Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B877 - Legal Tender Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I imagine that the data would be sent to tell them that it's in euros. And even if banks didn't keep 2 currencies in one account the bank's wouldn't be able to justify those 20% sir-charges.
    in most places yes, see below for the benefit. I see thsi as all teh benefits of teh euro and none of the negatives.

The point of the legal obligation is to improve trade and even confusion between the uk and the rest of the EU. Unless you know the current exchange rate constantly you can never know if you are being ripped off.
    That's still the case here, in fact unless business change prices constantly you'd get a better deal in a different currency on a day-to-day basis which is madness.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    The point of the legal obligation is to improve trade and even confusion between the uk and the rest of the EU. Unless you know the current exchange rate constantly you can never know if you are being ripped off.
    All this would do is increase confusion in the UK.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    All this would do is increase confusion in the UK.
    It wouldn't.
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    That's still the case here, in fact unless business change prices constantly you'd get a better deal in a different currency on a day-to-day basis which is madness.
    Is it though? The differences woudl be marginal either way and I think it could help teh less well off.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    It wouldn't.

Is it though? The differences woudl be marginal either way and I think it could help teh less well off.
    How wouldn't it? Having two prices for everything, and no one knowing which is cheaper due to the exchange rate fluctuations... I'd call that confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I imagine that the data would be sent to tell them that it's in euros. And even if banks didn't keep 2 currencies in one account the bank's wouldn't be able to justify those 20% sir-charges.
    in most places yes, see below for the benefit. I see thsi as all teh benefits of teh euro and none of the negatives.

The bank has no idea what currency your money is in. The only reason you get the surcharges is because you're from the UK and you're in Spain and the bank sees an opportunity to make money by making you think it has to convert your money from one to the other.

I utterly fail to see how the bag of Co-op value carrots that I bought yesterday not being, say, 69p in addition to being 49p in any way hindered trade or even confusion between the UK and the rest of the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm spotting a trend in the PMBs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    The bank has no idea what currency your money is in. The only reason you get the surcharges is because you're from the UK and you're in Spain and the bank sees an opportunity to make money by making you think it has to convert your money from one to the other.
    Not even sure where the apparent 20% charge comes from... Barclays charge 2.99% for using debit card abroad...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm spotting a trend in the PMBs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We could make a portfolio of this style of PMB... There were some from last term, and it ended up damaging the reputation of the Greens in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It wouldn't.

It's not the less well-off who have the time to manage exchange rates or have stacks of Euros ready to go.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How wouldn't it? Having two prices for everything, and no one knowing which is cheaper due to the exchange rate fluctuations... I'd call that confusion.
    I'd call that deciding what currency to use each day before I shop.

I utterly fail to see how the bag of Co-op value carrots that I bought yesterday not being, say, 69p in addition to being 49p in any way hindered trade or even confusion between the UK and the rest of the EU.
    Imagine I'm a poor Slovak in the uk and don't know about the pound. I could normally pay €0.30 in my home town for carrots and then seeing them for £0.49 I don't understand the relationship, but if I can see €0.69 I think to myself 'I'm being ripped off' and that mean I understand the value of money better.

ReputationRep:
    Not even sure where the apparent 20% charge comes from... Barclays charge 2.99% for using debit card abroad...
    Last time I went abroad HSBC didn't charge anything at all :dontknow:

We could make a portfolio of this style of PMB... There were some from last term, and it ended up damaging the reputation of the Greens in all honesty.
    Who's up for making a compilation of crazy PMBs, proceeds going to the Commons bar's refurbishment fund?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    Good for you, and what about everyone else... We shouldn't change government just because one Compussionate MP decides he wants things in pounds and euros.
    Imagine I'm a poor Slovak in the uk and don't know about the pound. I could normally pay €0.30 in my home town for carrots and then seeing them for £0.49 I don't understand the relationship, but if I can see €0.69 I think to myself 'I'm being ripped off' and that mean I understand the value of money better.
    It's what happens when you go abroad. If you're moving to the UK from the EU, it's generally what happens to at least learn the basic customs of the country you're moving to.

Also, you going to reply to my first post on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Poor Slovaks are a tiny minority in this country, and poor Slovaks who are not intelligent enough to have worked out what is cheap and what isn't after around a month are an even tinier one.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Last time I went abroad HSBC didn't charge anything at all :dontknow:
    Sounds like a figure plucked out of thin air, with the sole purpose of trying desperately to back up the (lack of) need of dual currency.

Who's up for making a compilation of crazy PMBs, proceeds going to the Commons bar's refurbishment fund?
    If you do that, you can then get free drinks too!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Inb4 Aph claims that this Bill is actually all a joke, and he just wrote it to try and stimulate debate in the House...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Good for you, and what about everyone else... We shouldn't change government just because one Compussionate MP decides he wants things in pounds and euros.

It's what happens when you go abroad. If you're moving to the UK from the EU, it's generally what happens to at least learn the basic customs of the country you're moving to.

Also, you going to reply to my first post on this?
    i actually belive that the benifit woudl be to government the most.

First point?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    i actually belive that the benifit woudl be to government the most.

First point?
    Are you unable to go back a page and have a look or something?...

Lesson here: Don't go to your bank to change currency. Take out money in the UK from an exchange, NOT the bank/at airport, and you'll get much better rates. If you have to withdraw foreign cash whilst abroad, you're doing something wrong, because I've never been charged 20% of what I withdraw.

In any case, the costs and implications of having dual currency is ridiculous. Are you just going for another Bill which has only one Aye...? It actually took me a minute to work out whether this was a joke Bill or not. In any case, I can see why it was a PMB.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Poor Slovaks are a tiny minority in this country, and poor Slovaks who are not intelligent enough to have worked out what is cheap and what isn't after around a month are an even tinier one.
    It was an example as you know. You don't need to take it literally.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    It was an example as you know. You don't need to take it literally.
    An example which is flawed... the point of giving an example is to show us why it'd be good to have dual currency, so you kind of have to take it literally... How about you give a literal example of why this would be useful for the UK...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Are you unable to go back a page and have a look or something?...
    I agree and that is the current advice, it's not something I've has to deal with but I know a lot of people get caught out.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.