Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

M353 - Sgt. Blackman Motion watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I'd back a retrail, severely doubt that it would change the outcome looking at the evidence.
    The evidence is pretty damning, but if there was evidence not heard I do think a retrial is only fair, but likewise I think it will result in the sentence being upheld

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    The evidence is pretty damning, but if there was evidence not heard I do think a retrial is only fair, but likewise I think it will result in the sentence being upheld
    In fact this decision was upheld by the equivalent of the high court. Doing anything would undermine the legal system massively.

ReputationRep:
    In fact this decision was upheld by the equivalent of the high court. Doing anything would undermine the legal system massively.
    I was unaware of the high court ruling, considering that I'll be a firm Nay vote

ReputationRep:
    Although that I agree these terrorists are truly horrible people, I disagree with sinking to their level.
    Yet if someone does it in a poor state of mind (i.e. mental exhaustion and frustration) as a result of being in war and watching his mates getting killed and tortured by the enemy, we should at least not imprison one of our own for a moment of poor judgement. War changes people and if we aren't prepared to face the dark side, we shouldn't go to wars at all.

I'd be okay with a discharge, but nothing more.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely a retrail would be more appropriate?
    Hear hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Yet if someone does it in a poor state of mind (i.e. mental exhaustion and frustration) as a result of being in war and watching his mates getting killed and tortured by the enemy, we should at least not imprison one of our own for a moment of poor judgement. War changes people and if we aren't prepared to face the dark side, we shouldn't go to wars at all.

I'd be okay with a discharge, but nothing more.
    It's still not OK to commit a war crime. I find the fact he actually boasted about it particularly disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    I think he should have been allowed to hear the evidence about the circumstances of the time, therefore I too will back a retrial. However, he shouldn't be given a free pass purely because it's the Taliban.

ReputationRep:
    He killed someone. If he did it because he was mentally ill, he should be in a psychiatric hospital like any other mentally ill killer. It's as simple as that. I'd back a retrial if there was evidence not heard, but assuming he's guilty he certainly shouldn't be freed.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. He killed a man in cold bloody and boasted about it. That is the definition of murder. The short minimum term already reflects the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I share the same views as my colleges.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am in Two Minds about this really .

1) He a Serving Soilders and as L_p said War effects soilders in tremendous ways and no one knows what goes through their minds when out in the field. I have huge amounts of respect for all are Armed Forces home and abroad

2) He did Break the Geneva Convention

3) The Taliban insurgent was heavily Injured by a Apache Gunship attack so he was near death anyway which I know is not the point but he is still the enemy

ReputationRep:
    Nay, it is not the business of this house to be acting as jury in a murder trial, nor it is right for the house to be condoning murder.

ReputationRep:
    Surely a retrail would be more appropriate?
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I couldn't agree more.
    Seems more appropriate if the argument is whether or not it was murder or manslaughter, as it seems to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Seems more appropriate if the argument is whether or not it was murder or manslaughter, as it seems to me.
    If he was suffering mentally as a result of the war then it could go a lot further than a choice between murder and manslaughter, so in the event that UKIP do not alter the motion I would hope that some other members would join me in putting across a new motion to intervene and make sure that there is indeed a retrial, considering that there was supposedly evidence not heard.

ReputationRep:
    It is not for the House as a whole to grant pardons. Nay.

Was this discussed in the sub-forum first because I can't see it?

Anyway, it should be a retrial, i'll aye it either way though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Was this discussed in the sub-forum first because I can't see it?

Anyway, it should be a retrial, i'll aye it either way though.
    Why, it would be a serious miscarriage of justice.

(Original post by James Milibanter)
    Why, it would be a serious miscarriage of justice.
    Meh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Aye, but don't just copy and paste news articles as motions, okay? As for the case, imprisoning British soldiers for executing already dying Taliban scum is absurd. It's their job to kill the enemy and that's what they should be allowed to do.
    Just like the Gibraltar killings then? And the British Army's shoot-to-kill policy?
    A great fighter for human rights you must be.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.