Turn on thread page Beta

A level Biology or A level Chemistry? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Chemistry- AS chemistry is a walk in the park. It's basically just slightly harder GCSE chemistry + some mechanisms. A2 chemistry on the other hand.... SO TOUGH. I'm two months into the A2 chemistry course and I'm pretty much used to leaving lessons not having the slightest clue as to what they were going on about, it's that bad. This is coming from somebody who's always found chemistry ridiculously easy- my username on here is bloody thechemistress for pete's sake XD
    So yeah, chemistry is tough. If you're not going to enjoy it, don't do it
    I agree! I didn't struggle with AS Chemistry that much BUT A2 Chemistry is a killer. I don't understand anything I learnt in my lessons.
    BTW like your avatar- one of the rarest elements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleeshaaa)
    Honestly, having done both I think Biology is the better option, and it compliments psychology better. You also will not lose any opportunities with not having chemistry as it is useless without biology and maths.
    Yeah that makes sense....thanks

ReputationRep:
    Having thought about it, I think I'm going to opt for Biology seeing as I wouldn't want to be stuck studying a subject for 2 years if my heart wasn't in it and also, I think that English literature, Biology and Psychology wouldn't be too bad of a combo... I could look into careers in medical journalism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    if someone wanted to study Biology at university...Biology would be the better A level choice :P
    False! I'm pretty certain that most biology degrees ask for chemistry, and biology's only suggested

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry an extremely difficult A Level. I struggled most with it, and that was because I didn't enjoy much. So If I were you, I'd take biology, if you enjoy it more as your more likely to get a higher grade. But its completely up to you. Just know, all A Levels require extra work outside the classroom, and for me chemistry required the most - so if you don't particularly enjoy it, you won't be happy about the amount of work required. Also, if you do decide to take chemistry it is better to take it along with another science. However the same can be said about biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    False! I'm pretty certain that most biology degrees ask for chemistry, and biology's only suggested
    Are you sure you're not thinking of medicine? I do Biology and it was definitely compulsory to do Biology and chemistry was suggested. That was the same for all the courses I applied for.

Sometimes they will say "AAB in two science subjects" but I've never found anywhere that has asked for chemistry but not biology. It's kinda hard to do a biology degree without A level biology. Even if they don't ask for it they are going to be seriously questioning your choice if you chose Biology at uni without at least a Biology related A level. It's quite obvious why...if you don't do Biology at A level you're kinda screwed for the degree because the degree has to assume prior knowledge, they can't reteach the whole A level as nearly everyone will have done it already.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're not thinking of medicine? I do Biology and it was definitely compulsory to do Biology and chemistry was suggested. That was the same for all the courses I applied for.

Sometimes they will say "AAB in two science subjects" but I've never found anywhere that has asked for chemistry but not biology. It's kinda hard to do a biology degree without A level biology. Even if they don't ask for it they are going to be seriously questioning your choice if you chose Biology at uni without at least a Biology related A level. It's quite obvious why...if you don't do Biology at A level you're kinda screwed for the degree because the degree has to assume prior knowledge, they can't reteach the whole A level as nearly everyone will have done it already.
    I do understand what you mean, and i don't disagree, but when i researched it i thought i saw them looking for chemistry definitely, maybe i was looking at the wrong courses/universities lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I do understand what you mean, and i don't disagree, but when i researched it i thought i saw them looking for chemistry definitely, maybe i was looking at the wrong courses/universities lol
    I've not been able to find any university that requires chemistry but not biology when applying for a biology degree (which frankly makes sense). Can you link any that require chemistry but not biology?

ReputationRep:
    I've not been able to find any university that requires chemistry but not biology when applying for a biology degree (which frankly makes sense). Can you link any that require chemistry but not biology?
    Hm. Looking through UCAS,i haven't found any, perhaps the courses i were looking at last year were biochemical sciences? If so, i am really sorry, i genuinely thought i was right!

ReputationRep:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeT4yhGqqQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, if you are not prepared to climb a mountain of revision and memorising facts. Don't take biology. Chemistry I have found overall (with OCR anyway) more interesting and easier to revise for. If you are decent at maths (pH logs is probably the hardest bit) and are prepared to do lots of questions. Take chemistry. As biology is reasonably interesting but however at A2, there are three topics on Ecology. In one part you have to learn how to use a sampling Quadrat.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.