Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do modern British people usually drink loose leaf tea or use tea bags? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    loads of tea are in bags. all the fruit ones i drink and the 'usual' tea that british drink with the milk is in bags. the only loose leaf tea in my house is the green tea, but it's not as such a product brought in a british shop but an asian market, where green tea leaves are popped into a package ready to be used, without a tea bag.
    your mum always makes me a nice cuppa after we have finished.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    In the US, tea is a beverage that people drink as a coffee replacement if they don't like the taste of coffee. We usually buy tea bags and steep them in coffee mugs for about five minutes, and occasionally add sugar, milk, or even coffee creamer to sweeten it.
    Good lord... you.... you... savages! :shock:

I feel weak.

ReputationRep:
    Well I personally have odd tea habits - I put a green tea bag and a normal PG bag together in a cup (we call it a cup, but it's just a mug), pour hot water in, take the normal tea bag out after about 3 minutes and then put a tablespoon of honey in it whilst keeping the green tea bag inside XD

We usually bring out the fancy teacups when guests are over, but even then there's no traditional teapot and scones - we serve them tea with a plate of chocolate digestives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Tea bags. Nobody has time be titting about with loose leaf. To blend in you need a Sports Direct mug as well.Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot of people suspected that some British people must have started using tea bags for convenience by now, but what's really going to shock people here is that British people actually drink tea out of ceramic coffee mugs like we do. Everyone thought you guys used the little cups and saucers even for coffee.

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Good lord... you.... you... savages! :shock:

I feel weak.
    This is actually the response I was expecting.

What part got to you the most? The mugs instead of cups, the use of tea bags, the use of coffee creamer in tea, or the steeping time being too long/short? Surely the use of milk or sugar isn't surprising. Unless you're freaked out that it's just ordinary granulated cane sugar rather than those little sugar cubes?

Oh, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that last part. You're probably going to faint now.

ReputationRep:
    Granulated sugar and milk is normal here. Although i have heard that americans put hot milk in it, and it should really be cold milk. Tea cups would only be in a posh cafe. A restaurant may serve sugar cubes but most people dont have them in their homes. I dont know what coffee creamer is but its not normal, and 5 minutes is WAY too long! I would say 2 minutes tops.

Of course people do like tea a lot here, but its not the sacred ritual that you imagine it to be. Its just a very popular, very ordinary drink that many people drink multiple times a day.

ReputationRep:
    I have a glass teapot with an infuser, lots of different loose teas and a box of sugar cubes, and I also have a set of proper tea cups and saucers I inherited from my grandmother, which I use a couple of times a week or when people come over. Most of the time though I make tea with PG tips tea bags in a mug.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen loose tea leaves before! I think most people make tea with tea bags and nothing fancy. Maybe the posh people or older people make tea with loose leaves but not anyone that I know of.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This is actually the response I was expecting.

What part got to you the most? The mugs instead of cups, the use of tea bags, the use of coffee creamer in tea, or the steeping time being too long/short? Surely the use of milk or sugar isn't surprising. Unless you're freaked out that it's just ordinary granulated cane sugar rather than those little sugar cubes?

Oh, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that last part. You're probably going to faint now.
    I think I've recovered enough to respond.

Every British person knows this is the correct way of making a cup of tea: mug, tea bag, brew for two minutes or so, splash of cold milk (whole milk, not that skimmed nonsense, NEVER COFFEE MATE YOU MADMAN) and about 15 teaspoons of sugar :tea:Perfect.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    I use loose leaf but would happily accept a tea bag made cup of tea from someone As long as it's black with no sugar

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people suspected that some British people must have started using tea bags for convenience by now, but what's really going to shock people here is that British people actually drink tea out of ceramic coffee mugs like we do. Everyone thought you guys used the little cups and saucers even for coffee.
    Yep. It's not like the movies set in the 1800s haha. The vast majority of people (i.e. everyone) in the UK use tea bags, and we drink tea out of mugs. The only time you'd use a teacup and saucer is at a formal event or a wedding or something. We are more normal than you think!

I use teabags, with some sugar and milk.

Cba with loose leaf, I don't even know anyone that has it that way

ReputationRep:
    Stew for 5 minutes plus coffee creamer? Can you even get that down your throat without gagging?

I usually use tea bags (almost always in a teapot because I like more than 1 cup at a time). But I do use loose leaf for jasmine tea - it just tastes so much better. Probably makes me a hipster

ReputationRep:
    Well given that the largest tea brand in US is Twinings did you connect the dots that it is an English company, we have been using tea bags for 50+ years. I don't know anyone who uses a saucer for everyday use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by the bear)
    your mum always makes me a nice cuppa after we have finished.
    finished what? FINISH YOUR sentence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    finished what? FINISH YOUR sentence
    hey how did it go at the doctor's ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by the bear)
    hey how did it go at the doctor's ?
    aww it's noice that you ask but i feel more tired now because the wait was tedious
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    How are you meant to drink enough tea if you use the little tea cups?

You need to use the large mugs to stop you needing to go get another cup every half hour.

When I was growing up at home, all ever ever had was large mugs and tea bags.

Now I'm married, we do own a full tea set, with small cups, saucers, a teapot, milk jug and sugar bowl. But never use it. It's just ornamental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    For the majority of the population I'd say this is somewhere between unusual and alien.

Like most English social habits it's a bit of a class thing. I'm sure it's not a rarity in rural bits of the home counties, for example, but in, say, Liverpool or East London I would say it is.
    I'm from east London and I have proper tea with a teapot and some form of pastry/scone most days. We have loose tea very occasionally, more so when we have visitors. My mum desperately wants to be English lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    I'm from east London and I have proper tea with a teapot and some form of pastry/scone most days. We have loose tea very occasionally, more so when we have visitors. My mum desperately wants to be English lol.
    Yeah I did say rare rather than non-existent. It was also probably a bad example because, as has been pointed out, I'm sure there's a lot of loose tea leaves in Shoreditch. Liverpool was probably the better example because as far as I know (I've been there once, for about five hours) it's predominantly working class.

That makes sense. The only people I know in the US that would try to serve tea in any manner similar to that are usually old-fashioned women on the East Coast that attended a ladies finishing school or something. Apparently they're not just emulating the British in general, they're emulating the upper classes.
    I'd say it's certainly more common amongst the upper/upper middle classes (this is obviously hopelessly vague but I can't help it), but obviously not exclusive, and it's only one factor. Age is ofc another. I think the 'rural' point I made probably stands independently of class, too (although it's probably quite hard to separate the two points completely).

I wonder if there's any polling data specifically on how people across social, economic, and geographical boundaries in the UK drink their tea. If there isn't there should be.

Personally we have a bunch of tea kit but it mostly stays in the cupboard. I think that's probably quite common. Sometimes i'll buy myself some nice leaf tea and just make myself a big pot to keep me company for a bit if I'm at my desk all day, but even then I won't get a proper cup and saucer out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice_bio)
    Granulated sugar and milk is normal here. Although i have heard that americans put hot milk in it, and it should really be cold milk.
    Well, I would expect cold milk with tea. I've only heard of people putting hot milk into espresso, not tea. Maybe that's why some people do that?
    Tea cups would only be in a posh cafe. A restaurant may serve sugar cubes but most people dont have them in their homes. I dont know what coffee creamer is but its not normal, and 5 minutes is WAY too long! I would say 2 minutes tops.
    Oh, I was actually joking about the sugar cubes because of PTM's response.

Coffee creamer is a powdered, non-dairy alternative to milk. Sometimes people use it instead of milk for various reasons. If you're using milk, you wouldn't use this.

Well, 5 minutes is for certain brands. If I end up using Bigelow or some other brands, sometimes the tea is really weak and I can barely taste it, so I have to steep it for twice as long as normal. But if I have Twining's, the time on the packaging of 2 or 3 minutes is usually sufficient.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.