Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you regret not doing last year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Working hard enough to get the UMS/Grades needed to get an offer from Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    I regret not choosing the subject that i like most, which is English lit. English is my second language but i have always always liked this subject. I didnt do it because i thought i wouldnt have the ability to compete with the English people. However,now i have realized its more about exam techniques instead of the language itself. It has also become the biggest regret of my life so far. I am serious.

ReputationRep:
    Doing AS maths,not finding out enough about university,not starting my personal statement earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking I could just sit my exams and pass like I did in GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Not allowing myself to admit defeat and change AS course - Sociology would have been much more useful to me now than my D in Chemistry! In terms of UCAS though, putting it off and not thinking about it soon enough really, my UCAS has gone but it was a lot of stress and hassle that could've been saved with more thorough research at this time of year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1998)
    Sorry you don't mind me asking what do you mean by what the unis wanted and looking at different course structures, hoping i dont make a mistake, thanks
    Specifically I was applying to medicine, so this may not affect you in the same way - med schools tend to deliver the same content but in different ways (lecture based vs PBL for example, the latter being more groupwork based). I got more hung up on my preference when it came to this than where I was realistically likely to get in (and also didn't do my research - had never even heard of PBL until a couple months before I was applying which didn't help).
    In terms of what the unis wanted, I think most unis have different weightings on things they consider when it comes to making decisions (like GCSE grades, AS grades, PS etc). It's not so much that I didn't pay attention to this, more that I sort of had a grossly inflated perception of how good my stats actually were (I had a 645 UKCAT which for 2015 entry was pretty crap, but because the piece of paper with my results on said that most people taking the test would score around 600 I thought that I did great because I scored above that ). As a result I was going around like 'oh they base 50% of their decision on the UKCAT, I'll be fine!' like a total idiot.

Hopefully this is helpful for you (and not just a garbled wall of text that makes no sense ). I think the main advice I'd give is to go onto the website of any unis you like the look of and look up exactly how they use your stats when making a decision (and if it doesn't say, contact them to ask - most are only too happy to help), and go for ones that play to your strengths. On the other hand I don't want to stress you out unnecessarily - most courses that aren't so crazily competitive don't mind so long as you get the grades they ask for. You should be just fine

ReputationRep:
    I would have just picked the course I knew I wanted to do from the start rather than letting other people tell me what to do then change my course choice on like a weekly basis. It basically meant that I had a ridiculous amount of random ECA's and work experience that wasn't relevant when I picked what I wanted to do.

I'm not saying to be tied down to a specific university course but think through what you want to study and where you want to be then research the course and university so you can make sure you have all the grades and work experience or whatever you need. Also, if you have any entrance exams, start studying after AS exams and not a week before the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I regret not taking a 5th A Level
    You could make up for it by doing 6 this year...? :sly:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    You could make up for it by doing 6 this year...? :sly:
    On top of American applications :eek::eek::eek: That'd be a death sentence lol. You have to write the equivalent of a personal statement for each Uni and it's just so boring too! D:

I did consider taking AS Chem but flippin American apps man :/

ReputationRep:
    On top of American applications :eek::eek::eek: That'd be a death sentence lol. You have to write the equivalent of a personal statement for each Uni and it's just so boring too! D:

I did consider taking AS Chem but flippin American apps man :/
    Ooo Harvard? :bigsmile:

[I know nothing about American applications.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Ooo Harvard? :bigsmile:

[I know nothing about American applications.]
    Nah my top 3 are MIT, Caltech and Stanford (took Harvard off the list when I realised it wasn't gr8 for engineering). Haha I say that as if I'll get in to any of them :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd applied to Cambridge. I love the Uni I'm at now and wouldn't change it but I want to know if I would have gotten in, now I'll never know

ReputationRep:
    nothing tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lissaandteddy)
    Similar situation to you. In my 1st year of nursing and have no passion or motivation for it whatsoever, it's even more stressful because I'm going to start hospital placement next week and I have an overwhelming urge to cry all the time.
    Go and see your Personal Tutor. This is exactly the sort of scenario they are there to help with. Its a very common feeling - demotivated, depressed and starting to disengage. They will know how to help. Go and see him/her today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelyAvocado)
    I regret taking an academic route that would make my parents happy and less anxious(in terms of finance support and chances of employment) instead of following what I really wanted for myself.
    Now I'm in my first year of uni studying Bio-Computing and cursing myself for not choosing Medicine instead.
    Surely medicine is one of the most academic routes you can take? And has the best chances of employment? Your parents wanted you to do bio-computing over medicine?

ReputationRep:
    In my first year of uni, but AS/A2 Biology was my greatest regret. LOVED it at GCSE and loved reading around it, but it was only when I took law and economics that I realised I loved those sorts of subjects more. Ended up neglecting Bio, leading to a bad grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Surely medicine is one of the most academic routes you can take? And has the best chances of employment? Your parents wanted you to do bio-computing over medicine?
    Sounds ridiculous right? Well there is some kind of logic behind it...
    The course of Bio-Computing is going to take 4 years of my life at most, with a master degree already included in that period, while medicine will take a lot more work, time and money to be achieved successfully.

Also, in the sector of technology, if you grasp some things quickly and you're basically spending time on your skills (programming and research) in order to polish them as much as you can, you're mostly good to go. The salaries aren't bad AT ALL and you can find a job pretty quickly. You can work from home, you can work at a cubicle. The choices are endless. But after all, it wasn't and still isn't the type of job that will make me get up from my bed, excited for what the day has for me.

What I need is human interaction, to help people face to face, not solely behind a machine. The human body is also an amazing miracle I would sell my soul to learn about, acquire the knowledge and skills on how to treat it, help it, improve it.

I'm already thinking of withdrawing from my course and spending my next years preparing for medical school in the UK. My parents admit the mistake we all made, and it may be very difficult to start all over, but I believe that it's better to have an existential crisis while being 18 and doing something about it, than being 40 and living a life full of regret.

Many people do that, ignoring the fact that they chose something that quite possibly won't satisfy them as a job in the future. Depends on the person of course. I could never live like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that you should aim high, revise hard and make sure that you get loads of wider reading done for your course to both stimulate and consolidate your passion

ReputationRep:
    I regret not taking a 5th A Level
    what A-levels do you take? and what would the fifth one have been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AN1ASAR)
    what A-levels do you take? and what would the fifth one have been?
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German.

5th - Chemistry

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.