is described as‘efficiently run, dynamic and successful’ but ‘Phoebe is keen that the businesscontinues to improve’. Recommend and justify a strategy to improve theefficiency / performance of VGL
    9. The table below shows anupdated version of Table 1, incorporating a value for the next 4 quarters inthe time series. The trend has been calculated using Time Series Analysis, witha four period moving average. Using TSA, forecast the income for the nextquarter, using the figures and the incomplete graphon page 3 of the insert. Youare advised to show your workings.
    10. Critically discuss theappropriateness of using TSA as a means of forecasting revenues for budgetingpurposes
    11. Calculate 2 liquidityand 2 activity ratios for VGL for the year ending 2014/2015. You must give youranswers, as appropriate, correct to two decimal places.
    12. In an attempt to win twomore local authority contracts, Martin has suggested increasing the debtorcollection period offered. Using ratios and other financial information,critically discuss the implications of this strategy for VGL’s stakeholders
    13. Discuss how thestrategic direction of VGL might be affected by the arrival of a new recyclingbusiness in the Midlands.
    14. Discuss the possibleactions that VGL might have to take in light of increasing competition.
    15. Discuss how a change inUK economic growth / a downturn in economic growth might affect the achievementof VGL’s 2017 objectives / strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL.
    16. Discuss how a rise in UKunemployment / a period of sustained UK unemployment might affect theachievement of VGL’s 2017 objectives / strategic direction of VGL / success ofVGL
    17. Discuss how an increasein direct taxation might affect the achievement of VGL’s 2017 objectives /strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL
    18. Discuss how a rise in UKinterest rates might affect the achievement of VGL’s 2017 objectives /strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL.
    19. Discuss how changes inthe sterling exchange rate might affect the achievement of VGL’s 2017objectives / strategic direction of VGL / success of VGL
    20. Evaluate how VGL mightbe affected by increasingly stringent Health and Safety Legislation
    21. Discuss the issuesMichael should consider in seeking to implement his proposed changes to thetraining policy
    22. Evaluate how VGL mightimprove the effectiveness of its workforce’s contribution to achieving its 2017objectives
    23. Recommend and justify astrategy VGL could implement to encourage householders to ensure waste issorted appropriately.
    24. Should VGL diverse intothe textiles recycling market? Justify your view.
    25. Evaluate how Phoebemight assess the effectiveness of VGL
    26. Evaluate the extent towhich stakeholders are likely to view VGL as a successful business. Justifyyour view.
    Sorry didn't see that they had already been put up:/

ReputationRep:
    Although it may seem quite a stupid question but can anyone tell me who VGL's customers are? thanks
    VGL's customers are business and local council's

ReputationRep:
    Definitely left revision too late for this haha. the case study states that VGL's materials are commodities but then it says they sell on spot markets? can someone clear this up for me

It means that as a commodity the product ( the processed materials) are no different to any of the competition and their processed materials but they chose to sell on spot markets ( where the profit for the selling of goods comes from 24 to 48 hours)

ReputationRep:
    No worries, thanks!! Do you have any answers on them?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a great case! So much obvious scope for potential questions.

I feel it's so likely there will be a 18/23 marker on the diversification into the textiles market - and perhaps the macroeconomics side being based upon exchange rates due to them trading on international spot markets.

Hope this helped, good luck in your exam!

Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophiamcgheex)
    I think it's a great case! So much obvious scope for potential questions.

I feel it's so likely there will be a 18/23 marker on the diversification into the textiles market - and perhaps the macroeconomics side being based upon exchange rates due to them trading on international spot markets.

Hope this helped, good luck in your exam!

Xx
    Yeah me too, would they ask for a couple of microeconomic factors effecting VGL or just specifically exchange rates?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too, would they ask for a couple of microeconomic factors effecting VGL or just specifically exchange rates?
    I believe they'll ask for a specific - say for example;"How would a rise in the value of the £ affect VGL's ability to diversify into the textiles market"Or unemployment is also a likely area 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophiamcgheex)
    I believe they'll ask for a specific - say for example;

"How would a rise in the value of the £ affect VGL's ability to diversify into the textiles market"

Or unemployment is also a likely area 😊
    Thanks! How would you go about answering it? Talk about how it may effect revenue and therefore the inability to afford to diversify?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! How would you go about answering it? Talk about how it may effect revenue and therefore the inability to afford to diversify?
    I tend to stick to a specific plan when answering essays -

For this particular one I'd do 2 pros and 2 cons of an increase in the value of the £.

Advantages would be things such as VGL gaining a higher profit for their processed goods on the international spot markets as the value of £ is higher - in turn this will potentially bring higher funds to give VGL the ability to diversify

Disadvantages are greater in this instance; it can be said their goods will be less appealing if they are more expensive to countries (such as Scandinavia) due to the value of the £ increasing and so these countries may choose to trade elsewhere with other countries - as we learn from the case the recycling industry is a very competitive one and so it won't be hard to find a substitute. In turn, this may hold VGL from diversifying, likewise if trade is falling it may be harder for VGL to gain sources of finance from creditors I.e. Banks as their profit & loss accounts may reflect the business negatively

ALTHOUGH it's CRUCIAL to notify in your essay that it depends solely on how much the value of the £ alters by. As if it's a very small subliminal amount, it's highly unlikely these countries will stop trading altogether.

Hope this helps a little! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzywhiz)
    VGL's customers are business and local council's
    And the spot market

ReputationRep:
    ' Evaluate how Phoebemight assess the effectiveness of VGL' and '8. VGL is described as‘efficiently run, dynamic and successful’ but ‘Phoebe is keen that the businesscontinues to improve’. Recommend and justify a strategy to improve theefficiency / performance of VGL'.
    How would you personally answer these?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a guide or any advice on how to answer questions? e.g. analyse, discuss etc.

ReputationRep:
    Mofo

ReputationRep:
    How would a period of sustained UK unemployment migh affect the success of VGL?
    What facots?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhhh11243)
    How would a period of sustained UK unemployment migh affect the success of VGL?
    What facots?
    cyclical- decrease in sales as less demand for bales

regional- lots of workers to choose from - decrease recruitment costs

frictional- people between jobs so income low affecting waste

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.