Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

which northern uni to go to???? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tooly)
    And would the average employer differentiate between Sheffield and Manchester?
    I never said they would. Reread the thread and get back to me, if you must.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone!Newcastle is so far away from me but looks amazing!I don't know if its worth applying to Manchester as evige lys you say they are harsh markers? i achieved AAB at AS but am predicted AAA at A2 and i am not worried Manchester etc won't take me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashim123)
    What is it in your makeup that makes you physically unable to grasp the concept of being misinformed? I was misinformed, almost probably because of my bias toward Sheffield and because the prestigiousness of Sheffield Uni is all I ever hear about, and I have admitted as such. What is it about someone making a genuine blunder that gets so far up your arse and offends you so much? Think about the absurdity of your last post - you're berating someone for not having memorised a ****ing league table. I swear to God, the retards on this forum will grasp at anything they can just for the ego-massage of having one-upped someone. Get off the computer, get outside your house, and get a life with some goddamned perspective.
    You replied "Is it?" which made no sense in the context, other than to challenge the spoilered part of my message which contained a statement which said something to the effect of "Manchester is more prestigious". If I struggled to grasp anything it was because of your inability to express yourself clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    I never said they would. Reread the thread and get back to me, if you must.
    I never said you did, just curious.
    The rankings are pretty much redundant for undergraduates, as employers wouldn't care whether you went to Sheffield or Manchester. To an employer the 'prestige' is equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahmayy98)
    Thank you everyone!Newcastle is so far away from me but looks amazing!I don't know if its worth applying to Manchester as evige lys you say they are harsh markers? i achieved AAB at AS but am predicted AAA at A2 and i am not worried Manchester etc won't take me.
    Sheffield University is an awful lot nicer in pretty much every way, so I'd recommend Sheffield over Manchester any day (unless Manchester are miles ahead in terms of law).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tooly)
    I never said you did, just curious.
    The rankings are pretty much redundant for undergraduates, as employers wouldn't care whether you went to Sheffield or Manchester. To an employer the 'prestige' is equal.
    They might care if you went to Manchester instead of York for Law, though. York is a top-tier law school and OP should definitely consider it.

ReputationRep:
    You replied "Is it?" which made no sense in the context, other than to challenge the spoilered part of my message which contained a statement which said something to the effect of "Manchester is more prestigious". If I struggled to grasp anything it was because of your inability to express yourself clearly.
    I replied with an indifferent, facetious two-word post in the blind hope that it'd make you realise the complete absurdity of you calling someone "off their rocker" for having made a mistake, by which point it was clear I had. Any sane, straight-thinking person would have left it with a "Fair enough" once they'd realised a mistake was made. I wasn't to know you'd be idiotic enough to take that barely-serious post as an excuse to for yet another insignificantly-trivial tirade on such an insignificantly-trivial topic.

ReputationRep:
    "Northern"? Pfft, Highlands & Islands! xD

ReputationRep:
    They might care if you went to Manchester instead of York for Law, though. York is a top-tier law school and OP should definitely consider it.
    I would agree with you there, York is a lovely place too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashim123)
    I replied with an indifferent, facetious two-word post in the blind hope that it'd make you realise the complete absurdity of you calling someone "off their rocker" for having made a mistake, by which point it was clear I had. Any sane, straight-thinking person would have left it with a "Fair enough" once they'd realised a mistake was made. I wasn't to know you'd be idiotic enough to take that barely-serious post as an excuse to for yet another insignificantly-trivial tirade on such an insignificantly-trivial topic.
    It was not clear, for the reason I previously mentioned. Aside from remarking that your hyphenation skills are quite lacking, I have nothing more to say to you.

That's a lie. Maybe I'd tell you to calm down, stop taking life so personally, and ensure that the facts you disseminate are correct.

ReputationRep:
    It was not clear, for the reason I previously mentioned.
    Wow, you're right. Had no idea Mancs and Newcastle were so prestigious, my misconceptions about Sheffield have been shattered.
    What part of this post do you find ambiguous about the fact I admitted to making a mistake?

(Original post by callumlaw)
    Aside from remarking that your hyphenation skills are quite lacking, I have nothing more to say to you.
    :laugh: Fgs, what is it with these kids trying to one-up me with their delusions they know English better than I do? I swear to God, if this becomes a regular thing...

http://www.edufind.com/english-gramm...ns-and-dashes/

You're not the first, and at the rate you kids seem to pop up, it's looking like you won't be the last: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3678141&page=1. To quote your own advice:
    ...ensure that the facts you disseminate are correct.
    And finally, to quote myself in that thread.

Sit the **** back down.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for derailing your thread, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahmayy98)
    It gets worse than that. I know of three people who went there and ended up being shafted in one way or another. In addition to the hard marker aspect, there's the treatment of those students who want to question their end of year or assignment marks or their final classification grades and the response at that place would be, for example, for a tutor to have a quiet word in the student's ear telling them not to bother because they won't get anywhere i.e. their marks are already a done deal and won't be changed.

If the hapless student insists that the marking's unfair and ought to be looked at, they're then warned that the marks could just as easily go down as well as up if they're looked at again and you can guess what's coming next - the marks go down, not necessarily by a lot, but the student cohort gets the message loud and clear that challenging the system won't work and won't be tolerated. I think that's kind of unethical.

Their wider care of students doesn't appear to be that good either as you can see from the Reddit 'Has anyone else found university thoroughly disappointing' thread where the words 'also chewed up and spat out very similar to how I was treated' were used about the University of Manchester. Personally, I wouldn't touch that uni with a bargepole. I have heard reports from other people I know who have had better experiences at other places like Cardiff, Brighton and the Royal Agricultural College.

I think there's a wider aspect that prospective uni students ought to be told about when considering which uni to go to. That's the likelihood of getting an upper second 2:1 degree or better on the course that they are interested in and the stats can be found on various uni comparison sites like Whatuni and Which? University. Getting a 2:1 or 1st makes it much easier to get on to graduate employment schemes and to get funding for postgraduate courses and research degrees. If it were me, I'd even steer clear of unis with very exacting standards like Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and KCL because I think it's much more useful to have a 2:1 from somewhere else than end up with a 2:2 or lower from one of those five good unis.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.