Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's all about their character and their personality...
    people don't identify by their religion, they known by their character
    I am Muslim myself and heard wrong things about Muslims.... they called me a terrorist and I completely ignored it coz I know myself who I am... n I am proud to b a Muslim and tell my friends that I am Muslim rather than hide coz if I hide it then they won't know that Muslims are bad; they are just a normal human being like u all r
    and later their opinion towards Islam changed coz of my character and they think that all Muslims aren't the same
    even i judge people by their character

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMoralStruggle)
    I honestly think northern england is far more barbaric than Saudi or Pakistan. Have you seen some of the sluts with their kids in Rochdale? Just an endless cycle of eat, ****, drink, take drugs and repeat the cycle. Even the good parts of England are highly dysfunctional; mothers here, fathers there, step this and that, black fathers, parents that aren't even married, geriatric mothers, teen mothers - all in all, a total shambles. I dont see any Asians that live that way, they follow fairly conventional solid routines and if the kids or the mothers acts up they are given a ****ing good *****ing. None of these silly hangups about private schools among Asians either btw; all that seems to be gora boy nonsense. If we just allowed muslims to just take over the northern mill towns we'd be doing the area a huge favour, perhaps a few months of violent physical action (a sort of moral radiotherapy if you will) but after that would be long term stability fo sho. But definitely none of this gayboy nonsense about condoms or counselling, just straightforward physical threats.
    is ur reply against or for???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shirogirl)
    I was born into a Muslim family but Islam is currently making me unhappy.

I've tried over the years to embrace it but honestly I struggle. In short, I love my Muslim friends, dislike Muslim society and find the political side of Islam unaccepting of anything other than itself, constantly tempestuous and perfect for those who want power.

I equate "Muslim" with "Arabic Satellite". You have to pray towards Saudi 5 times a day, say Arabic phrases, greet people Arabic style, wear Arabic clothing and have nothing but Arab-based beliefs. There is little emphasis on respect to the country and culture you are currently in. All of these point to an underlying political motive in Islam, because although racism is unallowed, it seems you cannot get to heaven without behaving Arab style. This seems unfair to me.

I further feel like Islam isn't good for women. It gives some rights to women, I agree. It also claims men and women are fundamentally different which I agree too. However a woman cannot marry unless her father agrees, a woman cannot work unless there is family consent, and it is not compulsory for women to be educated either (although modern Muslims do push for this). This is the ideal environment for a backward society. I've also noticed that amongst my male friends, the Muslim men seem most condescending towards females. It's as if females are constantly in need of help (we're not) or are some victims - yet ironically we should be grateful for this treatment as we are treated like "flowers" and "diamonds".

But I must emphasise, my Muslim friends are lovely and I'm sure there are more out there. Even though Islam isn't working out well for me, I hope others can find peace in it
    I can most defiantly understand where you're coming from, especially about the whole men and woman thing. But there are rules for a reason and these rules are her to really be broken. Personally I don't understand or even agree with some of the rules we have to follow but i guess it is what it is, however the part about arabic lifestyle i do not agree whats so ever! Living an 'Arabic lifestyle' is defiantly a choice. i think you should have worded it differently. No-one has to do any of that stuff, they just choose to. You can be a muslim and live a complete english, asian, american, spanish.. Ect life style is doesn't matter. There are millions of muslims out there and not all of them follow the arabic based beliefs or wear arabic clothing like i said its just a choice.

ReputationRep:
    I was born into a Muslim family but Islam is currently making me unhappy.

I've tried over the years to embrace it but honestly I struggle. In short, I love my Muslim friends, dislike Muslim society and find the political side of Islam unaccepting of anything other than itself, constantly tempestuous and perfect for those who want power.

I equate "Muslim" with "Arabic Satellite". You have to pray towards Saudi 5 times a day, say Arabic phrases, greet people Arabic style, wear Arabic clothing and have nothing but Arab-based beliefs. There is little emphasis on respect to the country and culture you are currently in. All of these point to an underlying political motive in Islam, because although racism is unallowed, it seems you cannot get to heaven without behaving Arab style. This seems unfair to me.

I further feel like Islam isn't good for women. It gives some rights to women, I agree. It also claims men and women are fundamentally different which I agree too. However a woman cannot marry unless her father agrees, a woman cannot work unless there is family consent, and it is not compulsory for women to be educated either (although modern Muslims do push for this). This is the ideal environment for a backward society. I've also noticed that amongst my male friends, the Muslim men seem most condescending towards females. It's as if females are constantly in need of help (we're not) or are some victims - yet ironically we should be grateful for this treatment as we are treated like "flowers" and "diamonds".

But I must emphasise, my Muslim friends are lovely and I'm sure there are more out there. Even though Islam isn't working out well for me, I hope others can find peace in it
    many parents follow the cultural but not the religion.....
    u should only follow what Quran says and even if someone is telling u that Quran says that u should ask them for an evidence, who knows that someone else told them and thy telling u the same thing and that why Islam is being misunderstood completely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Winston Churchill said it more perfectly than I could have. I respect them as warriors and as human beings, but I think their religion holds them back socially, morally, and technologically. Not that individual Muslims are bad people, but I don't like the influence of the Islamic faith on the world from a big picture perspective.
    That guy was racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    is ur reply against or for???
    Im definitely pro Sharia Law for this country, its a really good opportunity.

Theres certainly a lot of guff in the media about Islam and sorting through which is genuine and which is MI5 propaganda is pretty tricky. Certain elements are trying to demonise Islam/english nationalists though and create civil war to impose their NWO agenda. But like I said pure Sharia Law would deffo lift the average chav out of his pit of instant gratification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssdizzy12)
    Living an 'Arabic lifestyle' is defiantly a choice. i think you should have worded it differently. No-one has to do any of that stuff, they just choose to. You can be a muslim and live a complete english, asian, american, spanish.. Ect life style is doesn't matter. There are millions of muslims out there and not all of them follow the arabic based beliefs or wear arabic clothing like i said its just a choice.
    I'm glad you understand part of what I am saying.
    As regards to Arabic lifestyle, I have close friends who do not follow it to, I agree that there are people!
    But a few questions:
    - Why pray towards Saudi?
    - Why say "Assalamu Alaikum" instead of "Peace onto you"?
    - Why are the prayers in Arabic? The Adhaan in Arabic? Our messengers Arab? Our compulsory pilgrimage to an Arab country? Follow an Arab calender?
    - Why is a piece of cloth on our head (Arab style) a milestone of modesty? But loose clothing isn't enough?
    - Why is it that as a religious group there is general hatred against the Jews? A lot of random issues seem to be "because the jews want unrest". This is an age-old Arab problem which I have seen applied even in Malaysia

Things like the above make me feel personally that it's an arab-centric religion that is trying to branch out. I believe God loves people of all races and the Arab element isn't necessary. But it cannot be removed without someone claiming it's "Bid'ah".
    I can see that some people do not think so, but this is my experience unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMoralStruggle)
    Im definitely pro Sharia Law for this country, its a really good opportunity.

Theres certainly a lot of guff in the media about Islam and sorting through which is genuine and which is MI5 propaganda is pretty tricky. Certain elements are trying to demonise Islam/english nationalists though and create civil war to impose their NWO agenda. But like I said pure Sharia Law would deffo lift the average chav out of his pit of instant gratification.
    i dunno... u going more in depth

ReputationRep:
    many parents follow the cultural but not the religion.....
    u should only follow what Quran says and even if someone is telling u that Quran says that u should ask them for an evidence, who knows that someone else told them and thy telling u the same thing and that why Islam is being misunderstood completely
    I agree that we follow the Quran. But this is the same book which bans healthy loving relationships outside of marriage but allows sex slaves. Things like this are shaking and definitely unfair (especially for women)! How long must we play the "it's just culture" card?

ReputationRep:
    I'm am critical of Islam as a religion as I believe it advocates views that are sexist, homophobic and etc and is very damaging to society.

However, I have no problems with the majority of Muslims as individuals. At the end of the day, most of them are just your average people who have a family, work a boring 9-5 job and enjoy watching crap on the TV.

I DESPISE the media portrayal of Islam. Frankly, it is extremely racist and promotes hatred. If a Muslim kills someone, it is automatically branded as terrorism. If it's anyone else, it's just murder. And if it's a white person, it's usually blamed on 'they were drove to it because of depression'. No. Just stop.

I hate seeing Islam painted as this horrific religion when Christianity is likewise responsible for millions of deaths and some pretty horrendous crap over the centuries.

In fact, people in general have been ****ing awful, not just some Muslims and some Christians.

It 'aint just religion that causes issues. Governments have a hell of a lot to answer for.

ReputationRep:
    Hun, I agree that we follow the Quran. But this is the same book which bans healthy loving relationships outside of marriage but allows sex slaves. Things like this are shaking and definitely unfair (especially for women)! How long must we play the "it's just culture" card?
    where it says in Quran???
    I don't play "cultural card" I just follow the religion to balance my life and live a normal life

ReputationRep:
    where it says in Quran???
    I believe this is probably a very explanatory link on the topic: http://islamqa.info/en/10382

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what other people really think about Islam? How do you think the media portrays Islam? What about individual muslims? What do you think about racism, discrimination? All the wars, the immigration, the starving and the dead? Who do you really think did 9/11 and all the other killings and boomings?
    (P.S I DON'T WANT TO START A WAR ON HERE!!) Just want to know your honest thoughts and opinion guys
    Its disgusting how Islam is portrayed in the media. Every religion has extremists and those who twist the religion to justify their actions. A religion doesn't define a person, neither does race. What defines a person is their actions; how they treat other people, animals, the world. An act of one person who is using Islam as an excuse for such vile behaviour shouldn't define the whole religion. That person should be judged as an individual and anyone who follows that religion shouldn't be branded as a 'terrorist' etc bc of the acts of an individual. This is for all religions not just islam but I do feel as though muslims have it really bad when it comes to prejudice and discrimination.

Sorry for the rant, deep thinking at 2am haha

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what other people really think about Islam? How do you think the media portrays Islam? What about individual muslims? What do you think about racism, discrimination? All the wars, the immigration, the starving and the dead? Who do you really think did 9/11 and all the other killings and boomings?
    (P.S I DON'T WANT TO START A WAR ON HERE!!) Just want to know your honest thoughts and opinion guys
    1) People don't want it. Look across Europe. The UK has lurched to the right, France is seeing the National Front get huge numbers of votes, Germany has seen Merkel lose political support from the population and political parties
    2) The media report on the problems that Islam has caused. Rotheram (the church and MP's & other powerful people have also been criticised, the media criticises all it can).
    Actually just see this post to see why the media have (justifiably) criticised Islam-post 83;
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post60274385

The problems are there, they are real, and the attempt to force political correctness on people despite the dangers faced in Europe has only made people more critical. As you would expect-in the West people value their freedom of speech. Je Suis Charlie and all.

3) Individual Muslims have not reported terror suspects to the police enough. It is a recurring theme-absolute silence on any issue the UK faces. Problem with lack of integration? Silence. Problem with a hatred of the West despite living there? Silence.
    Yet when an issue arises that the Muslim community wants to make its voice heard (e.g the Israel Palestine issue) Baroness Warsi makes her voice heard and the protests in London were huge.
    That is why some like Sajid Javid of the Conservatives are more respectable-they are happy to speak about the issues regarding lack of integration, security, etc. He is Muslim but he is not in a state of denial.
    4) Racism and discrimination-in my view there is no issue here. The UK is a very tolerant country-any group facing widespread discrimination is actually deserving of it. Yes, some groups will always discriminate against Muslims and others whether they deserve it or not (BNP, EDL, etc) but they are complete jokes anyway.
    5) Who did 9/11? The other killings and bombings? Buddhists. Those Buddhists did. Such a violent lot. Look at the Dalai Lama-terrifying man. (Not).
    6) Anyone who denies the facts regarding 9/11 is clearly looking to annoy people. Masterful trolling-but so far no one has bitten and said anything horrible.
    This represents my point about "discrimination". Denying that an extremist German group attacked innocent Jews is illegal in many European countries;
    Denying that an extremist Muslim group attacked innocent civillians is perfectly acceptable. As is the burning of poppies, no arrests there, but burn a Koran and hell is raised.

Muslims don't face discrimination, they are given preferential treatment. This point is further explained in my linked post-specifically talking about some groups having to adapt and others not having to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    I hate the way the left have a strange love and bond with Islam
    Corbyn says that Islamic terrorists and IRA terrorists are our friends, and his Shadow Chancellor loves them even more.

The left are gone in the country thank god.

ReputationRep:
    Just as wrong as all the other religions.

Unfortunately, still followed quite strictly in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Islam is not a race so you can not be racist to an Islamic individual on the basis of their religion
    This. A set of beliefs you choose to adopt is something you can be judged for. If I saw a White person now and just decided I hated them that is racist. If I saw a white person and was fine with them until I found out they held views which damaged my society that is perfectly reasonable.

Some groups are just in a state of permanent offence. Don't listen to them. If people are offended by criticism it is because the criticism is justified, and they just can't deal with it, so try and shut down the truth by silencing people. Their feelings are more important than the truth-in their world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    I'm am critical of Islam as a religion as I believe it advocates views that are sexist, homophobic and etc and is very damaging to society.

However, I have no problems with the majority of Muslims as individuals. At the end of the day, most of them are just your average people who have a family, work a boring 9-5 job and enjoy watching crap on the TV.

I DESPISE the media portrayal of Islam. Frankly, it is extremely racist and promotes hatred. If a Muslim kills someone, it is automatically branded as terrorism. If it's anyone else, it's just murder. And if it's a white person, it's usually blamed on 'they were drove to it because of depression'.No. Just stop.

Yeah, Brevik and co are given such sympathy from society and the media. Not. It may suit people to say this, but it isn't true. The far right are viewed as terror groups as well.

I hate seeing Islam painted as this horrific religion when Christianity is likewise responsible for millions of deaths and some pretty horrendous crap over the centuries.
    The key point here is that we live in the modern world now. In a civilsied world. If you see a culture that hasn't advanced that is trying to drag you back to the dark ages you will be quite angry. The days of the bible being taken as true word for word as gone; there is no reason why other religions can't wake up and stop this stupidity. We are civilised now.
    I mean millions of years ago we were monkeys, we mated with monkeys. If you see a person now mating with a monkey you don't say "oh, well people did it before so I guess you have to tolerate it now".

In fact, people in general have been ****ing awful, not just some Muslims and some Christians.

It 'aint just religion that causes issues. Governments have a hell of a lot to answer for.
    The British public resent Blair. They want him up for war crimes. They protested in their millions against the Iraq war. Governments have a lot to answer for, but the public always seems to back down and let the same old same old continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    This. A set of beliefs you choose to adopt is something you can be judged for. If I saw a White person now and just decided I hated them that is racist. If I saw a white person and was fine with them until I found out they held views which damaged my society that is perfectly reasonable.

Some groups are just in a state of permanent offence. Don't listen to them. If people are offended by criticism it is because the criticism is justified, and they just can't deal with it, so try and shut down the truth by silencing people. Their feelings are more important than the truth-in their world.
    Exactly, it would be racist for me to criticize a Muslim if he or she was brown for example but it is not racist for me to oppose a section of their ideology- a good example being the treatment of the LGBT community and women. I still don't get why women should cover themselves up yet a man can walk around half naked if he wanted to. Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you understand part of what I am saying.
    As regards to Arabic lifestyle, I have close friends who do not follow it to, I agree that there are people!
    But a few questions:
    - Why pray towards Saudi?
    - Why say "Assalamu Alaikum" instead of "Peace onto you"?
    - Why are the prayers in Arabic? The Adhaan in Arabic? Our messengers Arab? Our compulsory pilgrimage to an Arab country? Follow an Arab calender?
    All of that made me think of the way Catholicism used to be, actually. They used to hold the services in Latin, and say prayers in Latin, etc. And did you know that the Gregorian Calendar was created by Pope Gregory? They even had something called the Holy Roman Empire. Yes, they were that blatant about it. They maintained control over European kingdoms for years by threatening to excommunicate the kings. There was this whole idea that kings ruled by divine right, and that the Pope was God's representative on Earth. It was basically a religious copy of the political structure and values of the Roman Empire.

So, Islam isn't the only religion to be like that, but it does show that there's a deep connection between religion and politics for some reason. There shouldn't be, but there is.
    - Why is it that as a religious group there is general hatred against the Jews? A lot of random issues seem to be "because the jews want unrest". This is an age-old Arab problem which I have seen applied even in Malaysia
    For what it's worth, there was a lot of anti-Jewish sentiment in Europe in the past. They were always blamed for financial problems and accused of being greedy, because one of the few occupations they were allowed to have involved being moneylenders... at the time, Christianity didn't allow people to be moneylenders. I can't remember why, but it wasn't done until later. Jewish people dominated the banking industry as a result, and were resented for their wealth.
    Things like the above make me feel personally that it's an arab-centric religion that is trying to branch out. I believe God loves people of all races and the Arab element isn't necessary. But it cannot be removed without someone claiming it's "Bid'ah".
    I can see that some people do not think so, but this is my experience unfortunately
    I think that Islam might potentially be reformed. After all, most Christians managed to change their values over time in spite of the Bible remaining the same. But Islam as it stands is as much a political vessel for Arab culture as Catholicism was a vessel for Roman culture.

If Islam follows the course of Christianity, you'll start to see Qurans translated from Arabic to various common languages, and prayers in local languages, etc. Clothing might slowly give way to local styles. You could keep the prohibition on eating pork and drinking alcohol.

My issue with Islam is the religion as it exists today. What scares me about it isn't how it's so different and alien, but how it's exactly the same as the faith that kept Europe in constant turmoil for hundreds of years before we finally figured out how to get along well enough to keep religion out of government and stop killing each other over it. It seems like Islam is determined to put religion back into government and bring back all the turmoil we worked so hard to end.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.