Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does depression last forever watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LD1000)
    I've been depressed for almost 4 years it seems like it's gonna last forever
    For most people yes but most people treated will see certain symptoms disappear and others die down.

The biggest predictor of someone attempting suicide is a loss of hope so seek help asap

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Trust that's y I'm scared 2 go train stations something's I feel like jumping in front of the train that's y I stand well back

ReputationRep:
    Ive been trying 2 tackle the cause for years like I think this girl hates me I've been trying 2 make things right but she won't listen I've been loving her since 07 it's nearly 2016 so like 9 years now I guess love is blind, not only that I've got a lot of family problems as well so like being depressed makes you stronger in a way

ReputationRep:
    Ive been trying 2 tackle the cause for years like I think this girl hates me I've been trying 2 make things right but she won't listen I've been loving her since 07 it's nearly 2016 so like 9 years now I guess love is blind, not only that I've got a lot of family problems as well so like being depressed makes you stronger in a way
    It's character forming just like any strong experience in life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, im so sorry you feel this way, but of course not, it doesn't last forever.
    What measures have you taken to try and treat it? (I'm assuming you mean "depressed" in the clinical sense?)

ReputationRep:
    True

ReputationRep:
    I've been smoking drinking n all that

ReputationRep:
    You aren't doing the right thing to treat it unless you take the prescribed medication and more importantly going to see a counsellor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did like 4-5 years ago it was ok

ReputationRep:
    Nothing lasts forever. That's an empowering fact not a depressing one and we ought to be emboldened by it. We are born into a losing struggle. I don't see the benefit in deceiving ourselves about this. Far as I, a mere pattern seeking mammal can tell, it's up to us to derive the meaning in our lives and I figure we better make the most of it don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Does it last forever?
    If you are married with kids it feels like forever.😞

ReputationRep:
    I ain't married

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    How can you tell if you have depression and does it feel different from grief? I've lost 3 family members within a relatively small space of time (about 5 years) and two of them were fairly young when they passed.
    First of all, I'm sorry that's happened to you. That's absolutely awful. According to the NHS, the main difference is a person who is experiencing solely grief will experience "loss and sadness that will come and go, but they're still able to enjoy things and look forward to the future." People who have developed depression will feel constant sadness, unable to enjoy things and finding it hard to be positive about the future.

If you're unsure, please see your GP. Don't suffer alone.

I've been depressed for almost 4 years it seems like it's gonna last forever
    First of all, it's important to recognize that this is a symptom within itself. When we're depressed, we feel hopeless - don't trust that feeling that it will always be this bad, because it won't.

Is depression a lifelong condition? For some, yes. Personally, I've been dealing with it for seven years. I remember feeling like this, like things would never get better. Spoiler alert: it did. It will for you, too. It will take time and it will take effort (I won't lie to you, you'll have to work at it), but it will.

I did like 4-5 years ago it was ok
    Please see your GP. A lot changes in four or five years. You should definitely give therapy and / or medication another go. Persevere with it - it's not a quick process, as I said before, it will take time and effort. Regardless, they are definitely better treatments than smoking and drinking. Smoking and drinking are temporary fixes - in the long term, they will add, not take away from, your problems. You need to try and find healthy coping methods, such as walking or drawing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    First of all, I'm sorry that's happened to you. That's absolutely awful. According to the NHS, the main difference is a person who is experiencing solely grief will experience "loss and sadness that will come and go, but they're still able to enjoy things and look forward to the future." People who have developed depression will feel constant sadness, unable to enjoy things and finding it hard to be positive about the future.

If you're unsure, please see your GP. Don't suffer alone.

First of all, it's important to recognize that this is a symptom within itself. When we're depressed, we feel hopeless - don't trust that feeling that it will always be this bad, because it won't.

Is depression a lifelong condition? For some, yes. Personally, I've been dealing with it for seven years. I remember feeling like this, like things would never get better. Spoiler alert: it did. It will for you, too. It will take time and it will take effort (I won't lie to you, you'll have to work at it), but it will.
    Thank you for caring; I think I might have light depression. I'll go and see my GP.

ReputationRep:
    What is it that you want out of life? Are you working towards it? People get depressed when they don't move forward in their lives, and stagnate.

I don't think a person can either be 'depressed' or 'not depressed' but rather it is a continuum.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it will get better think my depression has got a bit better since 4 years ago

ReputationRep:
    I always told people I'm depressed they say I'm 2 young 4 that I'm only 19 everyone's a hypercrite

ReputationRep:
    I just want to be happy in life I'm trying but it's not working

ReputationRep:
    Hope not.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.