Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much £ per year are we talking about? the tax on 48 tampons is, say, 15p (it costs £3 with the 5% tax which means the tax is more like 14p or so but let's say 15p).

How many tampons do girls use every month on average? I can't see this costing more than £2-3 a year. Is it really worth complaining about? granted, the tax ought not to exist at all but it's really a tiny problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Because they are a luxury - we could always free flow we choose to wear them.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is an argument I once saw used. No uterus no opinion :hand:
    Tbf....I know this is an unpopular opinion but they as technically they are a luxury. My mum has told me in India in her days and definitely before her time they had to use cloth then washed and re-used...:afraid:

In poverty stricken countries women of course still have periods and I'm pretty sure they don't have the 'luxury' of sanitary items.

That being said, no I don't think they should be taxed(from a moral standpoint) but on the argument of it being a luxury, I would say yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Do you agree with the tax on female sanitary items? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. They are essential for us females for at least 30years of our lives so why should we be taxed? I'm sure most girls would agree that we'd much rather not have periods and still be fertile, but that's not our choice. Sanitary towels and tampons are already expensive, they should be lowering the price, not increase the price by making them even more expensive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10045629.html
    According to the article, someone on minimum wage has to work 38 full days to pay for a lifetime supply of tampons; hardly breaking the bank, is it?

This is a non-issue.

No uterus no opinion :hand:
    Well, that's very mature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    According to the article, someone on minimum wage has to work 38 full days to pay for a lifetime supply of tampons; hardly breaking the bank, is it?

This is a non-issue.

The article is outright retarded cos it includes the entire cost of tampons not just the 5% tax on them. And yet the complaint is about the tax the EU is imposing on them.

You can probably pay the tax of a lifetime supply of tampons by working 2-3 days on a minimum wage job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    That's ridiculous. There are a lot of things that are taxed that shouldn't be: like toothpaste.

These are essential items, and shouldn't be considered luxury.
    How are tampons considered a luxury? You can't wear a pad in the swimming pool!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It isnt a lot to pay but its not really the money thats the issue, its the principle. If you guys bled from your dicks as heavily as some women do (think fully saturating a jumbo tampon in two hours) and the item that helped you feel more comfortable and clean was classed as a luxury item I'm pretty sure you'd be upset too.

I made the move to cups recently and I will admit they are a lot more comfortable and you can also get reusable pads that would work out cheaper than buying a disposable pack, but obviously reusables aren't for everyone.

Side note; I believe crocodile meat or some other kind of exotic meat isn't classed as a luxury... Oh EU, your priorities are certainly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Tbf....I know this is an unpopular opinion but they as technically they are a luxury. My mum has told me in India in her days and definitely before her time they had to use cloth then washed and re-used...:afraid:

In poverty stricken countries women of course still have periods and I'm pretty sure they don't have the 'luxury' of sanitary items.

That being said, no I don't think they should be taxed(from a moral standpoint) but on the argument of it being a luxury, I would say yes it is.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-7897093.html
    This migh interest you .Things are changing .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurplePixie96)
    Yes. It isnt a lot to pay but its not really the money thats the issue, its the principle. If you guys bled from your dicks as heavily as some women do (think fully saturating a jumbo tampon in two hours) and the item that helped you feel more comfortable and clean was classed as a luxury item I'm pretty sure you'd be upset too.

I made the move to cups recently and I will admit they are a lot more comfortable and you can also get reusable pads that would work out cheaper than buying a disposable pack, but obviously reusables aren't for everyone.

Side note; I believe crocodile meat or some other kind of exotic meat isn't classed as a luxury... Oh EU, your priorities are certainly interesting.
    How many tampons are you using per month if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetitBourgeois)
    How many tampons are you using per month if you don't mind me asking
    Bit of a personal question and I no longer use tampons, I use a menstrual cup. But before that I was using about 5-6 tampons a day for 9 days.

ReputationRep:
    The article is outright retarded cos it includes the entire cost of tampons not just the 5% tax on them. And yet the complaint is about the tax the EU is imposing on them.

You can probably pay the tax of a lifetime supply of tampons by working 2-3 days on a minimum wage job.
    It's just ridiculous.

No, actually, I can't see myself moaning about something as trivial as this. That some idiots see it as a symbol of "the patriarchy" is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-7897093.html
    This migh interest you .Things are changing .
    That's interesting but that doesnt change my opinion, I still class it as a luxury, just like many things...such as a bed, clothes, warmth etc...

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a personal question and I no longer use tampons, I use a menstrual cup. But before that I was using about 5-6 tampons a day for 9 days.
    IF you're using, say, 20 tampons a month and IF 48 tampons cost around £3, then you can pay the EU tax for a lifetime supply of tampons by working (max) one day for a minimum wage job. If you use twice that amount, you'll have to work 2 days at a minimum wage job, etc, etc.

I agree that the tax shouldn't exist at all but people getting upset about this are not thinking straight (or I am missing something, idk)

ReputationRep:

This is a non-issue.

It doesn't matter, sanitary products are not a luxury by any means. Its offensive to say otherwise. They shouldn't be taxed at all. The contraceptive pill and condoms are free of charge on the NHS..

ReputationRep:
    It's just ridiculous.

No, actually, I can't see myself moaning about something as trivial as this. That some idiots see it as a symbol of "the patriarchy" is irrelevant.
    I agree, I fully support feminism but this is NOT a symbol of patriarchy. Partriarchy does still exist but not with this issue.

ReputationRep:
    It's just ridiculous.

Of course you can't see it, because it doesn't concern you.

ReputationRep:
    IF you're using, say, 20 tampons a month and IF 48 tampons cost around £3, then you can pay the EU tax for a lifetime supply of tampons by working (max) one day for a minimum wage job. If you use twice that amount, you'll have to work 2 days at a minimum wage job, etc, etc.

I agree that the tax shouldn't exist at all but people getting upset about this are not thinking straight (or I am missing something, idk)
    It's reasonable to be upset that we are being taxed on a bodily function that it pretty much unavoidable, you also need to consider that some women struggle to scrape together enough for one box of pads or tampons, and while a 15p change might not seem drastic to those of us lucky enough to be able to easily afford tampons or pads it could really help those less fortunate. Of course the ideal path would be them being free but obviously that's never going to happen unless you go to your school nurse and clear her out!

There's also the fact that other countries have dropped the tax, so of course women are wondering why that hasn't happened here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    It doesn't matter, sanitary products are not a luxury by any means. Its offensive to say otherwise. They shouldn't be taxed at all. The contraceptive pill and condoms are free of charge on the NHS..
    They are. So is contraception.

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting but that doesnt change my opinion, I still class it as a luxury, just like many things...such as a bed, clothes, warmth etc...
    Was never trying t change my opinion.Although you changed my view of what a luxury is.

ReputationRep:
    They are. So is contraception.
    How are they a luxury? contraception is a luxury, yet they are free of charge.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are a luxury - we could always free flow we choose to wear them.

Spoiler:
    Show
    This is an argument I once saw used. No uterus no opinion :hand:
    really? Seeing as an awful lot of men would agree that sanitary wear are not luxuries. So you really shouldnt be saying "no uterus no opinion"

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes it is stupid that they are taxed.

But so are a lot of thing. Like how are clothes a luxury?
    Clothes are both necessity and luxury. A burlap sap and some rough spun wool would qualify as clothes - yet a chenel stupid price dress fulfills the same purpose but that would be a luxery.

Tampons and Sanitary pads can be given the same arguement i suppose from a certain twisted logic - afterall ya could shove a flanel down there.......... sorry sorry, i know im naughty.

But they are a necessity and should not be taxed

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.