Turn on thread page Beta

Actually, who are we? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    The body we are wearing today is not the same body we were wearing five years ago.
    We are now wearing a completely recycled body. In effect, we have each changed bodies. Every rhythmic element of matter—every vibrating atom—is different.
    This might well be compared to a waterfall. The water within a waterfall is always changing. From moment to moment, the waterfall will be made up of different water. Therefore, the waterfall we see today is not the same waterfall we saw yesterday.
    Since each of us is the same person from moment to moment and year to year within an ever-changing body, logically we each have an identity separate from this temporary vehicle. We cannot be the body, since the body has been replaced while we are still here. If we look at our photograph taken five years ago, we will be looking at a completely different body from the one we are wearing today. The very eyes looking at the eyes in the picture are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you asking if we age, well yes we do. As an animal we are a contained creature, you can't rip my heart out and say I am an animal, I am then just a piece of flesh. You could redesign a waterfall though, in fact waterfalls are continually changing due to natural processes.
    We are not the same person, although we may be the same conglomeration of molecules, we have experiences and we change. We die, physically we die, but our atoms don't die they are just recycled. It is a good job too, without this recycling could you imagine how much life would exist now!

I suppose you are digging for some rationale for being, as if it is a real question. Evolution, conservation of energy, entropy should answer your question. If however you need some way to live forever, I cannot help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    guinea pigs
    Who owns these guinea pigs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    They didnt lie, you just dont understand what they are saying.

The first article points out one of the reasons our neurons generally dont regenerate. Our brains rely on a network of connections. The pattern of that network is our memories. If you start replacing neurons, you mess up the pattern.

The second article just points out that parts of some neurons change.
    Parts of some neurons change. That means the changed neurons are still the same as the old ones?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i am a wit machine made out of meat
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Who owns these guinea pigs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :iiam:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am a wit machine made out of meat
    i thought you were a bear :eek:. omg bear have you been lying? :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Absolutely no one
    no soul, no anything

i'm a biological entity that is built with a psyche that is capable of performing the functions of consciousness and thought

my thoughts think, because the very act of thinking is done by thoughts, but thinking alongside consciousness, give the illusion that there is a 'you' and that this 'you' is observing the thoughts, but that's just consciousness

When someone loses consciousness, there's absolute blank, and that's because that's all there is
    Do you remember what it was like before you were born?
    That's what it's going to be like when you're dead too
    so enjoy your life because it's a strange experience, but it's all we've got
    So Psyche built you. What or who built Psyche then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    We may not be the same body. We may not be the same mind. We may not be the same conscious. Despite this though. It is our identity. Change is our identity.
    Change is our identity? What about those leaders? It seems to me they never change. They always want to stay ahead... to be the number one. They really want to rule the world...never get bored of killing people. Anything wrong with their neurons or chemicals?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i thought you were a bear :eek:. omg bear have you been lying? :unimpressed:
    i am a wit machine made out of bear™ meat.

i hope that is sufficient elucidation Ms Furry

:borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH127)
    A human is a brain that's surrounded by a unique body that eventually dies off. The network of electrical/chemical messages that is our consciousness is what we are, in my opinion. I don't believe in anything as silly as a soul, instead opting for this more reasonable explanation. As a disclaimer, I am by no means an expert on Neuroscience, but this is my basic understanding of what goes on in the brain and nervous system in general.
    We are the network of chemical or electrical messages? So like computer, we are just stupid machine? Great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am a wit machine made out of bear™ meat.

i hope that is sufficient elucidation Ms Furry

:borat:
    oh right, lol sorry didn't read that i do apologise my friend
    :bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:

ReputationRep:
    oh right, lol sorry didn't read that i do apologise my friend
    :bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:
    :hugs:

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Have you had of Aristotles' concept of hylomorphism? Or, more accurately, the more nuanced form thought of by Aquinas? That's the stance I hold; I feel it's the most likely thing to match up with modern neuroscience.

I know this forum is predominately atheistic / naturalistic, but I think it's more sensible than people might initially realise.
    I'm just a novice,dude. I think I 'm a dualist & a spiritist. But I like science as well. What about you? Are you a materialist or idealist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    It might be more correct to say a "person" is a part of a brain, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Interesting, I had never heard of the concept, though have had heard of similar concepts. If I understand it correctly, it's the idea that the "soul" is more of a property or description of a living thing, rather than something a living thing has.
    You mean personality is a part of a brain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurasaur)
    I am only ever myself in the present.
    "Present-me" is the only "me" that exists, "past-me" is a memory, and "future-me" is an idea. All of my sense of identity comes from my brain.
    I'm happy enough with that
    You mean... you never existed in the past? It doesn't make any sense. Have you ever taken a selfie? It's not you in the pic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    we are a soul, and we have a body

ReputationRep:
    Parts of some neurons change. That means the changed neurons are still the same as the old ones?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Parts of the neurons will remain the same, other parts will have changed.

We are the network of chemical or electrical messages? So like computer, we are just stupid machine? Great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Essentialy, yes we are. Though i wouldnt say stupid.

You mean personality is a part of a brain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personality certainly is. But i was referring to the self, the thing that experiences, the soul, whatever you want to call it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take the approach of semantic externalism here and say to you that the meaning of the word "me" comes from its usage. The word "me" was learned as a denotation of yourself, constantly changing thing that you are. Thus, to say that you are not certain what "me" is is essentially a paradox since you must possess the concept of your own being in order to raise the question - you are doubting the existence of the very thing that you require in order to doubt anything at all.

The only way to avoid this is to narrow the targeting of your question to the nature of "me" as a denotable thing, not whether or not "me" is a denotable thing. I notice that your line of enquiry is more focused on the nature of being, but I just wanted to clear that up.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. I don't think I'd be entirely off mark if I said that the brain is the most complex thing in the known universe. So no, not stupid. To be honest, with the amount of questions you're asking, I'm leaning towards the idea of you being a troll.

ReputationRep:
    So Psyche built you. What or who built Psyche then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's asking a different question, it's more about who created us than who are we

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.