Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B875 - Prohibition of Public Intoxication Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    police need to use their own judgement in determining whether someone is intoxicated to the extent that they are unable to act reasonably,
    Mild intoxication (which is what the threshold is for this proposed law), in itself, is not a problem. Unreasonable behaviour is, and requires no meter to test for it. Have a bit of sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    The limit is ridiculously low.
    I can change it for the second reading, but this bill is still not going to pass anyway, so I do not see the point in changing it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How exactly do we get home from nights out then? You are, in essence, banning intoxication pretty much everywhere bar one's own home

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To answer your question, yes, so if you do not want to get arrested, do not go over the limit.
    An entirely arbitrary limit. Not to mention you haven't included anything on how high I can be on the street, half a joint maybe?

On top of this, there's prescription medication that has as much effect on the mind and/or body as about 3 pints of alcohol, so you'd be effecting them too.

Above all though, this is an absolutely pointless piece of legislation though I do understand it's intention, however, it will not do anything, police already arrest drunk people if they're behaving unreasonably and will take people who are too drunk to get home back to the police station until they sober up. This bill penalises the reasonably behaved as you have stated, and those that are more than capable of looking after themselves. Not to mention the number of pubs and bars that you are going to put out of business, the jobs that will be lost and the number of people going to house parties instead which are a lot less safe than the average pub/bar.

This bill needs to be dropped though if you're hellbent on being a buzzkill then at least revise it slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Um, nay. I kind of get what this bill is trying to do but I think it goes too far. There are some people who relax by going into a pub and spend an evening having a few drinks with their mates. They've got a right to do that and I don't see the benefit of the government sticking its nose in and stamping on that right. Also, some people get 'intoxicated' far more easily than others. For example, I'd personally be unfit to make a serious decision way under the limit specified here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How exactly do we get home from nights out then? You are, in essence, banning intoxication pretty much everywhere bar one's own home

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The limit is barely enough to get me even slightly tipsy, it would be virtually impossible for the police to enforce it as most over the limit will be too inconspicuous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Mild intoxication (which is what the threshold is for this proposed law), in itself, is not a problem. Unreasonable behaviour is, and requires no meter to test for it. Have a bit of sense.
    This bill allows for individuals to be publicly intoxicated to a certain extent (i.e. mild intoxication), but those who are intoxicated over the limit in public may be liable to prosecution.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Um, nay. I kind of get what this bill is trying to do but I think it goes too far. There are some people who relax by going into a pub and spend an evening having a few drinks with their mates. They've got a right to do that and I don't see the benefit of the government sticking its nose in and stamping on that right. Also, some people get 'intoxicated' far more easily than others. For example, I'd personally be unfit to make a serious decision way under the limit specified here.
    This is about 3 pints of lager, even though you're quite young, you'd be a bit tipsy but not enough to call yourself actually drunk

ReputationRep:
    WOW
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This bill allows for individuals to be publicly intoxicated to a certain extent (i.e. mild intoxication), but those who are intoxicated over the limit in public may be liable to prosecution.
    Why?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    It may act as a deterrent from getting too drunk publicly. The limit is set to a level where many people may start to act unreasonably if they exceed that limit.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, no, worth wasting money on taking to court? No.

ReputationRep:
    This is about 3 pints of lager, even though you're quite young, you'd be a bit tipsy but not enough to call yourself actually drunk
    WOW
    Unfortunately, my family's Irish ancestors neglected to bequeath us their high alcohol tolerance

ReputationRep:
    It may act as a deterrent from getting to drunk. The limit is set to a level where many people may start to act unreasonably if they exceed that limit.
    4 pints isn't much to start acting unreasonable on.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, my family's Irish ancestors neglected to bequeath us their high alcohol tolerance
    Thats not a lot though. Like wow.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    4 pints isn't much to start acting unreasonable on.
    4 pints should have no real effect

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It may act as a deterrent from getting to drunk. The limit is set to a level where many people may start to act unreasonably if they exceed that limit.
    We already have procedures to stop people behaving unreasonably while intoxicated. You won't deter people from getting drunk, you'll put pubs out of business, people will just get drunk at home where they'll drink more and are more likely to misbehave and/or hurt themselves and/or someone around them. Pubs are licensed and regulated, people who are too drunk get chucked out, on busy nights there'll be police constantly nearby. You're attempting passing a law to stop people from doing something that you don't like, even if it doesn't effect you in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    4 pints should have no real effect

Posted from TSR Mobile
    exactly.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.