Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No point replying now , she got her answer , until next time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Nice one! Did you you round the awkward number you get by square rooting 84.5? It later gives a clean 1 d.p. number when you use trigonometry and the final answer I got was exactly 97.5 cm2 although yours is so close that I don't think any examiner would care.

Edit: Out of interest, what level is this? Is it GCSE, A Level, or one of the Scottish/Irish equivalents of those?
    This is a Westminster School 13+ exam paper

(Original post by User23)
    No worries, I've already been pointed in that direction. xD I was just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boojiebaba)
    Attachment 472685
    I know you've already figured it out, but here's my solution anyway
    Hey, I really like your solution.
    But, I don't get how did you do 13/2 = 6.5 and make that one of the sides of the right-angled triangle.
    I get how you did 13 cm as the side opposite the right angle is the hypotenuse and then you used pythagoras.
    But, you done 13/2 = 6.5? Can you please explain

ReputationRep:
    So it's for people over 13? This is like a tough GCSE question!

ReputationRep:
    No worries, I've already been pointed in that direction. xD I was just curious.
    is it possible if u could help me with another question please?

ReputationRep:
    Post more please !

Yeah sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure.
    thanks so much
    Attached Images

thanks so much
    So what do you think the first couple of answers are? I'll tell explain if you get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    s = 1/2 * the sum of all the sides of the triangle
    Make this into an equation s = 1/2(.....)

ReputationRep:
    So what do you think the first couple of answers are? I'll tell explain if you get it wrong.
    this is my working out
    Attached Images

this is my working out
    The second part where you're rewriting s in terms of a, b and c isn't quite right. You should be getting a formula, not an integer as an answer. I'm not sure why the triangles are there since the question is algebraic but you'd need to play around with the equation (Heron's formula) given. Think about how you can collapse all those s symbols into one (hint: factorise -- but first square both sides).

ReputationRep:
    Not the only one expecting this to be dear cavy' second bye bye speech?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    CAVY

ReputationRep:
    The second part where you're rewriting s in terms of a, b and c isn't quite right. You should be getting a formula, not an integer as an answer. I'm not sure why the triangles are there since the question is algebraic but you'd need to play around with the equation (Heron's formula) given. Think about how you can collapse all those s symbols into one (hint: factorise -- but first square both sides).
    yeah but i swear it tells u s is half the perimeter of a triangle so i found s to be 12 for the second triangle.:
    Attached Images

yeah but i swear it tells u s is half the perimeter of a triangle so i found s to be 12 for the second triangle.:
    It does tell you that but it doesn't ask you to do anything with the triangles just yet. Use the formula they've given and try to rearrange it to make s the subject. The triangles are for the next question.

Your answer should be algebraic, not a number.

ReputationRep:
    It does tell you that but it doesn't ask you to do anything with the triangles just yet. Use the formula they've given and try to rearrange it to make s the subject. The triangles are for the next question.

oh no ok ill try make s the subject, please don't laugh at my working out if it's wrong
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

S = (Area)^ / (1-a)(1-b)(1-c)
    ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no ok ill try make s the subject, please don't laugh at my working out if it's wrong
    Hmm. I may have misled you on this one. D: I'm thinking it's just s = (a + b + c)/2 as in the first question, even though that makes little sense... For the second equation, you've got that capital A as well which is more or less impossible to get rid of so I'd think it's just the simple answer from part I.

(Original post by Chittesh14)
    S = (Area)^ / (1-a)(1-b)(1-c)
    ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I'm thinking that's wrong because it includes area, which isn't in the question. I think it's just the simple s = (a + b + c)/2 from earlier although I've no idea why it's repeated. The first question does say calculate but mentions a hypothetical triangle with sides a, b and c so I don't see how you could give a different answer for that...

Is there a markscheme for this anywhere? It shouldn't really be taking this long if it's for 13-year-olds so I'm going to assume that the long way is wrong... (by the way I don't think (s - a) factorises to s(1 -a); it would factorise to s(1 - a/s), which expands back to (s - a)).

Sorry guys.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.