Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    since winning the election they have barely cut anything they need to sort this economy out fast so I hope they actually cut for once.
    Agreed. Cuts are needed to sort out the deficit/debt. The public agree with this as well-just look at the election. The Tories openly admitted that they would make billions of savings in welfare cuts, whilst also keeping Trident. They won a majority, the left fell apart and imploded (and that was before they put in Corbyn, the Tory Trojan Horse) and life goes on.

The mass public want cuts, but just not in the NHS and national defence. I mean on here people will say whatever they like, in the real world this is the case. What I am saying is that not only do I agree with you but the public does-they want more cuts, national security (in particular via Trident) and an EU referendum. That is the difference between the real world and the lefties here, where people oppose cuts, want to scrap Trident, and love the EU.

(I personally am of the opinion that many on here don't/won't pay tax any time soon so want the opposite of those who do pay tax/will pay tax soon. That explains to extraordinary situation where the views on here are opposite to that of the general public and the majority in the House of Commons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)

You and that other guy can go on all you want; the general public agrees with me for a reason. You haven't convinced them. And I would take a guess that the taxpayers know what to do with their money better than the claimants. I mean the pair of you-lying about having a Fortune 500 job when in fact you have none, you oblivious to the fact that England has rejected the policy for a reason.

The claimants and the hard left can bleat all they want-the nuclear weapons are staying, the public wants it to(apart from the hard left so yes claimants), and there is evidently a need as discussed by those responsible for the national defence of the UK. And they have more sophisticated reasons than "we need 7,000 to be competitive, I mean you need 7,000 to destroy a country don't you, 5 succesful hits wouldn't do the job perfectly".

There is a reason only the hard left back this insane policy
    Hmmm. And still you put me in the "hard left camp". You couldn't be further from reality. Am not hard left winger. I just oppose the renewal of Trident just like roughly 25% of Brits or 50% of Scots (polls depending). And I oppose it for two main reasons:
    1. I don't believe we need it, like the majority of countries in the world
    2. I believe the money saved could be put towards more constructive projects.

Two perfectly reasonable arguments. Yet you feel the need to berate and belittle me. And for the record, I have never stated I work for a fortune 500 company. But what has that got to do with anything anyway?

If you are going to debate, debate the issues. Tell me why it is unreasonable to join the majority of the world in not keeping weapons. Tell me why the money is better spend on keeping something that will never be used as opposed to building hospitals and schools.

All you seem to doing is name calling like a petulant school child. Calling me a hard left winger benefits sympathiser does not win you the debate. It is just pathetic desperation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Hmmm. And still you put me in the "hard left camp". You couldn't be further from reality. Am not hard left winger. I just oppose the renewal of Trident just like roughly 25% of Brits or 50% of Scots (polls depending). And I oppose it for two main reasons:
    1. I don't believe we need it, like the majority of countries in the world
    2. I believe the money saved could be put towards more constructive projects.

Two perfectly reasonable arguments. Yet you feel the need to berate and belittle me. And for the record, I have never stated I work for a fortune 500 company. But what has that got to do with anything anyway?
    I'm talking about your friend who claims he works for a fortune 500 company who also let him spend all day on TSR

If you are going to debate, debate the issues. Tell me why it is unreasonable to join the majority of the world in not keeping weapons. Tell me why the money is better spend on keeping something that will never be used as opposed to building hospitals and schools.
    You have been told. You just believe that you are right when in reality the general public disagree for good reason. Both sides can put forward their views, and the winner is the one who convinces other people.This thread is about tax credits; if you want a long discussion about nuclear weapons find another thread.

All you seem to doing is name calling like a petulant school child. Calling me a hard left winger benefits sympathiser does not win you the debate. It is just pathetic desperation.
    It is true though-the defence policy of the hard left parties are those that want to scrap Trident. That is true.
    What is also true is that these parties are the ones happy to spend huge amounts on welfare which is no good for anyone.

This thread is about tax credits. My point is a simple one-we need trident, the public agrees, so cuts will come elsewhere. Yourself and the Fortune 500 liar seem to believe that there is no need for Trident and that anyone who thinks so clearly is deluded, seen by your matter of fact statement that goes against English public opinion.
    Well the mass population who actually pay for the whole country as well as the actual weapons want them, as do I, and that is good enough for us. We would much prefer to cut benefits than Trident. With the Tories voted in specifically to do this I see this happening. What will they cut instead? Trident will be last to go.

ReputationRep:

This thread is about tax credits. My point is a simple one-we need trident, the public agrees, so cuts will come elsewhere. Yourself and the Fortune 500 liar seem to believe that there is no need for Trident and that anyone who thinks so clearly is deluded, seen by your matter of fact statement that goes against English public opinion.
    Again, you are putting words in my mouth. You seem to be saying that because some people agree with you, you are right. What sort of argument is that?

I did a quick search for some polling on Trident. An article for the BBC states "For the most part, the majority of polls suggest that there is a smallish plurality opposed to the renewal of Trident."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-30897643

A poll in the Engineer suggests only 36% of people agree with your point that we need Trident. Hardly a majority.
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/last-we...020977.article

I concede that wording can affect a poll and that polling is not necessarily a reflection of general sentiment.

You are correct that this thread is about tax credits. I would rather people got their tax credits than fund a nuclear programme which I believe will put this country in harms way. That is my opinion and I am going to stick to it.

I have given you multiple opportunities to argue against this opinion, but the best you appear to come up with is that you are right because other people agree with you and that I am a leftie. A successful life in politics you will not have.

Good day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Again, you are putting words in my mouth. You seem to be saying that because some people agree with you, you are right. What sort of argument is that?

When the entire country is telling you something it should tell you something. I mean if you see smoke and millions of people running in one direction, with only a few sitting there, it should tell you something.

In this case it tells you that for all of your false confidence that there is no need for nuclear weapons the public largely disagree.

I did a quick search for some polling on Trident. An article for the BBC states "For the most part, the majority of polls suggest that there is a smallish plurality opposed to the renewal of Trident."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-30897643

A poll in the Engineer suggests only 36% of people agree with your point that we need Trident. Hardly a majority.
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/last-we...020977.article

I concede that wording can affect a poll and that polling is not necessarily a reflection of general sentiment.

And what did polls say about the election? The BBC have history in screwing up polls. The public voted Tory to do what I stated above. Labour also felt compelled to reassure the public about Trident. There is a reason for this.

You are correct that this thread is about tax credits. I would rather people got their tax credits than fund a nuclear programme which I believe will put this country in harms way. That is my opinion and I am going to stick to it.

Stick to it. The public and taxpayers disagree. We can see your agenda; get taxpayers to pay benefits to other people (tax credits) rather than use it to defend themselves. Well newsflash-the general public don't work and pay tax so that it can go towards people who don't work as hard as they should or have kids with the first person who comes along.

Proof if we ever needed it how out of touch you really are; you really think the public wants to weaken their national defence so they can pay for others to be on benefits?
    I was right earlier on when I said there is a big difference between those who expect to pay no tax (many on TSR) and those who expect to pay tax (many in the real world).

I have given you multiple opportunities to argue against this opinion, but the best you appear to come up with is that you are right because other people agree with you and that I am a leftie. A successful life in politics you will not have.

Good day!
    You have been told that there are threats that the UK faces such as Russia. You have been told that other states could potentially be a problem in the future. You have been told this multiple times. A successful career in any way you lot will not have considering the best you lot can do is lie about working.
    Looking forward to the next election!
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...scrap_Trident/

Oh look, the majority want Trident. Anyone can find polls to suit them-that is well known. The proof is in the pudding and that is a Tory majority. Now please, try and convince me and the public that reducing national defence but raising benefits is a good idea

ReputationRep:
    You can have all the big debates you like, it doesn't make it any more complex than the below.
    The choice comes down to;
    Cutting Trident and lowering out national defence OR
    Cutting benefits.

Hmmm, tough choice, I wonder which ones the public will take. I personally like the welfare state, it is so lenient than even my dog gets it-see below;

http://www.humorinlife.com/wp-conten...1/Lazy-Dof.jpg

ReputationRep:
    It shows how little common sense you have when you mention Russia attacking the UK; even when the principle of NATO has been explained to you it is still evidently too complex for you to understand.

And the number of nuclear weapons is not important; that you think it is just shows how incredible you are. Do you really think that what matters in a nuclear war is how many nukes you have? That is precisely why they exist-if you have one that hits that will be enough. It is very different from a conventional arms race; in a conventional arms race more is better, with nukes not so.
    I can't believe I'm having to explain this to someone, I mean even little children learn this in school.
    Nuclear weapons exist for the exact reason that you don't need many of them to act as a deterrent and you can hold your own via MAD against much larger powers.

I'm discussing this with a person who believes warfare involves dumping thousands of nuclear weapons on someone.
    Hilarious. Why is it the non-taxpayers always feel they have a say in what happens to tax payers money? The real reason you don't want Trident is so that the money can go to your benefits.

'Yes. You were proven to be a rather angry and bitter person in this thread;
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post60319145
    You were then proven to be a) lying about having a job (why is it the unemployed always feel they know what to do best with other taxpayers money?) b) having a party when in reality you were sitting at home by yourself spending hours trawling through my posts and literally crying when I didn't respond. The liar is the person who lies about having a job, lies about having parties, lies about everything but is to silly to realise that said lies were clearly obvious'

Sorry, how exactly did you conclude that I lied about having a job? Because you supposedly seen me post on here during working hours? An act which you yourself have just committed multiple times today despite apparently having a job? Oh the contradiction

It's also very, very sad that you regard having two friends over at your house on a sunday night as a 'party'. Is your social life really that non-existent?

'Irrelevant. If Britain gets dragged in to a conflict it will need the nukes. That is the point..'

Nonsense. Britain may very well be dragged into a conflict but you still haven't demonstrated why Britain specifically would need the nukes. Would France or the USA and their obligation to protect any threats towards the UK not be enough of a deterrent?

I want you to answer of question for me.

What military activities has the UK nuclear deterrent deterred since Trident was commissioned in the 80's?

'Isn't it? In the future it may well be and it is certainly a threat now.'

Please, explain to us all how North Korea and it's huge missile ranges could possibly be a threat to the Uk...

Would love to see your tin foil hat nonsense explain that :lol:

'Shows how interested in foreign affairs you are that you discount the problem with Iran'

The Iranians don't care about UK nukes. They care only about Israeli nukes and US nukes. You trident defenders really do have a grandiose sense of self-worth. Perhaps you're all psychopaths

As for the number of nuclear weapons not mattering :rofl: Why did the likes of Russia and America decide to arm themselves with so many then? For the banter?

No, it's about redundancy. They have that many, at varying locations because this assures redundancy and pretty much guarantees that a first strike against them will not destroy their capability to respond in kind. Indeed the concept of M.A.D (Mutually assured destruction) is not new.

ReputationRep:
    You can have all the big debates you like, it doesn't make it any more complex than the below.
    The choice comes down to;
    Cutting Trident and lowering out national defence OR
    Cutting benefits.

Hmmm, tough choice, I wonder which ones the public will take. I personally like the welfare state, it is so lenient than even my dog gets it-see below;

http://www.humorinlife.com/wp-conten...1/Lazy-Dof.jpg
    Actually Trident takes money away from other defence strategies such as those that combat terrorist attacks. You know, the attacks that aren't hypothetical and do harm the british public?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Sorry, how exactly did you conclude that I lied about having a job? Because you supposedly seen me post on here during working hours? An act which you yourself have just committed multiple times today despite apparently having a job? Oh the contradiction
    I have time off for accounting exams. You know, stuff educated people do. You claimed to be working for the Fortune 500 (why am American company?) but also spend your entire day on TSR. That is obvious bull; I only post at a) lunch hours and b) when I am off work. You post all day throughout the day. Your explanation was hilarious-that "working in IT means you can get away with it". Yeah, sure, working for a Fortune 500 company they allow you to slack off. Not.
    You also laughed at me for doing accounting qualifications; your attitude to work is clearly not that of well off professional. I mean doing education after you leave uni according to you is something to be ashamed of.
    So yeah, you are an epic liar. Oh, working in IT means I can post on TSR all day. That was your own reason. Hilarious.

It's also very, very sad that you regard having two friends over at your house on a sunday night as a 'party'. Is your social life really that non-existent?

You said in your own words you were having a party. They were your own words. That turned out to be a massive lie as well lol.
    Oh, and you spent the entire duration of that party spending hours trawling through every post I ever made and then getting mad when I didn't reply to you
    How is your imaginary job sweetie? Are your bosses still ok with your "I work in IT so get away with slacking" routine? Aw bless. Tell you what, when you actually get your big boy pants on and stop playing the "I have a job game" and really do it, then I will take your advice on what to do with taxpayers money. Feel free to PM me when you have. Until then you are on my ignore list, saved for those special little people God has sent us.

ReputationRep:
    How is your imaginary job sweetie? Are your bosses still ok with your "I work in IT so get away with slacking" routine? Aw bless. Tell you what, when you actually get your big boy pants on and stop playing the "I have a job game" and really do it, then I will take your advice on what to do with taxpayers money. Feel free to PM me when you have. Until then you are on my ignore list, saved for those special little people God has sent us.
    So, so saaaalty hahaha. Your excuses are moronic. Accusing me of posting on TSR all day everyday when you have a higher post count and more posts per day than I do :lol: Educated people would take accounting courses while at University. I don't need to take any more exams my career progression is going along nicely without having to

Nope I never once mentioned a party! Caught out lying again! Go on, I dare you to find the quote where I mention a party, I'll wait patiently Meanwhile laughing at you subliminally projecting your own insecurities!

Anyway, apart from making up lies and committing some of the worst attempted ad-hom attacks I have ever seen, are you going to actually respond to any of my points? Oh wait, you like to ignore points that you know you can't argue against hahaha oh well It's been fun embarrassing you publicly again. Please don't go off in a huff and "block" me again!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.