Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Once there was this young lady who was working in the same industry as I did who tried to add me to her network on Linkedin. Wanting to know more about what she did, I clicked on her profile. There before me was this well-taken picture which made her look very attractive, nothing short of stunning; if I were half my age I would have asked her out for drinks despite the societal faux pas. Nevertheless, I sent her a message complimenting her on how "stunning" - to use the exact words - her photo was. Though not in a lecherous way at all; I had (and still have, thankfully) a wife my age and a daughter who is almost her age.

Unfortunately, things turned pear shaped as she took offense to my compliment and proceeded to write a long message back to me about how sexist I was, and then further published our private messages on Twitter (which is the number one cardinal sin in our profession). I went through a trial of fire by social media as my past internet comments were dug up to show my ugly side - including screenshots of me commenting on how fine my daughter's (who is a personal trainer, by the way) body was. The young lady was not spared either - tabloid newspapers also dug up dirt on her, with screenshots of her ogling men (who are half my age) on Facebook, going "Ooh la la".

Thankfully, all of this has boiled over now and my long-suffering wife and I can now breathe a sigh of relief. I haven't been fired, and the young lady is now in a better position than before, giving lectures on institutional sexism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Why are guys so insecure :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    Why are all of your posts supporting girls all the time? Are you that thirsty lol
    **** me. I'm so dead :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A.G. You're killing me ffs on every thead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Guys can also be extremely insecure, masculinity is a very fragile thing. I just don't think guys show it as much.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Insecure people are those who always criticize other people for how they look or how they act. And once you criticise them, they feel attacked. Basically people who can talk crap but not take it.
    Which perfectly describes you
    Hmm I don't think that's true. I don't mind criticism at all when it's warranted - and in fact, I welcome it since that's how people learn and develop.

The problem is that I reached perfection a few years ago now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy. I have plenty of insecurities. I'm not insecure about being insecure though. DWI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Once there was this young lady who was working in the same industry as I did who tried to add me to her network on Linkedin. Wanting to know more about what she did, I clicked on her gprofile. There before me was this well-taken picture which made her look very attractive, nothing short of stunning; if I were half my age I would have asked her out for drinks despite the societal faux pas. Nevertheless, I sent her a message complimenting her on how "stunning" - to use the exact words - her photo was. Though not in a lecherous way at all; I had (and still have, thankfully) a wife my age and a daughter who is almost her age.

Unfortunately, things turned pear shaped as she took offense to my compliment and proceeded to write a long message back to me about how sexist I was, and then further published our private messages on Twitter (which is the number one cardinal sin in our profession). I went through a trial of fire by social media as my past internet comments were dug up to show my ugly side - including screenshots of me commenting on how fine my daughter's (who is a personal trainer, by the way) body was. The young lady was not spared either - tabloid newspapers also dug up dirt on her, with screenshots of her ogling men (who are half my age) on Facebook, going "Ooh la la".

Thankfully, all of this has boiled over now and my long-suffering wife and I can now breathe a sigh of relief. I haven't been fired, and the young lady is now in a better position than before, giving lectures on institutional sexism.
    Holy ****.

Mad respect u managed to overcome that

That lady is legit insane :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Once there was this young lady who was working in the same industry as I did who tried to add me to her network on Linkedin. Wanting to know more about what she did, I clicked on her profile. There before me was this well-taken picture which made her look very attractive, nothing short of stunning; if I were half my age I would have asked her out for drinks despite the societal faux pas. Nevertheless, I sent her a message complimenting her on how "stunning" - to use the exact words - her photo was. Though not in a lecherous way at all; I had (and still have, thankfully) a wife my age and a daughter who is almost her age.

Is this true ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Charlotte15)
    Is this true ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Goddamit Ms Proudman, stop harassing me! I've apologised already!

ReputationRep:
    Goddamit Ms Proudman, stop harassing me! I've apologised already!
    Confused but good on your wife for not getting annoyed about you messaging another woman, even though it was nothing more than a compliment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if you compliment a guy...

"Mate I think you did that last cannula really well"

They'll just be like "I know" (*arrogant face*)

But you tell a girl,

"Wow your case presentation was really well done - I think you have such a great style of presenting complex information in a simple way - emphasising all the key points. You're so talented"

And they're just so happy and will love you forever. They all believe everything you tell them - even if it's blatantly not true.

Why is this? It seems unfair lol
    I don't want to generalise too much, but it could be that girls have a better sense of what it means to be polite. If you receive a compliment, you ought to show gratitude or even return a compliment yourself. Arrogance is considered in society to be an unfavourable personality trait, but it can be done for comic effect (as in your example about the cannula :teehee:) and so on.

I would also suggest that your second example about the case presentation is more of an extended compliment rather than a straightforward "that was good" kind of a compliment, perhaps explaining the female reaction you described. :mmm:

Just a few thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Charlotte15)
    Confused but good on your wife for not getting annoyed about you messaging another woman, even though it was nothing more than a compliment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (tip: google your username and the name I mentioned)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria G Agnesi)
    I don't want to generalise too much, but it could be that girls have a better sense of what it means to be polite. If you receive a compliment, you ought to show gratitude or even return a compliment yourself. Arrogance is considered in society to be an unfavourable personality trait, but it can be done for comic effect (as in your example about the cannula :teehee:) and so on.

I would also suggest that your second example about the case presentation is more of an extended compliment rather than a straightforward "that was good" kind of a compliment, perhaps explaining the female reaction you described. :mmm:

Just a few thoughts.
    amen

ReputationRep:
    Are you insecure drowsy? And are you into Pokemon lol
    I can be at times, it depends. Well yes, obviously. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria G Agnesi)

Just a few thoughts.
    Hmm I don't think it's down to politeness, personally. One can be polite by smiling and a simple response but a lot of girls lose their composure and become very flustered. I think it's particularly true of they fancy you.

The extended compliment - well again, that's simply because of two reasons 1. Girls see through BS - so generic compliments are often really not that successful and you have to try and convince them that give really thought about what you're saying and 2. You put more effort into something when you know it's going to have a desired result.

ReputationRep:
    Guys can also be extremely insecure, masculinity is a very fragile thing. I just don't think guys show it as much.
    I have a friend that wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a t-shirt in public if he hasn't worked out his arms, or that they feel skinny. He is insecure about how he looks, but he openly admits this and told me he wants to care less about what others think.

ReputationRep:
    I can be at times, it depends. Well yes, obviously. :lol:
    Did you know I have a shiny charizard and the entire base set ?! How cool is that. Back in the day I used to be that kid at school with like 5 charizard and an ancient new - I soooo into Pokemon. I did Gold and Silver just to get Lugia and Ho oh at L70. I had a cheat cartridge.

I used to love Pokemon lol

Drowsee though...Gengar is much cooler

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't think it's down to politeness, personally. One can be polite by smiling and a simple response but a lot of girls lose their composure and become very flustered. I think it's particularly true of they fancy you.
    Ah, okay. That's what you meant. I can't say I've ever personally made a girl go wild after giving her a compliment, but it's probably too early for me now. :lol:

The extended compliment - well again, that's simply because of two reasons 1. Girls see through BS - so generic compliments are often really not that successful and you have to try and convince them that give really thought about what you're saying and 2. You put more effort into something when you know it's going to have a desired result.
    Good point. Taking notice of specific details does show interest/paying attention. I wouldn't say generic compliments don't have their value, but it can make the difference between giving a friend a compliment and a (potential) girlfriend a compliment. That goes back to your point of a desired result, I guess. But it's not impossible to be highly complimentary of someone's achievements or appearance or anything else just for the sake of it, though it's usually the case that it's for a desired result (as you mentioned).

ReputationRep:
    Media pressure...girls are pressured to look in a certain way...curvy with boobs and bum, whilst having no fat anywhere else. Also, a perfect face without make-up and hair without straighteners. Also, having a sweet persona and being shy. ¬___¬ What kind of girl will exist like that? OT: Well, girls will be girls.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if you compliment a guy...

"Mate I think you did that last cannula really well"

They'll just be like "I know" (*arrogant face*)

But you tell a girl,

"Wow your case presentation was really well done - I think you have such a great style of presenting complex information in a simple way - emphasising all the key points. You're so talented"

And they're just so happy and will love you forever. They all believe everything you tell them - even if it's blatantly not true.

Why is this? It seems unfair lol
    Hi there. *waves*
    You're wrong. Girls don't blindly believe everything you tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (tip: google your username and the name I mentioned)
    Ahhh I get you, clever haha. Are you the 'male solicitor'? Bet you hate people with the name Charlotte now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.