Turn on thread page Beta

Mum's Anger after daughter is cast as overweight girl in the school play watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Why has the prick brigade descended on this thread? It's an cruel as well as incredibly unprofessional decision on the part of the school, and definitely raises issues about how other schools might be handling situations like this.
    Proud to be a member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Proud to be a member.
    Phoebe get back on the coach babe you know you get violent when you've drunk too much and two of the cold boxes are already empty.

ReputationRep:
    It is like she has been preparing for this role for her entire life, a true method actor.

ReputationRep:
    If this had happened in my family there might be a little upset/dissapointment but it most likely would have been laughed off. Something worse happened to me at school but there wasnt a big article about it lol.

The thing is weight is just a feature that can be changed I dont think its an insult to describe someone as chubby unless its intended to offend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistyblue~)
    If this had happened in my family there might be a little upset/dissapointment but it most likely would have been laughed off. Something worse happened to me at school but there wasnt a big article about it lol.

The thing is weight is just a feature that can be changed I dont think its an insult to describe someone as chubby unless its intended to offend.
    She is more than chubby. She is the poster girl for child obesity.

ReputationRep:
    I understand fully the pain she went through- or rather the 'pain' she is going through, When I was in Year 8, in my prep school, they cast me as ''Leading Dwarf''.. The six other dwarfs (and no, it wasn't Snow White) were all in Year 4. I felt very embarrassed to say the least, and as if the school had taken advantage of my size. I, too, have been bullied for most of my life about my height, but I never sent it to the national news! I understand that she may be offended and her mum may be embarrassed and this and that, but at the end of the day, they're putting on a production. You're not going to cast the skinniest person alive to play an overweight person.

Ever since the end of that production, I have realised that, through taking GCSE Drama, theatre is an art, and if you can't cope with being told different things or being put outside your comfort zone or taking offense, then theatre is not for you.

Everyone needs to stop getting so offended over tiny things in society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    She is more than chubby. She is the poster girl for child obesity.
    I think she should lose a **** load of weight and then show up on the day of the play ready to play the part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistyblue~)
    I think she should lose a **** load of weight and then show up on the day of the play ready to play the part.
    That would take effort and commitment. It might even stop the bullying but the thing only she puts effort into is eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    I understand fully the pain she went through- or rather the 'pain' she is going through, When I was in Year 8, in my prep school, they cast me as ''Leading Dwarf''.. The six other dwarfs (and no, it wasn't Snow White) were all in Year 4. I felt very embarrassed to say the least, and as if the school had taken advantage of my size. I, too, have been bullied for most of my life about my height, but I never sent it to the national news! I understand that she may be offended and her mum may be embarrassed and this and that, but at the end of the day, they're putting on a production. You're not going to cast the skinniest person alive to play an overweight person.

Ever since the end of that production, I have realised that, through taking GCSE Drama, theatre is an art, and if you can't cope with being told different things or being put outside your comfort zone or taking offense, then theatre is not for you.

Everyone needs to stop getting so offended over tiny things in society!
    She is 12 years old with learning difficulties and she is playing a fat boy. It isn't tiny when people are taking the piss out of her.

There is no need for her to play the part.

They can get a skinny person to play it. The point of the role isn't that the person is fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    She is 12 years old with learning difficulties and she is playing a fat boy. It isn't tiny when people are taking the piss out of her.

There is no need for her to play the part.

They can get a skinny person to play it. The point of the role isn't that the person is fat.

Your point makes valid sense, but at the end of the day, it's just a production. Yes, they could easily have cast someone else. But if they'd cast someone else who gets offended, that exact same excuse could be created. It's a paradox.
    People take the piss out of people all the time, but we do all need to just get over problems and think positively.

ReputationRep:
    Almost completely unrelated, but in my primary school we did a play based on The Snow Queen. Out of all the white kids in the class (which was like 27/30) they picked me, one of the only brown kids, to be the narrating snowflake. I was dressed in all white and they even painted my face white lmfao. That was a pretty funny sight after I saw the photos my parents took.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Slightly unrelated, but in my primary school we did a play based on The Snow Queen. Out of all the white kids in the class (which was like 27/30) they picked me, one of the only brown kids, to be the narrating snowflake. I was dressed in all white and they even painted my face white lmfao. That was a pretty funny sight after I saw the photos my parents took.
    The only relation between the two examples are that both involve a school play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    The only relation between the two examples are that both involve a school play.
    Fixed it, is that better?

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to my friend who was cast as Mrs Bumble in our year 6 production of Oliver Twist, and an overweight guy was cast as Mr Bumble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Fixed it, is that better?
    No. Just delete it. It is a blight on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    so insensitive

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this will be a wake up call for her mother who is to blame for her child being overweight unless she has an illness that means her weight is uncontrollable, I know this is not nice but if her parents had made sure their child had properly balanced healthy diet and lifestyle then maybe this poor kid would not be humiliated and upset. I feel sorry for her that her parents have not bothered to do something about this sooner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasperlEE)
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/overweight...7.html#sefC2ku

What are your views on this?
    kid is 13 and obese......yeah, she's not gonna make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Why? It's a major role...
    till the fat arse drowns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Why has the prick brigade descended on this thread? It's an cruel as well as incredibly unprofessional decision on the part of the school, and definitely raises issues about how other schools might be handling situations like this.
    no

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.