Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do older guys (30ish) like younger (23ish) women? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazjaz)
    Works for me My boyfriend is 5 years younger and way better than any guy my own age or older that I've dated. At the end of the day it's about the person.
    i like your style jaz, back at uni i was with an 18 year old in a fwb matter when i was 20 and he seemed to be grateful (and more obedient) for having a slightly older woman, also maybe more eager to please :P

but go you for not caring about age, i wish you a long and happy relationship : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepygirl)
    Although I currently have feelings for a 22 year old guy I met on my undergrad course (but trust me, that's not going to happen) as a 23 year old woman I do generally find older men (mid 20's to early 30's) more attractive because they have a certain maturity and they are just less naive and a little more cynical which I like. Having said this, if a guy my age is mature and has the qualities I'm looking for, I would be equally happy with him.
    I never knew cynicism can be an attractive quality. :laugh:

I jest, no kill me.

ReputationRep:
    Sebe..So you want to wait until later and settle down when you are 30 but if a girl does this she is a 'used up hag'? Or are you not planning on sleeping around before 30.. if not well ok your point is fair I'll let you off lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistyblue~)
    Sebe..So you want to wait until later and settle down when you are 30 but if a girl does this she is a 'used up hag'? Or are you not planning on sleeping around before 30.. if not well ok your point is fair I'll let you off lol.
    im not planning on sleeping around, im planning on building myself. if a girl has slept her way through life she can piss off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selfteaching)
    this is why women 30+ struggle to find men, because guys in that age bracket often prefer women a decade younger, and i seem surrounded by friends who are obsessed with finding "the one" at an early age so they don't end up having the problems slightly older women do (which i think is ridiculous) why latch on to your first boyfriend just in fear of never finding anyone else (it's especially common amongst the asian community,) get out there, live a little, explore your options, who you are in your late teens/early 20s isn't the same person you will be a few years down the line.

my sister is almost 31 and really struggling to find a man, she had her pick of them when she was younger but got messed around quite a bit, even she recommends finding a partner when you are younger because you are more adaptable to each other's ways and get to develop together etc.

i'm all for independence in your 20s rather than endlessly searching for relationships because that's when you're moulding your whole life and figuring out who you want to become, maybe that's why i'll be one of those bridget jones in my early 30s wondering where it all went wrong and bitter towards the attention younger girls get : D :cheers:

or i can just become a cougar
    Men don't worry about age why should women (unless you want kids). Just get a good career/social status and keep a physically attractive body and it's fine. It's when women let themselves go as they get older (from all the drinking/slower metabolism) that they become less attractive. It's like men growing beer bellies and losing their hair they become less attractive but they don't worry as much as women we worry too much about things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebe0062)
    im not planning on sleeping around, im planning on building myself. if a girl has slept her way through life she can piss off
    Ok that's fair enough I wouldn't want someone who had slept around either. This is what I want to build on myself first career/physical fitness etc then maybe settle down mid 30's. Some men have this view though that women who want to marry later are 'damaged goods', 'too career focused' even though they might not have slept around at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    I think girls should fully embrace their sexual appeal and blossom asap otherwise once they hit 26+, guys their age and older will look at women who are waaaay younger than they are. They'll properly feel the rejection guys have been feeling since the age of 16+ :rofl: :rofl:
    Not every woman turns busted on her 26th birthday. Some can be busted much younger or older. I'm a mature student and some of my 19 year old classmates have wrinkles, age spots and soft bodies already.

Plus what everyone has failed to mention is that marriages under the age of 26 are much more likely to end in divorce than marriages over the age of 26. If the youth (of women) were so paramount then the opposite would be true.

ReputationRep:
    Cos they're horny and want to get off with someone younger to satisfy their urges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selfteaching)
    i like your style jaz, back at uni i was with an 18 year old in a fwb matter when i was 20 and he seemed to be grateful (and more obedient) for having a slightly older woman, also maybe more eager to please :P

but go you for not caring about age, i wish you a long and happy relationship : )
    Yes I definitely feel more gratitude with him and he is very eager to please and makes an effort. I found the older guys I dated were very disappointing they were lazy thought they knew it all and moreover that they always knew better than me. The truth is in a relationship we should both learn from each other! It's all about being on the same wavelength and page and if you have that then the novelty of age soon wears off.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 29 and I'm personally fine with women around my age, the only problem is as you pointed out they tend to themselves prefer older guys, and I'm not very experienced either, so I'm not sure I'd be a first preference to many of them, which leaves me with women around the ages of 20-25.

What are your friends reasons for having boyfriends around the age of 28-34? Is it by accident, a coincidence or do they themselves specifically seek out guys in that age bracket?

What about guys your age who are within a year or two of you?
    I think it's about when they start work they're introduced to men of all different ages, as opposed to school and uni when everyone is within a couple of years of each other. And I know we definitely have had enough of immature boys who are still partying with freshers at 23. So when they met these older guys they realised that's much closer to what they're looking for in a person.

I'd have no problem being with someone my age. In my friendship group I don't fancy any of the guys, we go too far back, and the only new people I've met recently are from work, where the average age is 30 and I'm the youngest at work by about 3 years.

If anything I think this thread has given me fears of growing older single in case I turn into a "disillusioned old hag" or something along those lines :/

ReputationRep:
    Woops! I'm 30 and my girlfriend is 23.

In my defence it sort of just turned out that way.

It's sort of a notable phenomenon in dating and human sexuality anyway that girls generally prefer older guys, and guys prefer younger women.

Maybe it's some evolutionary bull**** like older guys have proven themselves worthy fathers to potential children by surviving that long, and younger women are healthier and more fertile. *shrug*

I really don't know. It's just a known trend.

As far as my relationship is concerned outside of actual adult stuff (responsibilities, emergencies) I'm effectively a man-child so if my g/f is looking for maturity she's barking up the wrong boyfriend. :I

As long as you're both consenting adults and it works well for all involved then why over-think it?

ReputationRep:
    younger girls are hotter they look more youthful and pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    Pretty much. I like women my own age (24) but when it gets to around 28 the bitterness a lot of women seem to have is a bit much..

To answer the original question, its because a lot of these women are more mentally free, fun and optimistic about the future.
    This is actually something which concerns me

Don't end up leaving marriage 'til say 35 years and end up marrying a bitter old harridan.

ReputationRep:
    You said it yourself.
    Maturity levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    I'm younger than you are OP, but I do feel a lot of women aged 28 and above have a kind of bitter hatred of the world to the point i don't think I would want to settle down with someone so bad on the inside.
    Blame feminism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebe0062)
    when im 30 and have a great degree, job , beast car and life is going mint. id want a sexy young 23 year old girl, to have fun with and maybe then marry. some girls at 30 are used up hags, who have had plenty of **** non stop for almost all their life and wanna settle down to the next schmuk that comes along.

LOL
    This is the truest thing i heard all week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    Blame feminism
    I don't blame anyone else, especially not feminism. I am a man, it is my responsibility to ensure I am not screwed over by life that is all.

ReputationRep:
    Because it is nature, every man wants a women who is around the age of 25 no matter how old they are. Between the ages of 18 and 29 your body is in its prime for baby making, our bodies are tuned into seeing this and therefore thats why man like hunger women.

Don't say all women don't date younger men, I'm 18 and have been with a 26 year old for a short time at one point this year...

ReputationRep:
    Because most women look their best in their early twenties whilst most men look their best in their early 30s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think late 20's/early 30's are the best times for women to marry. That's just my opinion. I have spent my 20's trying to figure out what I like, who I am and what I want. To have a man in the equation just complicated things. Your 20's should be your selfish years where you find yourself. And then can choose a suitable partner to partner that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.