Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Born in 95? So you're 19/20? lol if you're having a problem at uni, your age has nothing to do with it. It's something else
    Exactly! I wouldn't be worried if I were 20. And I'm definitely going and was just looking for reassurance, not to be told not to go cos my time is over 😆 Might as well give up on life now, then! 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Born in 95? So you're 19/20? lol if you're having a problem at uni, your age has nothing to do with it. It's something else
    Yeah i know what it is.

I'm an introvert and people are allergic to introverts

Also because i'm doing a foundation year which ****ing ruins the uni experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percyns)
    So no one made it out to be weird and you didn't encounter any problems?
    Also, did you find it difficult to relate to people four years younger or was it just like talking to someone your own age? (Don't mean to sound patronising!)
    only problem I've had with my age is being put in a flat with other mature students who never come out their rooms and socialize. TBH even if I was 18 could have been put in a flat with people like that so it's just pot luck. I have a friend who is 24 and he gets on fine with the 18 year olds too.

ReputationRep:
    well .. after your degree .. you'll be working for the next 30 years of your life ....regarding your social life at uni. It might be a bit challenging because most of the freshers are 18/19 years old who are desperate to drink and go out which can be annoying if you're in your 20's ... however .. there are many calm people as well .. you just have to choose the ones you feel comfortable with. I'm 21 and I've made younger friends who are very mature and nice, so you've got a variety of people to choose.

ReputationRep:
    22 is really not that old! At m first uni (long story dropped out) I was 18 with a house mainly of mature students one over 40!, I made better friends with some of them than some people of my own age on campus!

Many, many people do not go straight from A-levels and 19 and 20 is pretty common. At 22 you will still fit in fairly well (it can go one of two ways, either the age gap will not be an issue at all or you will be close enough in age to get on with 18 year olds but maybe seen as the 'big brother' of the group?) Anyway, it is uniVERSITY which by definition means a range of people!

I 'blew it ' socially at uni and at 35 have fantasies of returning and reliving my youth (a 6 ball lotto win permitting.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percyns)
    Hello,
    Next September, for a variety of reasons, I'll be starting uni at 22. I'm excited to start and work towards earning my degree and starting my career, the only aspect that is making me a bit nervous is the fact that, as most people start uni at 18, there will be a four year age difference. Now, I know this has been posted numerous times, but most of the responses say that people study in their 40s, 80s etc., but I already know this. The big worry for me is the social aspect. Obviously at 80', you wouldn't be looking for the "typical" uni experience, but at 22, I do and I don't want to be left out and not fit in and be considered too old to hang out with them. Sounds silly, but I'll be moving a long way from home and don't wanna be lonely.
    Thanks
    I'm 23, I'll be 24 in the October after I start (If I get an offer) next September, I'm not worried at all to be honest, accommodation will help with meeting people. I'm moving about 3 hours away from where I live now (If I get in ) But I have alot of friends younger than me who I don't even notice the age gap (Youngest is about 19 but there will be loads of people starting a bit late)

The only thing I'm worried about is having to put up 18yo know-it-all's

I am making sure I don't go to halls though (Mostly first years) and try and get into a share house with some 3rd years or some people who don't seem like they will be throwing up in the corner of my room at 4am (pls god no)

Where are you applying?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.