Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Improving the MHoC Discussion Thread watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And , it would work like this

The Shadow secretary of state will submit 3 questions to ask the secretary to birch , MPs will submit 3/4questions to the secretary via birch and then members will submit there questions via birch
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    - Updates should always be before midnight. It isn't cool when I have to stay up till 2 in the morning just for the update.
    That's fair enough. I will ask Toronto to cover for me in future if I'm running seriously late.
    - There should be a PMQs every week, and a different department's question time every day. This would mean that more areas got discussed, and would make it more like the rl MHoC.
    I have no problem in holding PMQs and departmental questions more often, if this is requested by the PM/government members.
    - More of an effort should be made to publicise the MHoC. When you think about it it's actually pretty amazing, I mean we've basically created an entire political system with its own traditions and conventions on TSR and yet upwards of 75% of TSRians don't even know about it - the election turnout proves me right.
    I'll ask the CT to hear their thoughts on how we can further promote the House. The mass PM goes to approx. 10,000 TSR users, and the House has been linked on the sidebar. I'll hear what's feasible with the CT and then report back.
    - The Speaker should be able to be more involved in the daily life of the House. I know they're supposed to be neutral and all that, but having a drink in the Bar a couple of times a week doesn't count as expressing your political views.
    Good idea, I'll make more of an effort to wind down in the bar - staying strictly neutral of course!

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about when we get updates. MPs should pay attention to their responsibilities themselves and Birch isn't our nanny.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I don't care about when we get updates. MPs should pay attention to their responsibilities themselves and Birch isn't our nanny.
    I couldn't agree more. Just go to bed and read the update the next day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    You certainly have a point, and Birch is doing this out of their choice, they're not paid or anything, but it would be nice, given I think there is a speaker and at least one deputy speaker if the majority of the time the MHoC update went out on the day, it is a nice summary and if a MP is overly busy for a couple days it's easy to miss a motion or bill going up for discussion or vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    does it? I mean everyone got the mass PM. I think that you will find what happened was that most people don't care about our political system.
    Exactly my point. Most people thought either 'wtf?' or 'oh, it's that weird TSR parliament thing' when they saw the PM and didn't vote. That needs to change.

(Original post by Birchington)
    I have no problem in holding PMQs and departmental questions more often, if this is requested by the PM/government members.
    That's the problem. The government isn't going to request to be questioned when it needs to be, ie when everything is going wrong. That's why there needs to be a schedule.

Good idea, I'll make more of an effort to wind down in the bar - staying strictly neutral of course!
    It's not often you hear someone say that :lol:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Exactly my point. Most people thought either 'wtf?' or 'oh, it's that weird TSR parliament thing' when they saw the PM and didn't vote. That needs to change.

That's the problem. The government isn't going to request to be questioned when it needs to be, ie when everything is going wrong. That's why there needs to be a schedule.

It's not often you hear someone say that :lol:
    Because a lot of people hate us because apparently we come off stuck up and entitled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Because a lot of people hate us because apparently we come off stuck up and entitled.
    Well that's pretty accurate for quite a few MHoCers, particularly those from one right-wing party in particular.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's fair enough. I will ask Toronto to cover for me in future if I'm running seriously late.
    I'll ask the CT to hear their thoughts on how we can further promote the House. The mass PM goes to approx. 10,000 TSR users, and the House has been linked on the sidebar. I'll hear what's feasible with the CT and then report back.
    Based on the first, does this mean all MHoC stuff should have Toronto CCed in. And as I said, I think it should be irrelevant when, waiting until the morning or next afternoon/evening doesn't make any difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well that's pretty accurate for quite a few MHoCers, particularly those from one right-wing party in particular.
    And not reserved to MHoC

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And not reserved to MHoC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed. Champagne, police officers and conferences spring to mind.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Based on the first, does this mean all MHoC stuff should have Toronto CCed in. And as I said, I think it should be irrelevant when, waiting until the morning or next afternoon/evening doesn't make any difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Items should just be sent to me unless I request otherwise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Indeed. Champagne, police officers and conferences spring to mind.
    I was more thinking every other sub forum, especially in D&CA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Improving the MHoC - Your Ideas
    I have been planning this thread for a while and now seems the right time after the election.

Let me know your thoughts on how we can improve the MHoC forum and community.

What needs changing - what works or doesn't?
    What would you like to see introduced that would make a positive difference?

I'm not sure this has been done before but I feel it will be good for the House's future.
    New developments currently in the pipeline:
    *A re-written bill style guide following August's consultation - something I haven't forgotten about but which has taken a back seat during the referendum and election.
    we could have a usable idea of whats going on, maybe some charts or something?
    you could change the deadlines for stuff to midday rather than midnight.
    we could advertise?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see Early Day Motions introduced- we debate them for a few days, without a vote. Some matters should be just there for the record and debate- for example if we as a House wish to extend sympathy or congratulations to someone or a group of people.

It would be more structured than a conversation in the bar, and easier to find.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    we could have a usable idea of whats going on, maybe some charts or something?
    you could change the deadlines for stuff to midday rather than midnight.
    we could advertise?
    1) Not sure what you mean by 'charts' - it would be good to hear more on this idea.

2) There are no deadlines for submissions unless during an election/coalition building period.

3) Advertising takes place during elections via a mass PM/sidebar link. Perhaps we could do more to advertise the MHoC during a Parliament as well.

ReputationRep:
    1) Not sure what you mean by 'charts' - it would be good to hear more on this idea.

2) There are no deadlines for submissions unless during an election/coalition building period.

3) Advertising takes place during elections via a mass PM/sidebar link. Perhaps we could do more to advertise the MHoC during a Parliament as well.
    charts as in the sort of colourful pie charts, bar charts etc that you can generate with excel data.
    to show things like the party representation in the house, how parties voted on a bill or motion, who created the most legislation, percentage of legislation passed (overall and for each parties) and of course graphs to show activity.

ReputationRep:
    On the question of updates, I would prefer them earlier. I recognise that Mr Speaker (or a future Madam Speaker were there to be one) has many other matters to attend to, and so it would be unreasonable to insist. I am happy to review matters and bills in the morning as I am doing today..

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.