ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone2498)
    The title says that, but he goes on to say

whereas i`m doing it to gain strength

I think he's a bit confused about what he wants tbh loool
    Hah yeh probs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's a less effective version of the typical type of novice programme found in Mark Rippetoe's literature, but I think you can still be successful on it if you eat enough to back up the training, as it's not too different - and certainly, as you have said, better than doing what it is that OP is currently doing.
    I agree. I think it just irks me that some kid got so rich by blatantly copying a program and then saying "let's add a couple of extra sets to make it less effective."
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I agree. I think it just irks me that some kid got so rich by blatantly copying a program and then saying "let's add a couple of extra sets to make it less effective."
    How rich did he get?

ReputationRep:
    hi the 5*5 and after a couple months you will be significantly stronger. Then you have the foundations to start working on more high intensity work outs. For these keep the volume high (5*8-10), time under tension high especially with cables and keep the rest between sets minimal 30 secs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    How rich did he get?
    Obviously I don't know the details and I can't even source my rumours, but I'm sure I read somewhere that he was doing incredibly well considering he did virutally nothing but pay for a domain name. It seems pretty clear that he is wealthy enough to pay people to train with him since I find it hard to believe Coan is getting much else out of that arrangement.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Obviously I don't know the details and I can't even source my rumours, but I'm sure I read somewhere that he was doing incredibly well considering he did virutally nothing but pay for a domain name. It seems pretty clear that he is wealthy enough to pay people to train with him since I find it hard to believe Coan is getting much else out of that arrangement.
    To be honest I find it hard to grudge people who get rich off the back of silly people. ICF seems to be displacing SL on the interwebs now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    To be honest I find it hard to grudge people who get rich off the back of silly people. ICF seems to be displacing SL on the interwebs now anyway.
    Yeah I always try to avoid jealousy and stuff like that, but y'know... ICF is even more annoying. One of his videos came up on my recommended page and I read some of the comments (don't ask why). I guess I'll miss Mehdi when he's gone, lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah I always try to avoid jealousy and stuff like that, but y'know... ICF is even more annoying. One of his videos came up on my recommended page and I read some of the comments (don't ask why). I guess I'll miss Mehdi when he's gone, lol
    Someone who really irritates me is that Candito guy. As best as I am aware, he got "famous" by posting a video on Youtube educating us on why Mark Rippetoe is wrong about hip drive, only to have entirely fabricated the way Mark Rippetoe teaches hip drive and for his version of hip drive to be almost identical (maybe it was identical) to the way Rip teaches it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Someone who really irritates me is that Candito guy. As best as I am aware, he got "famous" by posting a video on Youtube educating us on why Mark Rippetoe is wrong about hip drive, only to have entirely fabricated the way Mark Rippetoe teaches hip drive and for his version of hip drive to be almost identical (maybe it was identical) to the way Rip teaches it.
    Haha, yeah, that's a pretty annoying video. Always silly to see someone take something blatantly out of context, make a stupid clickbait title and then be like "aw shucks, seems like the majority of my youtube views are from the time I tried to piggyback someone else's reputation, imagine that."

With that said, he's at least a legit lifter who seems to have matured a bit since making that video. I mean it's easy to judge, but if you look at the date on that video I'm sure you could find stuff from my post histories that would make me cringe now. At least he only has one video talking complete crap about someone, whereas ICF has built his entire reputation off it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Youve been told what to do so many times its funny

Also I thought you were running half marathons now? And gaining weight whilst using a calorie counter to lose it?

Etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    FWIW I've never really heard of anyone being successful on Stronglifts, but obviously it's better than doing Arnold presses, shrugs, 2 kinds of curls and goblet squats so like whatever
    FFS I meant Starting Strength StrongLifts, lol... been a long day... Hasufel look up Starting Strength, Stronglifts is cack. Almost as bad as ICF 5x5, yeah come on everyone lets do 30 ****ing sets on a low rep strength workout, why the **** not :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    FWIW I've never really heard of anyone being successful on Stronglifts, but obviously it's better than doing Arnold presses, shrugs, 2 kinds of curls and goblet squats so like whatever
    My attitude with Stronglifts is that it's great for getting people used to going to the gym on a regular routine. If you're completely new to lifting it is a great way to make you work out 3 times a week, get into that habit, and if you're starting from very low strength it'll get you to a reasonable level quite comfortably, before you move onto a more advanced routine.

However as for nobody being successful on it, that depends on what you mean by success! Nobody is going to look ripped purely by doing SL, because the rep range it gets you working at isn't ever going to build massive amounts of muscle, even if it's increasing your strength, but I do know a couple of guys who started from virtually nothing and got up to squatting just shy of double their bodyweight before switching away from SL. I will say that neither of them looked particularly strong though even after all of that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.