Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkybinoculars)
    I'm currently doing my AS in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Tbh, I have yet to feel that 'jump' people were going on about as I don't find the content that hard right now and am understanding everything. I have done some tests also and have been getting good marks; however, I'm worried that I may not be doing enough... and it may hit me too late. All I've done so far outside of lessons is do my homework (try to do them to high standards) and honestly, haven't used my study periods effectively at all as we're allowed to do whatever then.
    Do you think I need to do more? Also, any advice? Thanks.
    Don't worry about it, some people don't find them hard, and tbh they aren't provided you keep on top of your homework! As long as you do a couple of past papers before the exam you'll do fine, it is more structure than lack of knowledge that will catch you out. For example, in economics, you could have something like a 3 page evaluation that is truly amazing, but only get something like an 8 out of 14 because you didn't analyse or state definitions. A levels are like a game, you just have to learn how to play it :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my AS in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Tbh, I have yet to feel that 'jump' people were going on about as I don't find the content that hard right now and am understanding everything. I have done some tests also and have been getting good marks; however, I'm worried that I may not be doing enough... and it may hit me too late. All I've done so far outside of lessons is do my homework (try to do them to high standards) and honestly, haven't used my study periods effectively at all as we're allowed to do whatever then.
    Thing is that although you understand everything at this point, in a few months something that made perfect sense may seem obscure.
    I did Maths, Chemistry and Physics too and got High Bs- Mid As on all tests but the only work I was doing outside of lessons was HW which is expected of you anyway. Eventually, mocks came around and I got an ABBC (Psychology, Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively) and I thought "Great, just need to work hard to change the Bs and C into an A" - I got the exact same results on my actual AS. My friend who had been working much harder all year got all A's on her mocks and then again on her AS. The thing to note here is that I wasn't working even in the Easter holidays because I 'understood everything so far'.

I said the exact same things as you and it hit me too late. I understood everything but I started making notes and doing exam papers too late because I was waiting for the 'jump'. Turns out working hard consistently though the year is the jump. Now that I'm actually working hard for A2 I think back to last year and think "WTF was I thinking!" You don't need to work THAT hard in AS, just make sure to do weekly reviews of what you've done that week (and read over previous notes/work) and practice questions from a text book and off exam papers cause they can ask you one question in very different ways and you need to be familiar with it. Just do a little bit everyday- even 20 minutes per subject a day adds up to quite a bit after a while.

Don't do what I did- understanding the content when everyone else is struggling fooled me into thinking I was on top of it and I wasn't. Also, mocks can be very good predictors of your AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nenestar98)
    Thing is that although you understand everything at this point, in a few months something that made perfect sense may seem obscure.
    I did Maths, Chemistry and Physics too and got High Bs- Mid As on all tests but the only work I was doing outside of lessons was HW which is expected of you anyway. Eventually, mocks came around and I got an ABBC (Psychology, Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively) and I thought "Great, just need to work hard to change the Bs and C into an A" - I got the exact same results on my actual AS. My friend who had been working much harder all year got all A's on her mocks and then again on her AS. The thing to note here is that I wasn't working even in the Easter holidays because I 'understood everything so far'.

I said the exact same things as you and it hit me too late. I understood everything but I started making notes and doing exam papers too late because I was waiting for the 'jump'. Turns out working hard consistently though the year is the jump. Now that I'm actually working hard for A2 I think back to last year and think "WTF was I thinking!" You don't need to work THAT hard in AS, just make sure to do weekly reviews of what you've done that week (and read over previous notes/work) and practice questions from a text book and off exam papers cause they can ask you one question in very different ways and you need to be familiar with it. Just do a little bit everyday- even 20 minutes per subject a day adds up to quite a bit after a while.

Don't do what I did- understanding the content when everyone else is struggling fooled me into thinking I was on top of it and I wasn't. Also, mocks can be very good predictors of your AS.
    Thank you so much for this!!! Very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this!!! Very helpful
    Its alright

BTW, what's your fourth subject?

ReputationRep:
    I had that mentality when I first started A levels last year doing maths, chemistry, biology, geography.
    Trust me it will get hard very very soon.
    Usually the first couple of months are to ease you in, especially the first modules of the specifications.
    good luck however!

ReputationRep:
    LOL wait till it gets to March time, and BOOM - the realisation hits you like a train.
    If you're not feeling the pressure, then you are going wrong about things.. if you get A's and B's in tests and keep on top of all notes and do sufficient work for every subject, you should be fine xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Literally lol. If you're not finding them hard, you're missing something. Wait until mocks and exam periods then try telling us they're easy. Especially as all you're doing is homework, which is exactly what I did and ended up with EEUU and retaking the year.
    It really depends on the person... all I did was the homework. I didn't have the same experience.

They're not hard; you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    It is very individual, I personally found first weeks of AS really difficult, but when I started A2 I felt like there was nothing new really. If you get the material easily, just use the study periods for social stuff, because when things get difficult you would be able to feel it and as a responsible A-level student I am sure you will make the right choice of studying more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    It really depends on the person... all I did was the homework. I didn't have the same experience.

They're not hard; you're fine.
    I have said that in another post!!

ReputationRep:
    Better safe than sorry lol Only jump experienced is in physics but tbh, just understanding isn't really a valid reason.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't felt a huge increase in the difficulty of content either, in BIO there is just lot's of it! Keeping up with H/W is a diff matter tho -_-

ReputationRep:
    There is no jump at AS if you work hard. If you don't revise from now though, you'll start to struggle pretty soon. Last year I got 5 As and it's all very easy for me to sit back now and think 'ohh yeah AS is so easy there's no jump at all' but I seriously worked for those grades. Start revising everything you do in lessons from now, look ahead on the syllabus etc, and it'll all help!!
    Also I'm doing Maths & Chem A2 and the jump definitely comes at A2 with those subjects, in my opinion anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nenestar98)
    Its alright

BTW, what's your fourth subject?
    Economics

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.