Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you consider yourself a feminist? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself a feminist?
    Yes, I support feminism and wear the label proudly
    32.96%
    Only in the sense that I support equal rights for men and women, but I prefer to call myself an "egalitarian"
    54.75%
    No, I believe in traditional gender roles
    12.29%

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm an intersectional feminist.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like the word egalitarian. I don't call myself a feminist because I can't be bothered to start an argument just via that label alone but egalitarian just sounds like a word that's become trendy because people don't want to go by feminist. I don't see the point. Either call yourself a feminist or don't. You don't need a separate label if you don't entirely agree with what feminists stand for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a libertarian feminist and proud.

ReputationRep:
    Flawed poll. I fit into both options two and three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Trouble is that people associate feminism with the crazy feminists rather than the normal ones with sensible ideas
    That's the problem. Look up some of he worst ****lord quotes in feminism and its the great and good, the leading voices that are responsible for them.
    The majority of the feminists I know in the real world are reasonable people you can have a reasoned debate with.
    Online it's another matter entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    I really don't like the word egalitarian. I don't call myself a feminist because I can't be bothered to start an argument just via that label alone but egalitarian just sounds like a word that's become trendy because people don't want to go by feminist. I don't see the point. Either call yourself a feminist or don't. You don't need a separate label if you don't entirely agree with what feminists stand for.
    It's really curious how feminists get visibly upset when they realise that their club does not have a monopoly on the idea of gender equality.

A few things: as TurboCretin has already pointed out, feminism is not just 'equalityermagherd'. It's a theory of how society works, and someone who doesn't understand this theory may feel it is more honest to describe themselves as an egalitarian. I daresay that for most of the self-confessed 'feminists' on here their education on the movement stops at a single, superficial dictionary definition that they found on freedictionary.com, which is probably another reason a growing number of people have contempt for the movement.

Secondly, many people think feminism is now inflaming rather than abating gender inequality and has generally become a corrosive influence on society, and would therefore prefer to disassociate themselves from it and associate with what they feel to be unpoisoned territory. Others may fully understand feminist theory and disagree with it more fundamentally.

The reason feminists often take a disliking to 'egalitarians' is that it brings into focus for them that feminism does not have complete control of the moral high ground and it is even possible that their bitterest opponents might sit a little higher than them on it after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    That's the problem. Look up some of he worst ****lord quotes in feminism and its the great and good, the leading voices that are responsible for them.
    The majority of the feminists I know in the real world are reasonable people you can have a reasoned debate with.
    Online it's another matter entirely.
    Online you can hide behind a monitor and say anything, in real life you cannot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    It's really curious how feminists get visibly upset when they realise that their club does not have a monopoly on the idea of gender equality.

A few things: as TurboCretin has already pointed out, feminism is not just 'equalityermagherd'. It's a theory of how society works, and someone who doesn't understand this theory may feel it is more honest to describe themselves as an egalitarian. I daresay that for most of the self-confessed 'feminists' on here their education on the movement stops at a single, superficial dictionary definition that they found on freedictionary.com, which is probably another reason a growing number of people have contempt for the movement.

Secondly, many people think feminism is now inflaming rather than abating gender inequality and has generally become a corrosive influence on society, and would therefore prefer to disassociate themselves from it and associate with what they feel to be unpoisoned territory. Others may fully understand feminist theory and disagree with it more fundamentally.

The reason feminists often take a disliking to 'egalitarians' is that it brings into focus for them that feminism does not have complete control of the moral high ground and it is even possible that their bitterest opponents might sit a little higher than them on it after all.
    1. Not a feminist. Don't call myself one. Don't want to deal with gender equality arguments. The point I was trying to make was, though by technical definition I'm a feminist, directly calling myself one just makes people think I agree with all the kooks so I don't.
    2. No like I said, I don't like the word egalitarian as for a lot of people, it's a trendy thing. Like saying "Oh well I'm too smart to be a feminist so I'm this other posh word." People don't need another label. You can just not be a feminist and support equality (not to imply feminism doesn't; I'm personally divided on that topic).
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Yes, I'm an intersectional feminist.
    Is that a new yoga pose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Is that a new yoga pose?
    http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/01/...intersectional

ReputationRep:
    I support gender equality so I'm not a feminist. Couldn't vote because theres no option for me.

ReputationRep:
    Feminist, yeah.
    Feminazi? Hell no!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I clicked on that link and suddenly became retardedwubwubwubdubd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    I clicked on that link and suddenly became retardedwubwubwubdubd
    :rolleyes: brah, all it is, is an inclusive form of feminism. It understands women of colour, transwomen etc. have it worse than a white, middle-class, cis gendered woman. All the facets of their identity which people discriminate against intersect. They don't exist in a vacuum essentially, when it comes to people's daily lives.

Also, it understands how men are constricted by gender roles too, how guys are laughed at when they say they were raped or beaten by a woman etc. and so the notion of gender roles being harmful if they're imposed and pressured upon people is understood.

It's the best form of feminism basically. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    yes- who doesn't believe in equality of the sexes?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    I support gender equality so I'm not a feminist. Couldn't vote because theres no option for me.
    that makes no sense...does a feminist not support gender equality?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on how you are defining it really.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    :rolleyes: brah, all it is, is an inclusive form of feminism. It understands women of colour, transwomen etc. have it worse than a white, middle-class, cis gendered woman. All the facets of their identity which people discriminate against intersect. They don't exist in a vacuum essentially, when it comes to people's daily lives.

Also, it understands how men are constricted by gender roles too, how guys are laughed at when they say they were raped or beaten by a woman etc. and so the notion of gender roles being harmful if they're imposed and pressured upon people is understood.

It's the best form of feminism basically. :awesome:
    In my experience trying to shove too many things up my body to please everyone usually to my vagina prolapsing.

The same goes with ill-thought theories.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.