Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

American Student Applying to Scottish Universities watch

(Original post by sjohnson98)
    Oh man that's a fraction of what it costs to apply to just one school! I think the average application fee for schools in the US is $75 now.
    So you'd be losing nothing if you applied to five. Yeah, you don't have to pay universities individually -- it's all centralised.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It really is cheaper! I'll still have debt, but more than one hundred thousand dollars less, so... We can't get government aid if we go overseas, but there are still lots of private organizations. College is so expensive for us that lots of non-profits/philanthropists offer money.
    Yes you can. You're allowed to use Federal Aid outside of the United States.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes you can. You're allowed to use Federal Aid outside of the United States.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's loans though, not grants. The federal government gives better terms than banks do, but it's not quite the same.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's loans though, not grants. The federal government gives better terms than banks do, but it's not quite the same.
    True, but it makes more sense to borrow through the government than through a bank or private organisation. I'd also look out for any university-specific grants or scholarships available to you.

I'm not sure if you were considering them, but UCL has a large array of grants/scholarships that are eligible to overseas students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    True, but it makes more sense to borrow through the government than through a bank or private organisation. I'd also look out for any university-specific grants or scholarships available to you.

I'm not sure if you were considering them, but UCL has a large array of grants/scholarships that are eligible to overseas students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm from NYC so I'm trying to move somewhere smaller, but I'll check it out!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm from NYC so I'm trying to move somewhere smaller, but I'll check it out!
    Ahh, London wouldn't be the best place for that then hahaha.

You should definitely look into Durham and Exeter if you want somewhere a bit more 'low-key'.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, London wouldn't be the best place for that then hahaha.

You should definitely look into Durham and Exeter if you want somewhere a bit more 'low-key'.
    I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!

I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!
    You could even go for Oxford with your stats, if you wanted. I haven't looked into it but all their subject-specific YouTube videos have a bit in them where they say how they have the most generous no-strings-attached financial aid package of any UK university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You could even go for Oxford with your stats, if you wanted. I haven't looked into it but all their subject-specific YouTube videos have a bit in them where they say how they have the most generous no-strings-attached financial aid package of any UK university.
    I missed the deadline for Oxford! I didn't realize how early it was. They also cost more than most other schools.

I missed the deadline for Oxford! I didn't realize how early it was. They also cost more than most other schools.
    Ah, okay. Yeah, it's kind of early... You might be right about the cost of Oxford for internationals! For us nationals it costs the same for tuition at most universities (although Oxford is the second most expensive place to live -- London being the first).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Ah, okay. Yeah, it's kind of early... You might be right about the cost of Oxford for internationals! For us nationals it costs the same for tuition at most universities (although Oxford is the second most expensive place to live -- London being the first).
    *ahem* I believe Aberdeen is actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *ahem* I believe Aberdeen is actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess I'm not applying to Aberdeen, then! Do you have recommendations for schools? I'm looking at Warwick and Sussex. Then again, I think four schools is enough. That gives me a total of 12.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I guess I'm not applying to Aberdeen, then! Do you have recommendations for schools? I'm looking at Warwick and Sussex. Then again, I think four schools is enough. That gives me a total of 12.
    It's manageable don't worry haha. I live in Aberdeen atm, so interact with quite a few uni goers. There's a surprising number of Americans at the uni here, but it's generally a very diverse community.

Warwick is awesome, I've got an offer from them. Definitely a top 5 uni for employer interest.

Umm, Nottingham is very nice - I was going to go there last year but missed my offer. If you want a solid nightlife along with a gorgeous campus it's a uni I would wholeheartedly recommend.

Other good choices are: Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, York

ReputationRep:
    It's manageable don't worry haha. I live in Aberdeen atm, so interact with quite a few uni goers. There's a surprising number of Americans at the uni here, but it's generally a very diverse community.

Warwick is awesome, I've got an offer from them. Definitely a top 5 uni for employer interest.

Umm, Nottingham is very nice - I was going to go there last year but missed my offer. If you want a solid nightlife along with a gorgeous campus it's a uni I would wholeheartedly recommend.

Other good choices are: Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, York
    Awesome, thanks! It's sorta stupid but I want to make sure I can understand people's accents. I've been watching lots of British TV so I'll be used to it by the time I finally manage to cross the ocean.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks! It's sorta stupid but I want to make sure I can understand people's accents. I've been watching lots of British TV so I'll be used to it by the time I finally manage to cross the ocean.
    I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly! To be fair, most university students have very understandable accents.

Do note, however, that for the thickest of accents, e.g. Glaswegian, even the British can't understand them! This is an excellent scene on this point from one of my favourite films, Hot Fuzz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly! To be fair, most university students have very understandable accents.

Do note, however, that for the thickest of accents, e.g. Glaswegian, even the British can't understand them! This is an excellent scene on this point from one of my favourite films, Hot Fuzz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw
    At least I'm on the same page as Simon Pegg. Never a bad place to be.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.