Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    gonna get straight to it- I'm 17 and I want to be a doctor. Medicine is the ultimate goal and i would give an arm and a leg to get a place in medical school

I got 2Bs and 2Cs in my AS levels
    Now i'm trying to work my arse off to get all As at A2

but here's the problem: I am literally so scared I'm going to screw up that it makes me feel sick. I've been extra grumpy, and just so ****ing scared. I've been feeling physically nauseous and crying solely because I think I'm just not going to be able to do it. Then I start going into the whole thing where I think I'm never gonna be a doctor. I should've tried harder. I'm such a failure. I'm so stupid. Why can't I do anything right?

I know it seems counter-productive... and it is. I can't revise and study because I feel like I just know I can't do it so what's the point in even trying when there's people who got straight A*s through their GCSEs and A-levels and have been rejected. Why do I think I'd even stand a chance if THEY'RE being rejected.

So that's my mindset at the moment, which definitely won't help me get the grades. Can anyone help me snap out of it? Any tips? Any success stories? Any 'it's not the end of the world, you can still be a doctor' stories?

Please I just need reassurance that it's all gonna be okay...
    My advice is try not to worry too much (I know that is hard), but keep working hard and put all your effort in. I'm not ashamed to say that during a levels I didn't have much of a social life, yeah I still went out on weekends and saw my girlfriend but I would work hard during my frees and every college night and it paid off. So buckle down for the next year, there's plenty of time to go out and that in the summer. Also think about how you can sell yourself beside just grades, as far as I know, medical school really value work experience, extra curricular and reading around the subject as they will assess that at interview so try to shine there - but not at the detriment of your grades obviously.

The other thing is, worst comes to worst, and if medical school doesn't happen, there are many other professions to enter. You've already mentioned pharmacy, but maybe consider and reflect on why exactly you want to do medicine. You may love the science behind it and everything but remember as a Dr you will be working with people constantly and primarily it's all about helping your patients. There are many other professions where they do exactly that, nursing, occupational therapy, social work, clinical psychology, and if you love the science, being involved in medical research.

The reason I mention this is because, like you I wanted to be Dr for pretty much most my life and I set myself up for it so much, but unfortunately for me, the thing that held me back was that I have a phobia of vomit, which obviously, doesn't go well with being a Dr! Because I had told myself I must be a Dr I never considered any other alternative career in health or social care, even though I really wanted to work with people. So I followed the opinion of my teachers and I went to study Maths and Computer Science at uni. This was a massive mistake and I dropped out halfway through my first year as I hated it. I took some time out and volunteered with people with mental health problems and I was hooked, and I remembered why I wanted to work with people. Now I'm studying social work, which I can definitely say is the subject for me, and I'm loving my current placement in a mental health team. So yeah, nothing to do with the science of medicine, but I'm working with people and hopefully changing lives, so doing what I wanted to do originally.

Not saying all that to change your mind or make you feel like there's no hope, just hopefully opening your eyes to a whole new world of opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by bullettheory)
    My advice is try not to worry too much (I know that is hard), but keep working hard and put all your effort in. I'm not ashamed to say that during a levels I didn't have much of a social life, yeah I still went out on weekends and saw my girlfriend but I would work hard during my frees and every college night and it paid off. So buckle down for the next year, there's plenty of time to go out and that in the summer. Also think about how you can sell yourself beside just grades, as far as I know, medical school really value work experience, extra curricular and reading around the subject as they will assess that at interview so try to shine there - but not at the detriment of your grades obviously.

The other thing is, worst comes to worst, and if medical school doesn't happen, there are many other professions to enter. You've already mentioned pharmacy, but maybe consider and reflect on why exactly you want to do medicine. You may love the science behind it and everything but remember as a Dr you will be working with people constantly and primarily it's all about helping your patients. There are many other professions where they do exactly that, nursing, occupational therapy, social work, clinical psychology, and if you love the science, being involved in medical research.

The reason I mention this is because, like you I wanted to be Dr for pretty much most my life and I set myself up for it so much, but unfortunately for me, the thing that held me back was that I have a phobia of vomit, which obviously, doesn't go well with being a Dr! Because I had told myself I must be a Dr I never considered any other alternative career in health or social care, even though I really wanted to work with people. So I followed the opinion of my teachers and I went to study Maths and Computer Science at uni. This was a massive mistake and I dropped out halfway through my first year as I hated it. I took some time out and volunteered with people with mental health problems and I was hooked, and I remembered why I wanted to work with people. Now I'm studying social work, which I can definitely say is the subject for me, and I'm loving my current placement in a mental health team. So yeah, nothing to do with the science of medicine, but I'm working with people and hopefully changing lives, so doing what I wanted to do originally.

Not saying all that to change your mind or make you feel like there's no hope, just hopefully opening your eyes to a whole new world of opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah I'm gonna work super hard this year and do all the extra curricular stuff next year in my gap year! who knows maybe when i get a health related placement i'll like it enough and just do that for the rest of my life... idk many things could happen! I really do hope i get the grades though because even if i decided that i wouldn't go for medicine (which will never happen but IF) i'd still have the grades needed to apply to other courses!

I'll try to research other things I'm into related to medicine. The reason i wanted to do medicine was because I wanted to help change people's lives (in the health sector at least) by using all the knowledge I gain in med school. I want to know how the body functions and if something goes wrong, how to fix it and how it IS fixed.

That's why i was thinking pharmacy as the back up because you study the interactions between drugs and the human body, and you put your skills to the test and help people! However with a pharmacist it's kinda limited what you can do, you have to do some course if you wanna prescribe and most just end up working behind a till. If i was a pharmacist I'd be a hospital pharmacist! I'd be more involved with patients that way, and closely working with a team of health professionals and it would be awesome too! But pharmacy is still AAA-ABB - so still high entry requirements!

I'm happy you found your path so hopefully i'll find mine! I'm gonna work my socks off so that if i don't get into med school it won't be my fault it would just be bad luck or whatever... and i won't have to feel like **** for the rest of my life. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me and giving me this advice! I will take it and I'll look more into other careers in case it doesn't work out but I hope it does! Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

Let mw tell you about me, I was first diagnosed with depression with self-harm aged 14 (I'm 21 now and in 3rd year of medial school). I applied for medicine in year 13 (2012 entry) and got 4 straight rejections so decided to take a gap year. I got ABB in my A levels. During my gap year I was diagnosed with Anorexia and ended up in a bit of a relapse-recovery cycle but I was determined to get into medical school. I retook some of my modules and ended up getting AAA. I managed to get into medical school through clearing.

Since being at medical school, these last 2 and a bit years, I have continued to struggle with my eating disorder as well as anxiety, depression and self harm. But it is medical that keeps me going. It's been medical school that has helped me to continue to fight. And the medical school has been incredibly supportive and as has occupational health.

if you really want it, you can do it! Also, there is more than one way of becoming a doctor! Never be afraid of getting extra help, I had tonnes of it! And talk the the medical school, tell them abut your circumstances, they may be able to do something! Good luck!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.