The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LF-Uni
If you love Biology the future is very bright. Bioinformatics is exploding at the moment.

I hope the same rules apply that were active when you first started studying.

U316 seems very interesting. I worked in the chemical industry and all I can say is that there sure is room for improvement. :smile:

I'm going to apply to the course BSc Mathematics in Feb. It's the closest to what I wanted out of an open degree.

Thanks. good luck with your chosen subject. I am not sure about the open degree at all as it left me not knowing which direction to take and I now regret going in for it.
I was doing either Technology or Social Science, but an advisor persuaded me to opt for an open degree which I wish I had not agreed to.

U316 the environmental web does look extremely interesting, unfortunately, some students on facebook say it had an awful lot of administrative and other problems in the course, and some sound as though they hated it! apparently, there is rigid criteria for the project, so I think I am now going to take M140 statistics as there isn't much choice in the new year and take T313 renewable energy next autumn along with another 30 point environmental course.

I am now nearly 90% decided not to take U316, it did look so interesting though.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Original post by sootydog1
Thanks. good luck with your chosen subject. I am not sure about the open degree at all as it left me not knowing which direction to take and I now regret going in for it.
I was doing either Technology or Social Science, but an advisor persuaded me to opt for an open degree which I wish I had not agreed to.

U316 the environmental web does look extremely interesting, unfortunately, some students on facebook say it had an awful lot of administrative and other problems in the course, and some sound as though they hated it! apparently, there is rigid criteria for the project, so I think I am now going to take M140 statistics as there isn't much choice in the new year and take T313 renewable energy next autumn along with another 30 point environmental course.

I am now nearly 90% decided not to take U316, it did look so interesting though.

Sooty, I would read the "Classification of your degree" at the bottom of this page:

www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd

It seems the classification is one of the things you need to keep an eye on but other than that you could check out the module list under courses to maybe plan ahead. What modules you would be interested in and when they start. Also makes it easier when you speak to OU staff to see what they think. This way you have a better chance at getting what you want out of the degree.
Original post by LF-Uni
Sooty, I would read the "Classification of your degree" at the bottom of this page:

www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd

It seems the classification is one of the things you need to keep an eye on but other than that you could check out the module list under courses to maybe plan ahead. What modules you would be interested in and when they start. Also makes it easier when you speak to OU staff to see what they think. This way you have a better chance at getting what you want out of the degree.

Thank you for this info. I have now decided not to take U316, as I am on the face book page where this year's students say it had a lot of problems, including that the final project is produced in a 'Wiki' with OU Wiki software which did not work properly - students had blank pages in their end work as there was no way to delete them!

I am going to re look at my plans.

Good luck with your chosen modules.
Reply 23
Why do the next module on level 1 as I have done level 1 already and expect to do the level 2, I am disappointed about the OU-way like this.

I believe that you can do this, as the OU state for this qualification that they 'recommend you start at Level 1'.

Also, you don't have to start off at Level 1 anyway, you can start at Level 2.
https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/study/undergraduate/qualification/bd.htm#courses
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you for this info. I have now decided not to take U316, as I am on the face book page where this year's students say it had a lot of problems, including that the final project is produced in a 'Wiki' with OU Wiki software which did not work properly - students had blank pages in their end work as there was no way to delete them!

I am going to re look at my plans.

Good luck with your chosen modules.

Hi, what facebook group are you referring to?
Reply 25
Hi I have a doubt. I was awarded 210 credits for my Ba/Bsc (hons) Open.I took 30 credits level 2 to complete. The student app allows me to take level 3 as well. I took 60 credits level 3 to finish as soon as pssible.When I paid the Facebook open uni staff told me you have been charged level 2 you must complete first. Level 3 next year. I said whaaaatttttt.Did you have the same problem? The app allowed me to get 90 credits 30 to finish level 2 and the rest. And in the end surprise. A year list just with 30 credits. This must be a mistake we are allowed to study 120 credits a year.
Reply 26
Original post by Baserri
Hi I have a doubt. I was awarded 210 credits for my Ba/Bsc (hons) Open.I took 30 credits level 2 to complete. The student app allows me to take level 3 as well. I took 60 credits level 3 to finish as soon as pssible.When I paid the Facebook open uni staff told me you have been charged level 2 you must complete first. Level 3 next year. I said whaaaatttttt.Did you have the same problem? The app allowed me to get 90 credits 30 to finish level 2 and the rest. And in the end surprise. A year list just with 30 credits. This must be a mistake we are allowed to study 120 credits a year. Somebody could help me?
Reply 27
[QUOTE="Baserri;73684244"]
Original post by Baserri
Hi I have a doubt. I was awarded 210 credits for my Ba/Bsc (hons) Open.I took 30 credits level 2 to complete. The student app allows me to take level 3 as well. I took 60 credits level 3 to finish as soon as pssible.When I paid the Facebook open uni staff told me you have been charged level 2 you must complete first. Level 3 next year. I said whaaaatttttt.Did you have the same problem? The app allowed me to get 90 credits 30 to finish level 2 and the rest. And in the end surprise. A year list just with 30 credits. This must be a mistake we are allowed to study 120 credits a year. Somebody could help me?

Your post makes no sense
Original post by Baserri
Hi I have a doubt. I was awarded 210 credits for my Ba/Bsc (hons) Open.I took 30 credits level 2 to complete. The student app allows me to take level 3 as well. I took 60 credits level 3 to finish as soon as pssible.When I paid the Facebook open uni staff told me you have been charged level 2 you must complete first. Level 3 next year. I said whaaaatttttt.Did you have the same problem? The app allowed me to get 90 credits 30 to finish level 2 and the rest. And in the end surprise. A year list just with 30 credits. This must be a mistake we are allowed to study 120 credits a year.

So you had a whole (360 credits) Bachelors degree, and OU only transferred 210 credits of that?

If so, what was their reasoning?
Original post by LF-Uni
Hi,

Looking at doing a BA/BSc (Honours) Open degree. Wondering if it's possible to do level 2 modules instead of level 1 modules from the very start as long as I have the required amount of points at the end of the year or degree? The level 1 modules are a bit too basic in the subjects I want to study. I have no "credit transfer" option per say.

Thanks for any help.

This is not directly related to your degree, but it is relevant and demonstrates that some of the advice you are getting maybe wrong.

On the mathematics degree there’s an option of an “Intensive start” where you skip the most basic level 1 maths module and replace it with one of about 20 other level 1 modules, which often have nothing to do with maths. These include French, German, Spanish, Bookkeeping etc.

On the WhatsApp group for the MST124 math module there’s one of the lecturers. He said that if one is persistent, the OU will let one do a level 2 maths module in place of the level 1 module.

So it’s not totally impossible to do a bit of level 2 work in place of level 1.

Latest