Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University is just a product being sold to young people, degrees are worthless now watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newgolddream)
    As the number of graduates increases every year - it becomes more and more important to do the right degree (STEM subjects, Computer Science, Law, Accountancy, Medicine etc). Then get the right attitude - the world does not owe you a living. Perhaps you can get yourself on a "graduate programme" run by one of the big corporates and you'll be fast tracked to good financial position in no time! Easy?
    Then the global slow down comes and they'll remove a cushy tier of the corporation. And you'll be back at square one since no one will be employing then and you'll be too over qualified for basic jobs LOL.

Dreams eh?

ReputationRep:
    Even assuming that you don't get relevant knowledge that is needed for your job- degree ( assuming an OK mark ) shows dedication to something and that a person is able to work hard. And the harder the degree is -more likely it is to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    I miss the old days when a employer would pay you through university as long as you worked for 5 years (or maybe 3 years cant remember) at the end, they even paid the fees and a wage whilst at uni.

I remember seeing one for a local factory when I was 19 but feeling I didnt want tied down to the job after, then the factory closed 3 years later so I could of gone to a course I liked and got fees paid and chose employer after (at the time the degree would of given a lot of job offers)
    Yup - 3 years i think was common.

What could have been! I had an "offer in principle" from the Army to attend Sandhurst and they would pay me a small salary, pay for my degree and guarantee a 5 year short service commission in the Guards, subject to me passing "RCB". My parents talked me out of it

ReputationRep:
    It was not all that long ago that a university education was seen as valuable in and of itself. Now universities are full of kids that just see a degree as a step to a graduate program and eventually achieving their life's ambition of middle management. Is this purely down to the changes in funding? Or are kids really that lacking in imagination now?

ReputationRep:
    I wanna do Forensics Science, was gonna do a lab technician apprenticeship but i dunno if it will get me to where I wanna 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    University degrees are for people who are passionate about a cause or subject and wan't to voluntarily specialize in that field.

Many of the today's candidates just apply for name sake reasons. For those people yes it's definitely a wasteful product.
    Well it's a pretty expensive passion if you're going to be paying £36k for it

ReputationRep:
    Think of it just as further education. It gives people a few extra years to mature, study one subject in depth, learn to time manage and understand there aren't second chances at university, push themselves academically, learn to live away from home, cook for themselves, list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with you if that person has no interest in learning and is only going for the experience. University is a very important part of many young people's lives and I think it's a fantastic opportunity!

I hated school, but going back to college as a mature student has made me reallise just how valuable an education really is. It can make you more involved in society, more aware. I want to be a teacher and this will get me there. Degrees are only worthless if you think they are, it's subjective. Personal growth can be more important in some instances than financial growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigglr)
    Almost everyone is doing a degree now, and I think that University is something that everyone thinks / has been told that they need to do, not just for the degree but for the experience, and I think it is just a product being sold to us that we have been brainwashed into thinking we need, when in reality once we enter the job market there will be so many other people with a degree that ours will be pretty much useless (unless it's an exceptional degree like medicine). I think the most successful of the young people of our generation will be the entrepeneurs and creators, especially in the tech industry, not the people that have a degree,
    It could be that there is a lot of inflated degrees. Personally I don't think the fundamental nature of the world changes, it's always been about work/knowledge/constructive industry.

And yes degrees err on the expensive side. Majority of degrees and not work what's being charged for the,.

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone is doing a degree now, and I think that University is something that everyone thinks / has been told that they need to do, not just for the degree but for the experience, and I think it is just a product being sold to us that we have been brainwashed into thinking we need, when in reality once we enter the job market there will be so many other people with a degree that ours will be pretty much useless (unless it's an exceptional degree like medicine). I think the most successful of the young people of our generation will be the entrepeneurs and creators, especially in the tech industry, not the people that have a degree,
    nice to see youve matured now, rather than arguing non stop that law would guarantee you a top job a few months ago. Listen to wiser people, before you have to experience the harsh reality unpreprared like myself and many others warned. Hope you can work on things.

ReputationRep:
    A degree is worth what you put into it.
    There's no point in getting a degree if you aren't going to put enough effort in order to achieve at least a 2:1.
    There's no point in doing a degree if you're just doing it just to get a degree.
    If you back up your degree with experience (even if not that relevant) and if it is relevant to what you want to do in the future, then yes I think it is worth it.
    Far too many people go to universities just for the sake of getting a degree and then have no idea what to do afterwards because the degree they choose isn't that useful or they don't have the relevant work experience to work in their field.

I wrote this in the other thread. I think its applicable here.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. There are quite a few professions that still require a degree. If not, having a degree can be used sort of like a fast track instead of spending years gaining experience, so I think degrees still serve a purpose.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.