ReputationRep:
    Yeah they are

- Corporate welfare £90bn
    - Unclaimed tax from companies £120bn
    - Housing benefit (landlord subsidy) £25bn
    - Mortgage interest tax relief for BTL landlords £14bn

To compare:
    - Tory benefit cuts that are "tough choices to balance the books": £12bn

It's time to get your heads out of the sand people, we've had nearly a decade of this nonsense now.

ReputationRep:
    Provided they aren't doing anything haraam everybody should be entitled to free food, clothing and shelter.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yeah they are

- Corporate welfare £90bn
    - Unclaimed tax from companies £120bn
    - Housing benefit (landlord subsidy) £25bn
    - Mortgage interest tax relief for BTL landlords £14bn

To compare:
    - Tory benefit cuts that are "tough choices to balance the books": £12bn

It's time to get your heads out of the sand people, we've had nearly a decade of this nonsense now.
    To rebut a few points:

1. In 2014 the government introduced a new system of paying taxes: the accelerated payment system. Under this system, companies and individuals which use registered tax avoidance schemes (approximately 65,000 companies/people) are required to pay the avoided tax upfront, even if the scheme is legal; it is only after they have resolved the dispute then they will receive the money back.

2. BTL landlords have been hit by Osborne's new changes to the tax regime from 2017 onward. They are no longer able to deduct mortgage interest from their profits, and therefore only the total turnover (i.e. rent - miscellaneous expenditures) is calculated as taxable profit.

3. From what I gather most of the corporation welfare (44b of it, according to a Grauniad article) was "spent on plants, machinery and equipment among other items." This seems like a fair relief intended to help businesses get on their feet. Expenditure on such items are usually capital expenditure, which cannot be deducted from profits when calculating taxes. Instead, business relief is given, allowing them to deduct certain capital expenditures from their profits. So for companies which are new or expanding and in the production industry, it would take them a very long time to make a profit and recoup the cost of their expenditure on machines, if not for the business relief, and thus few companies would have the incentive to operate/expand in the UK. It is in no way that the government is subsidising companies by giving them money through these reliefs.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Some of you have absolutely no idea:

I have a friend who up until moving to Oxford with his girlfriend, lived in a house share and was on JSA, housing benefit and some council tax benefit. Out of his JSA, he had to some council tax, (almost everyone of working age has to) food and other bills he has. Hardly living the high life, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Some of you have absolutely no idea:

I have a friend who up until moving to Oxford with his girlfriend, lived in a house share and was on JSA, housing benefit and some council tax benefit. Out of his JSA, he had to some council tax, (almost everyone of working age has to) food and other bills he has. Hardly living the high life, eh?
    Once you have kids, that's when it starts rolling in apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Once you have kids, that's when it starts rolling in apparently
    So why are we not just talking about child benefits?

Oh yeah, because the papers tell you to demonise any benefit claimant.

I am fed up of this emotion-driven claptrap. Are we capable having a grown-up discussion about benefits or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    To rebut a few points:

1. In 2014 the government introduced a new system of paying taxes: the accelerated payment system. Under this system, companies and individuals which use registered tax avoidance schemes (approximately 65,000 companies/people) are required to pay the avoided tax upfront, even if the scheme is legal; it is only after they have resolved the dispute then they will receive the money back.

2. BTL landlords have been hit by Osborne's new changes to the tax regime from 2017 onward. They are no longer able to deduct mortgage interest from their profits, and therefore only the total turnover (i.e. rent - miscellaneous expenditures) is calculated as taxable profit.

3. From what I gather most of the corporation welfare (44b of it, according to a Grauniad article) was "spent on plants, machinery and equipment among other items." This seems like a fair relief intended to help businesses get on their feet. Expenditure on such items are usually capital expenditure, which cannot be deducted from profits when calculating taxes. Instead, business relief is given, allowing them to deduct certain capital expenditures from their profits. So for companies which are new or expanding and in the production industry, it would take them a very long time to make a profit and recoup the cost of their expenditure on machines, if not for the business relief, and thus few companies would have the incentive to operate/expand in the UK. It is in no way that the government is subsidising companies by giving them money through these reliefs.
    Yes, but it rather gives the lie to the idea that we have to cut benefits because we don't have any money. There is plenty of money: to cut benefits is an ideological targeting of the poorest and most vulnerable people.

Mortgage interest tax relief has not been abolished, last I read landlords will still be able to claim but at the basic rate, not the higher. Still it's a start and I applaud Osborne's moves against the tax avoiders and rentiers who parasitise our economy.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    So why are we not just talking about child benefits?

Oh yeah, because the papers tell you to demonise any benefit claimant.

I am fed up of this emotion-driven claptrap. Are we capable having a grown-up discussion about benefits or not?
    Of course. Please exclude the leftie nonsense. As stated before benefits are just adequate for single people but still an absolute joke for couples/singles with children.

We need a drastic cut back.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it rather gives the lie to the idea that we have to cut benefits because we don't have any money. There is plenty of money: to cut benefits is an ideological targeting of the poorest and most vulnerable people.

Mortgage interest tax relief has not been abolished, last I read landlords will still be able to claim but at the basic rate, not the higher. Still it's a start and I applaud Osborne's moves against the tax avoiders and rentiers who parasitise our economy.
    Nothing wrong with the "rentiers", they have worked hard for their money and they are putting it to use. You want them to keep them in the banks and earn 0.5%? thanks to Labour who destroyed our economy due to over spending imaginary money.

No thanks. The money should always be cut from those who contribute little to our economy.

ReputationRep:

Not with a troll you wont.

Gates is a troll:shh:

He's now pushing your rentier button

"
    Nothing wrong with the "rentiers", they have worked hard for their money and they are putting it to use. You want them to keep them in the banks and earn 0.5%? thanks to Labour who destroyed our economy due to over spending imaginary money.

No thanks. The money should always be cut from those who contribute little to our economy." -Gates

That's one big troll post perfectly aimed to annoy you :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

"

No thanks. The money should always be cut from those who contribute little to our economy." -Gates

Yeah I know he's a troll but he's quite good at it which makes a change :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

"

Yeah I know he's a troll but he's quite good at it which makes a change :p:
    No need to be jealous of hard work. These are the people this country needs and the layabouts can be shipped overseas.

Vote Bill 2016.

ReputationRep:
    I want people willing to work hard, save and get on in life. Be that buying property to live in or rent out is up to them. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

We should be cutting benefits further especially for those with children who are spending it on alcohol and ****!!

ReputationRep:
    Child benefit is far too generous, others not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Child benefit is far too generous, others not so much.
    It should be re-directed to our schools. It's a joke when kids are still turning up to schools hungry, it's clear where that money is going. The school day should be extended and more services provided on site.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

We should be cutting benefits further especially for those with children who are spending it on alcohol and ****!!
    They ARE being cut. I stand to possibly lose up to £3k a year at some point. In real terms from April, I shall be losing some money too because a fair amount of my benefits will be frozen for 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't bring myself to say that people who make optional choices like having a child should get more than a student from a poor background going to university. I just think it's plain wrong that the people who work hardest are given ****, even to the point that being "smart" is a bad thing, I support Camerons cuts to child benefit.

NB. I fully support benefits for the unemployed, there will never be 0 unemployment and we need to support those who have been made redundant, but with more and more automation more people will be out of a job and I worry what we will do then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    They ARE being cut. I stand to possibly lose up to £3k a year at some point. In real terms from April, I shall be losing some money too because a fair amount of my benefits will be frozen for 4 years.
    Could you explain your situation and where the 3k is coming from considering we will be having an increase in the minimum wage?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Could you explain your situation and where the 3k is coming from considering we will be having an increase in the minimum wage?
    I am severely disabled. Because of my situation, (I live alone and no-one receives carers allowance for me) I receive an extra £61 ish a week. Under the Governments new plans, I will lose that.

I receive a basic amount (as does everyone out of work over 25) of roughly £73 a week. For the next 4 years, that will be frozen. In real terms, that is a loss.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.