Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Biomedical Engineering 2016 Entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, what do you guys think of BME at KCL compared to Glasgow??

ReputationRep:
    ive applied to them both as well, and I think I prefer KCL just because I get the impression it has more links also I think Glasgow is too far away from me and you'd have to do an extra year.. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeyore_17)
    ive applied to them both as well, and I think I prefer KCL just because I get the impression it has more links also I think Glasgow is too far away from me and you'd have to do an extra year.. What do you think?
    Yeah that's the same for me, and after doing my undergrad degree I want to go into medicine so I feel like KCL might better prepare me for that but honestly, I really have no clue. I also got an offer from Lancaster for Natural Sciences, just waiting for the open day and hopefully that'll help me make a decision. Where else have you applied to??

ReputationRep:
    UCL, Cardiff and Surrey! I really don't know where to go tho :/ have you been to applicant days at any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeyore_17)
    UCL, Cardiff and Surrey! I really don't know where to go tho :/ have you been to applicant days at any?
    I've got applicants days for York and Lancaster in the next couple of months, just waiting to here from Glasgow and I've got to find out if KCL have any visit days coming up... I'm so excited ahhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioeng98)
    Hi everyone!

I'm haven't seen a thread for biomedical engineering applications yet so I am starting one.

I have applied to study biomedical engineering at Imperial College, Cambridge, Sheffield, Nottingham (mechanical specializing in biomedical third year), Southampton (mechanical specializing in biomedical third year). As you might have gathered, I'm most interested in the mechanical side of the subject.

Who else has applied/is thinking of applying/will apply to study biomedical engineering at university? Which universities? Have you received any offers?
    Hi again,

I was wondering what you knew about Southampton's BME program. I know that their EEE program is considered as good as, or even better than, Imperial's, but how does their BME compare? I know that it is pure mechanics for the first two years and that Imperial offers a wider variety of BME modules, but do you think there is a very large gap, prestige wise, between their programs?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a reply or an interview from UCL for the Beng yet?

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Imperial College Bioemedical Engineering this year and wondering what to expect. Do you go to your interview last year?

ReputationRep:
    Your interview will be fine if you can speak english and you are not too awkward around other people. You'll most likely get an offer. If you firm imperial and meet the offer, then you'll have the pleasure of getting absolutely raped for the next 4 years of your life.

A bioengineering student at imperial college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HereForBanter)
    Your interview will be fine if you can speak english and you are not too awkward around other people. You'll most likely get an offer. If you firm imperial and meet the offer, then you'll have the pleasure of getting absolutely raped for the next 4 years of your life.

A bioengineering student at imperial college.
    In hindsight do you wish you had gone to a different university? What specifically is making you unhappy with Imperial? I would very much like to hear your views as I don't want to make a poor decision and am in the fortunate position of having more than 2 offers already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy1998)
    In hindsight do you wish you had gone to a different university? What specifically is making you unhappy with Imperial? I would very much like to hear your views as I don't want to make a poor decision and am in the fortunate position of having more than 2 offers already.
    I am sorry for sounding very pessimistic, I was quite depressed and under a huge workload when I wrote this post two weeks ago. Imperial remains a great university and saying that I’m unhappy here would be a lie.

The main problem I think is that most people enjoy everything at university except the actual classes and the studying. The thing at Imperial is that studying is a lot of what you do compared to universities less high in the rankings. The workload is very big, especially in the engineering departments. If you do come to Imperial, be prepared to work a lot and spend weekends / evenings in the library.

On the other hand, the atmosphere is quite good, especially in bioengineering, and you will meet some amazing people. I feel like Imperial suits very smart people better because they actually understand what is going on in lectures, can do less work at home and have more of a social life. If you are having a very easy time in 6th form, then you should be ok at Imperial.

I don't think like I did an error coming here, but I do feel like I'm not having the social life and the fun I was expecting before coming to uni. This is mostly due to the fact that I am not one the of brightest students and I still want to succeed, so I work a lot instead of going out, doing clubs and enjoying student life.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Ive recently received an interview invite from IC for BME and im absolutely terrified. Does anyone know what the interview consists of (e.g duration, types of questions etc) and what you do in the 'group task'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy1998)
    I have an interview for Imperial College Bioemedical Engineering this year and wondering what to expect. Do you go to your interview last year?
    i hope your interview and decision went well.
    how was your interview and what was the group task like?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.