Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do a lot of gay people speak / act like this watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    Your a basic... Go back to your coloring book.
    Your
    sorry but i giggled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    They are entirely different things. One is to which sex I am attracted, the other is how I effectuate my gender identity. Perhaps there are a high number of gay men due to the socialization of gender, we have no idea.

Additionally, even if there were a casual relationship between the two, they would still be entirely different things as one is 'gender expression' and the other 'sexual orientation'. Which are entirely different concepts.
    I realize that gender identity and sexual orientation are different things, I am just pointing out that the two are clearly linked somehow, you are talking about the two as though they have nothing to do with each other. I don't think socialization has anything to do with effeminate gay men, I'm not even sure what you mean. Boys like Joey Graceffa in the OP are the kind who have been effeminate since the day they were born and were probably bullied for being 'sissies' since they were in first grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyDualscar)
    sorry but i giggled
    Yeah typos happen. I remembered to caps though.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly typos. ;giggles secretly;

ReputationRep:
    Probably sound homophobic these days but we used to joke that it was because of what they did with their mouth to another man so caused pressure on the throat, though you can guess the way we worded it lol.

I think hormones do play a part though, I know very few outright lad type gay guys, many like male interests but another part i assume is the combination of nature and nurture.

Many gay men still work in the theatre even if not outright flamboyant (though may have the old fashioned theatrical acting)

So many gay guys I know play up the queen stereotype, being as loud and in your face as possible and often quite rude and nasty then if you get annoyed they claim you are homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    It has little to do with sexual orientation. It's to do with being very extroverted and impressionable. It's an image however that is applied to LGBT communities to these same characteristics (e.g pride) that they needed to provoke change.

If you were to encounter the average gay person, they wouldn't sound very much like this, especially if they're happy living in a straight-majority environment.

It's worth noting that many Americans speak like this, no matter their sexual orientation.

I quite like it to be fair, it's bubbly and makes the person seem a lot more interesting. Hence why straight girls have this obsession for camp, gay friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Probably sound homophobic these days but we used to joke that it was because of what they did with their mouth to another man so caused pressure on the throat, though you can guess the way we worded it lol.

I think hormones do play a part though, I know very few outright lad type gay guys, many like male interests but another part i assume is the combination of nature and nurture.

Many gay men still work in the theatre even if not outright flamboyant (though may have the old fashioned theatrical acting)

So many gay guys I know play up the queen stereotype, being as loud and in your face as possible and often quite rude and nasty then if you get annoyed they claim you are homophobic.
    What you're talking about reminds me of this:

ReputationRep:
    And your comment "bad misunderstanding" represents a double negative, but because I'm not a sissy ***** I didnt make a drama out of it. Why do you claim hormones should effect all people equally? does it not occur to you that strength, susceptibility and exposure time are all contributing factors and that is the reason why you get varying different degrees? so all gay men wont necessarily display foppish, slack wrist, battyman behavior [this will also hold true with lesbians in the reverse respect] btw] and will not be present equally- but if it were there would be a prime indicator of the syndrome of homosexuality.

Perhaps I shouldn't insult you. Nature has already done a good job of that.
    True, I am a guy who has questionable sexuality but I have very high levels of testosterone to the point I started puberty early and have always looked fat even when underweight due to build, large hands and feet etc even now it annoys me that most mens 5 o clock shadow is more like a midday shadow for me so if I go a day without shaving it has the same amount of stubble as many guys who go a week without shaving.

But I am the most gentle person you can meet and more about romance than traditonal male ideas of relationships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    I realize that gender identity and sexual orientation are different things, I am just pointing out that the two are clearly linked somehow, you are talking about the two as though they have nothing to do with each other. I don't think socialization has anything to do with effeminate gay men, I'm not even sure what you mean. Boys like Joey Graceffa in the OP are the kind who have been effeminate since the day they were born and were probably bullied for being 'sissies' since they were in first grade.
    You're pointing out that they are linked, in what seems to be a causal manner. As, otherwise, they would be independent variables from one another and would therefore be "entirely different things".

By 'socialization' I mean learned acquired behaviors. The idea of innate gender behaviors is not highly tenable, especially given the dearth of contemporary research. At best the research on gender shows some sort of correlative (to call is causal would be questionable) between presumed biological sex and gender behaviors. For example, boys showing a preference for firetrucks. However, it's unclear whether this is an innate behavior or a learned behavior.

Furthermore, the actual behaviors associated with gender aren't innate. You don't wear high heels or dresses (or whatever gender behavior related to mannerisms and expression) because of a biologically ingrained innate factor; you do it because society has defined gender in such a way as to make this normative behavior.

Claiming that there's a relationship between sexual orientation (which is likely caused by biology, or has biological influences) and gender, such that the former has a causal effect on the latter is highly questionable, as the latter has no consistent expression within sexual orientation groups.

ReputationRep:
    Your post contains all sorts of wrongs on many levels i cant even pick them all out. The first line of this piece of research from Berkley more or less defeats everything you present as an 'argument' here http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...-29-2000a.html
    (1) utero hormone levels and its potential affects on sexual orientation - Well yes this has been demonstrated by Prof M.Breedlove on the epi genetic level.
    (2)Gay men show a wide range of gender behaviors - Possibly but OP was only asking about the ones in the video; not the fapp material in your brain. (3)Trying to extrapolate gender data and conclusions from studies on sexual orientation is going way beyond the parameters - In your opinion maybe, your perhaps missing the obvious Elephant in the room which is the question is about gay men and finding a link to suspect behavior patterns so that dictates the start point. I know years of bullying has made you sensitive and hightend your persecution complex but dont deny the issue because you cant defend it. (4)Secondly, women have a plethora of gender expressions as well and all of them have so-called 'feminized brains'. Trying to extrapolate gender behavior in such situations would prove fruitless - Really?? how would you Lesbians fit that proposition??

Your a basic... Go back to your coloring book.
    nominative determinism at its best

ReputationRep:
    And your comment "bad misunderstanding" represents a double negative, but because I'm not a sissy ***** I didnt make a drama out of it.
    Yet again, you've been reported. If you cannot behave appropriately, then TSR isn't the place for you. Nor do you help your position with your constant ad hominems. Ad hominems are typically the realm of those who are incapable of having a debate at the intellectual level, so they have to resort to character attacks. Is this implicitly a sign that you're not familiar enough with the material to have an actual debate about the subject?

Secondly, it's not a double negative. "Bad" can linguistically be used to indicate something akin to amplitude. "Bad misunderstanding" can be read as a "large misunderstanding." Nitpicking syntax when you're incorrect about the syntax isn't helping your cause either.

Why do you claim hormones should effect all people equally? does it not occur to you that strength, susceptibility and exposure time are all contributing factors and that is the reason why you get varying different degrees? so all gay men wont necessarily display foppish, slack wrist, battyman behavior [this will also hold true with lesbians in the reverse respect] btw] and will not be present equally- but if it were there would be a prime indicator of the syndrome of homosexuality.
    This behavior is also observed in heterosexual individuals. Furthermore, the research in question applies to hormones affecting sexual orientation, not gender expression. Your attempt to extrapolate this is going far beyond the defintitional parameters of the experiments and such data extrapolation won't hold up. Gender isn't being studied in the relevant studies, sexual orientation is. Your methodology isn't tenable, and no social scientist would take this as a credible attempt at extrapolation.

While it is true that different hormone exposures are possible, this explanation doesn't have explanatory power. Why are these same behaviors are observed in heterosexual individuals? The hypothesis of the research also says that the more male children a woman has, the more hormone exposure is expected and so the likelihood of having a gay male son increases with each son after the first; yet, the effeminate behavior you're attempting to causally link here doesn't always occur in those more likely to be gay according to the hypothesis.

Perhaps I shouldn't insult you. Nature has already done a good job of that.
    That's odd, I don't feel like nature has insulted me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Very often if the individual has an otherwise unremarkable personality the gayness will become the sole culture that they identify with.

On a more biological level gay genes may well be useful in situations where you have an extremely fertile/promiscious/domineering sister in which case having an extra female in a masculine body might actually be evolutionary advantageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    nominative determinism at its best
    I'm glad you spotted that, it struck me as well.While were on the topic of wordy fun heres a fun anagram:
    HETEROSEXUAL = A TRUE SEX HOLE
    Quite apt considering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saftvare Jarb)
    Very often if the individual has an otherwise unremarkable personality the gayness will become the sole culture that they identify with.

On a more biological level gay genes may well be useful in situations where you have an extremely fertile/promiscious/domineering sister in which case having an extra female in a masculine body might actually be evolutionary advantageous.
    I agree with your first point but I cant agree that gay genes exist.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Hardly typos. ;giggles secretly;
    hey i gotta keep up the "i dont care" aesthetic with my writing style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyDualscar)
    hey i gotta keep up the "i dont care" aesthetic with my writing style
    I was talking about Skeptique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    because of the higher level of sensitivity/"delicateness" of gay men (e.g. they identify with more feminine ways of living their lives), the "gay voice" (I assume this is what you're talking about) is a natural result for most of them

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you spotted that, it struck me as well.While were on the topic of wordy fun heres a fun anagram:
    HETEROSEXUAL = A TRUE SEX HOLE
    Quite apt considering
    oh my

:hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    I was talking about Skeptique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah excuse me, i wasnt being serious anyway

ReputationRep:
    Many of the stuff on this thread is pseudoscience at best.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.