Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much was insurance on your first car? watch

ReputationRep:
    £600 in first year at 23 on a Ford Focus from 1999
    £500 second year
    £416 third year, starting next week. Can now drive other cars 3rd party too which could be useful I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Insurance is the Biggest Scam on the face of the Earth. Awesome for Investors, shareholders and Government...Tyranny for everyone else. There is 0, ZERO competition in the Insurance Market with only maybe 3 Underwriters covering the entire UK for Car Insurance. Aviva is the biggest Underwriter if I'm not mistaken. Aviva the company, now owned by Deutche Bank (I think) began long long ago, on a dark and stormy night, in a shed, in Sunderland, by a bloke who sold motorbikes.

Today, if you wanted to start your own Insurance Underwriter company, you are required by law to have 1.5million (it maybe more now) in capital AND pass some sort of fit a proper persons test before government will issue you with a licence to trade. SCAM.

Not only that, in order to calculate how much flesh they can carve from the body each year without killing the host, like parasites, insurance companies have invested all their ill gotten gains in BIG DATA capacity, not unlike the Americans, National Security Agency (NSA). Underwriters use this BIG DATA to analyse 'Risk'. It's a SCAM.

I have no doubt that the new 'Security' Measures to harvest all of our electronic communications which will be passed into Law by our benevolent leaders very soon, will be accessible by Insurance companies because Risk is Security. This in no way means premiums will fall. It does mean profits will sky rocket for Insurance companies, however, and no one can say what affect this will have on all of our liberty. Buy shares now, folks.

ReputationRep:
    Passed when i was 17, first car at 19. Suzuki Alto, 2003 reg, 1.1 litre.
    First year insurance £410, second year £380.
    All told, including cost of the car originally, MOTs and insurance, have spent no more than 2 grand on the car, it's actually pretty nice and the only problem I've had is 2 flat tyres (touch wood!).
    Would recomend it to anyone for a first car, as can get very cheap insurance (remember to do it by phone and haggle! I got £160 off by haggingly first year), and tax is only £30. Also a really small car (but still four doors), so super easy to drive.
    Obviously not the fastest car but can still reach 80 on the motorway pretty easily and has been overall very reliable for me despite having done 90,000 miles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    All told, including cost of the car originally, MOTs and insurance, have spent no more than 2 grand on the car, it's actually pretty nice and the only problem I've had is 2 flat tyres (touch wood!).
    Would recomend it to anyone for a first car, as can get very cheap insurance (remember to do it by phone and haggle! I got £160 off by haggingly first year), and tax is only £30. Also a really small car (but still four doors), so super easy to drive.
    Obviously not the fastest car but can still reach 80 on the motorway pretty easily and has been overall very reliable for me despite having done 90,000 miles.
    Mum drives the same car. I quite like it actually, it's pretty good for a first car
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by holson)
    Toyota Yaris 2001 reg. Was 17 and got it insured the day I passed. 1.1 I think (it was over 3 years ago!) £650/year insurance. Next year it was £600 and then £550 when I got my Toyota starlet 1.1l '97 reg and now £500 woo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get your first years insurance that cheap?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My first car was a W plate fiat punto 1.2L. I was 18 (nearly 19) at the time and my first years insurance was £1062 fully comp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    How did you get your first years insurance that cheap?
    put my parents as named drivers, which got it down by about £200!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    put my parents as named drivers, which got it down by about £200!
    Is that all?
    6 hundred and something pounds for a 17 year olds first years insurance is incredibly good. Most people pay a grand or 2 (or 3).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Is that all?
    6 hundred and something pounds for a 17 year olds first years insurance is incredibly good. Most people pay a grand or 2 (or 3).
    It was about average when I was 17 ahaha, all my friends' were about the same

ReputationRep:
    21, £1200 on 1999 Honda Civic 1.5

ReputationRep:
    Toyota Yaris 2001 reg. Was 17 and got it insured the day I passed. 1.1 I think (it was over 3 years ago!) £650/year insurance. Next year it was £600 and then £550 when I got my Toyota starlet 1.1l '97 reg and now £500 woo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How the ****ing **** did you get a quote so ****ing cheap at your age and why the **** can't I find one that cheap?
    ****s sake.

ReputationRep:
    £1600 age 17 for a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa.

Now pay £1000 to insure 4.2L Jaguar XKR at age 24

ReputationRep:
    Had 1.4 fiesta for 6 months as my first car at 18 and it was 1400, but then bought a 2012 Audi A3 that's 2 litre and the same company offered 800.

ReputationRep:
    How did you get your insurance so cheap? I've been looking at suzuki altos for a first car when (if) I pass my test haha. My cheapest quote has been about £1300 though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdLittleO)
    How did you get your insurance so cheap? I've been looking at suzuki altos for a first car when (if) I pass my test haha. My cheapest quote has been about £1300 though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well i didn't actually get my car until a year and a half after i passed my test, so that was probably a big factor.
    Just haggle, that's my only advice really! Good luck 👍🏻
    Also, im with endsleigh, try them. And make sure you are ringing up insurance companies and not going by their online quote as you can't haggle online.

ReputationRep:
    Well i didn't actually get my car until a year and a half after i passed my test, so that was probably a big factor.
    Just haggle, that's my only advice really! Good luck 👍🏻
    Also, im with endsleigh, try them. And make sure you are ringing up insurance companies and not going by their online quote as you can't haggle online.
    Ahh fair enough
    I'll be 25 when I pass my test so hopefully that'll help. Will try haggling!
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    17 year old at the time of insuring. 2003 1L corsa with black box fitted. £1800. It was the cheapest i could find.
    I got the car for a good price so i didnt mind spending a little more on the insurance than i would have liked but i think i got a good deal (all in all)

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Had a fiddle last night and managed to get one down from £155 to £95 p/m with tesco! just by adding my partner as a named driver (not main though).
    There's hope yet!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 9, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.