x Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriend dumping me because i dont have time for her!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Aw - just dedicate a full day for you and her, she'll love it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    To think none of this would have started if a member of TSR had not chastised another member for accidentally missing out the word 'to' from their original post.
    Once again, demonstrating your inability to read thoroughly. They didn't do it by accident, it was done twice. It's a phrase people say - "I'm going uni" or "I go uni" i.e. missing out the "to" and I just happen to think it sounds ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Once again, demonstrating your inability to read thoroughly. They didn't do it by accident, it was done twice. It's a phrase people say - "I'm going uni" or "I go uni" i.e. missing out the "to" and I just happen to think it sounds ridiculous.
    So if I leave a word out of a sentence because I forget to type it (a common result of how dyslexia effects some people) it means it can't be an accident? Fantastic to know.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So if I leave a word out of a sentence because I forget to type it (a common result of how dyslexia effects some people) it means it can't be an accident? Fantastic to know.
    I'm actually astounded by your inability to interpret a point, judging by our past discussions, discussions I've seen you have with others, the other thread and now this one.

I'll repeat - the "mistake" (if you can call it that) was made not once, but twice. It's not an oversight in typing, it's a plain incorrect use of phrase. As I've said, it's somewhat common for people to do away with the word "to" in the phrase "go to uni" or "going to uni", probably because they've heard others saying it like that and either assume that's the way to say it (a malapropism) or simply just think it's cool to say it like that. It just happens to catch my attention, especially because it was done twice in one post and is clearly not just a typo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I'm actually astounded by your inability to interpret a point, judging by our past discussions, discussions I've seen you have with others, the other thread and now this one.

I'll repeat - the "mistake" (if you can call it that) was made not once, but twice. It's not an oversight in typing, it's a plain incorrect use of phrase. As I've said, it's somewhat common for people to do away with the word "to" in the phrase "go to uni" or "going to uni", probably because they've heard others saying it like that and either assume that's the way to say it (a malapropism) or simply just think it's cool to say it like that. It just happens to catch my attention, especially because it was done twice in one post and is clearly not just a typo.
    Multiple occurrences don't preclude it from being a typo, see my previous post for more information.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even bother ringing her up or...? What? Damn. I am busy as well as a full time student, meaning a different lecture everyday, and I work, and I still see her. But we live together so ok lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Aw - just dedicate a full day for you and her, she'll love it
    Yea like a weekend thing, I did it a lot with my girl when we were just dating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That 2Fase)
    When you demand someone's time while knowing that they're always busy, that's selfish. When you make someone feel as if they've done something wrong if they don't spend time with you despite them being too busy, then that's also selfish. She wants him to abandon and neglect his other commitments and focus his attention on her and she gets upset when he doesn't - childish and selfish. She's absolutely self-centred, not because she wants him to spend more time with her but because she's getting upset with him because he refused to abandon his work and studies and spend time with her. A full grown independent woman with a job would never do that. This girl has no understanding of commitments. That's an alien concept to her.

It's not about her wanting to see him more. It's about her complaining and getting upset that he doesn't spend more time with her while COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that he works, studies and revises throughout the entire week. She thinks she's more important than his work and studies, so clearly she's childish and silly and doesn't understand anything about how life works. Needs to grow up.
    Sorry but I work in a management position full time and I also am studying my MA part time and I see my boyfriend two evenings a week and stay over at the weekend. If OP is working just 3 days a week and going to uni just 3 days a week but only has 1 hour a week for his girlfriend he is either a) extremely poor at managing his time which he should work on immediately or b) in denial of the fact that if he wanted to see his girlfriend he would make time to see her, so he probably isn't as fussed about her as he thinks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SophisticatedSir)
    Did you miss the part where he said he also works 3 days a week?
    Even so that leaves a day a week free, not to mention time in the evenings and free blocks in the university timetable. Struggling to make even 1 hour a week for her just makes it sound like the OP isn't too bothered about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Sorry but I work in a management position full time and I also am studying my MA part time and I see my boyfriend two evenings a week and stay over at the weekend. If OP is working just 3 days a week and going to uni just 3 days a week but only has 1 hour a week for his girlfriend he is either a) extremely poor at managing his time which he should work on immediately or b) in denial of the fact that if he wanted to see his girlfriend he would make time to see her, so he probably isn't as fussed about her as he thinks.
    Pretty much the exact same scenario, in a managerial position and I work late. My girlfriend is a doctor and works long shifts. I'm also considering an MA online part time and I don't think it's going to impact on my time with her that much. Not to mention I travel a lot for work/leisure. I don't know how people manage to waste so much time, Unless there was a really serious reason like being in different countries (outside of the UK!) I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a girl who rationed my time with her to 1/2 an hour a week and she felt satisfied with that. That is a seriously depressing prospect.

Also to all the people mentioning she is too needy, SERIOUSLY? I'd be more concerned if she was bloody happy, that sounds like an almost imminent breakup.

ReputationRep:
    She wants more than you are willing to give her for the foreseeable future. I do think the break up is inevitable, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ron_trns)
    Pretty much the exact same scenario, in a managerial position and I work late. My girlfriend is a doctor and works long shifts. I'm also considering an MA online part time and I don't think it's going to impact on my time with her that much. Not to mention I travel a lot for work/leisure. I don't know how people manage to waste so much time, Unless there was a really serious reason like being in different countries (outside of the UK!) I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a girl who rationed my time with her to 1/2 an hour a week and she felt satisfied with that. That is a seriously depressing prospect.

Also to all the people mentioning she is too needy, SERIOUSLY? I'd be more concerned if she was bloody happy, that sounds like an almost imminent breakup.
    I travel a lot for work too and I've found that by doing MA reading on the journey here, there and everywhere you don't actually need to dedicate that much of your own time to it. I was seeing my boyfriend slightly more before, but we do different things now like he meets me for lunch one day a week as well so I will see him at least 3 times a week unless I am really, REALLY busy. It's definitely doable anyhow. Agreed that I wouldn't want a 1 hour a week relationship!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive been dating her for two years now and i really like her, my first long term relationship. However i started uni this year and my life has become extremely busy. I go uni 3 days a week, work 3 days a week and im doing some extra exams to get an accreditation for something. As a result i have hardly anytime to see her, i see her once a week for 1/2 hrs max maybe. She has been complaining ever since and she kind of insinuated yesterday that we should breakup. Its the last thing i want to do but do you think its inevitable?, As much as i like her, I cant stop working or going uni for her.
    Pretty simple this one, either

a) She has to learn that you're not going to achieve this academic goal if shes buzzing around like a fly around ****

b) Find a girlfriend who gives you space and understands you have to work hard
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Multiple occurrences don't preclude it from being a typo, see my previous post for more information.
    So a fairly common mistake among - pardon me for being rude, OP - less articulate university-goers, just happens to pop up twice, in one post, yet it's probably just a typo? Alrighty...

I dont think you know how hard it is to study for ACCA exams while doing a degree, i have always been good at managing my time. In addition working 30 hours to support my family and myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Even so that leaves a day a week free, not to mention time in the evenings and free blocks in the university timetable. Struggling to make even 1 hour a week for her just makes it sound like the OP isn't too bothered about her.
    ...yeah except he's not really "free". He doesn't have a free day, because even though he doesn't have university or work on that day and in the evenings, he still needs to dedicate that time to studying and revising, and he has other commitments too (family, friends, hobbies, alone time). There's no such thing as free time, he's a very busy guy, he has exams to revise for and he needs time to relax from all the working and studying. That's why he can only give his girlfriend 1 hour per week. She's being completely unreasonable and childish. He doesn't have time for her, he has a life and he has important things to do. She should be grateful for the hour that he gives her each week. I can't understand why people struggle to understand this situation. The guy is drowning in commitments and responsibilities, he's doing the right thing by dedicating time to what's important. He's at a vital stage in his life, he doesn't need some ungrateful immature little girl trying to make him feel guilty for dedicating time to important duties and commitments. She'd be better off with an unemployed man who doesn't work or study because he can be with her 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont think you know how hard it is to study for ACCA exams while doing a degree, i have always been good at managing my time. In addition working 30 hours to support my family and myself.
    I find it really strange and frankly annoying how people can be so blind to this. THE DUDE IS WORKING 30 HOURS PER WEEK AND REVISING FOR EXAMS!!!! And then you get told that you're bad at managing your time and that you don't care about your girlfriend! Hahahaha, I give up. Why can't women be independent and mature? Why do they demand their partners to abandon their commitments and spend all their time on them? Madness! Where have all the independent women disappeared off to

ReputationRep:
    Take it from me OP as a fulltime student you can find time if you want to. I can imagine the lack of intimacy for 2 years how that would make a woman feel.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by That 2Fase)
    ...yeah except he's not really "free". He doesn't have a free day, because even though he doesn't have university or work on that day and in the evenings, he still needs to dedicate that time to studying and revising, and he has other commitments too (family, friends, hobbies, alone time). There's no such thing as free time, he's a very busy guy, he has exams to revise for and he needs time to relax from all the working and studying. That's why he can only give his girlfriend 1 hour per week.
    If he's only got 1 hour a week to spare then the problem is poor time management, juggling study, hobbies and friends/family (which should include his partner) in the unscheduled time isn't too hard - there's 168 hours in a week, assuming appprox 20 hours contact time with the university, the 30 working hours and six hours sleep a night (roughly the average afaik), that leaves 76 hours a week time to study, have fun and deal with their social life. Only giving 1 hour of it to his partner suggests he's not that bothered, given he's not given any hint of availability clashes between his and her hobbies.

She's being completely unreasonable and childish. He doesn't have time for her, he has a life and he has important things to do. She should be grateful for the hour that he gives her each week. I can't understand why people struggle to understand this situation. The guy is drowning in commitments and responsibilities, he's doing the right thing by dedicating time to what's important. He's at a vital stage in his life, he doesn't need some ungrateful immature little girl trying to make him feel guilty for dedicating time to important duties and commitments. She'd be better off with an unemployed man who doesn't work or study because he can be with her 24/7.
    Expecting some attention to be paid to her by her boyfriend is not at all childish or unrealistic, it's something that should be a given in a serious relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I agree with you completely. How dare he work 30 hours a week to support his family instead of choosing to spend those 30 hours seeing his girlfriend? How dare he spend time revising for tough exams instead of spending that time chilling out with his girlfriend. And if that wasn't enough, he has the nerve to spend 3 days per week attending university instead of skiving off and hanging out with his girlfriend. How dare he?? He's a terrible boyfriend, clearly he doesn't care about his girlfriend. If he truly cared about his girlfriend, he'd quit university and become unemployed so that he can spend all his time with his girlfriend. That's the only way to be a good boyfriend.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.