Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by miser)
    I believe there's a significant possibility that the human race will create a major catastrophe for itself sometime in our lifetimes, so I suppose I ought to feel a little scared by that prospect, but the truth is I don't think about it very much because it's out of my control.
    Have you by any chance read Global Catastrophic Risks (Bostrom & Circovic)?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Have you by any chance read Global Catastrophic Risks (Bostrom & Circovic)?
    I haven't, but Nick Bostrom is a favourite intellectual of mine.

ReputationRep:
    You can't change the future, beyond doing the most sensible things you can, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the things that haven't happened yet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by miser)
    I haven't, but Nick Bostrom is a favourite intellectual of mine.
    It's a very good book. I think Bostrom gave a lecture in Oxford recently but unfortunately I didn't have time to go

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's pretty bad for most!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I live for the future. Literally always planning career routes, networking, gaining experience, getting involved outside of school - everything. I love setting goals that I want to achieve; I feel my ambition is what drives me the most to do all of this stuff.

(When I say I've planned my career, with various back up plans, woah nelly I have - my plan is like a miniature book)

So no, I'm not scared of the future, I can't wait for it to get here already!

The present is great, but the future (along with all its potential and uncertainty) is even greater.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It's a very good book. I think Bostrom gave a lecture in Oxford recently but unfortunately I didn't have time to go
    I think I'd like to read it. I've seen a few of his online lectures - I think all his work on existential risk is tremendously interesting, and it really ought to be given a wider platform of discussion given its relevance to humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    I'm a final year student and am incredibly scared about the future: the competitiveness of the job market, soaring rents, an obscene amount of student debt, lack of "contacts". It seems so difficult if you don't have the bank of mum and dad to fall back on, with statistics recently published suggesting that young people are worse off than ever. I was just wondering if others felt the same.
    Wait until you leave the education bubble and see how crap the real world is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    I'm a final year student and am incredibly scared about the future: the competitiveness of the job market, soaring rents, an obscene amount of student debt, lack of "contacts". It seems so difficult if you don't have the bank of mum and dad to fall back on, with statistics recently published suggesting that young people are worse off than ever. I was just wondering if others felt the same.
    Wait until you leave the education bubble and see how crap the real world is.
    Everything is just so competitive even if you want to be a street cleaner you apparently need NVQs these days it madness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Wait until you leave the education bubble and see how crap the real world is.
    Everything is just so competitive even if you want to be a street cleaner you apparently need NVQs these days it madness
    I'm fully aware how crap the real world is, which is precisely why I made the thread. I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its ****. We were born in the wrong era.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you asked the question in more general terms. In terms of an individual perspective, yes. I worry about whether I will progress in my degree and even when I finish it I have to worry about jobs. In a worldwide perspective, yes also. The unrest around the world never seems to go away and it has been increasing. The enigma that you get when you don't know exactly how serious the world's problems will become in a few decades time especially when we run out of Crude Oil, Coal and Natural Gas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Yeah its ****. We were born in the wrong era.
    Compared to when? Those that went to war?

Bill Clinton said he would give up everything just to be 20 again just so he can see how the future works out.

In some respects this era is going to be tougher for jobs but it will probably be the most interesting 50 years on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    Compared to when? Those that went to war?
    Not compared to anything. It's just ****.

Bill Clinton said he would give up everything just to be 20 again just so he can see how the future works out.
    Cool. Old people do have a tendency to wish they could be 20 again.

In some respects this era is going to be tougher for jobs but it will probably be the most interesting 50 years on the planet.
    I don't see how.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm mainly thinking of scientific terms. For example first man on mars or finding life on another planet. The evolution of AI or the advancements made on understanding the brain.

I realise that's all a bit geeky but its fascinating stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    Bare in mind it is a 14k debt, vs 2.5k actual cash positive.... 2.5k cash leaves you 16.5k better off than redoing a year.
    Or I'll be one of those missing young men living it up in 'beeza' or 'shagaluff' making my millions, sticking two fingers up to the debt like these guys:
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/o...ity.johncarvel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Plus I'm going into an industry where there will always be jobs.
    What industry are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into the healthcare sector and I am excited for the future but at this point in my life, I've made so many good friends and I'm about to lose them all as we all go our separate ways
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I do not fear the future - I fear the present

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by miser)
    I believe there's a significant possibility that the human race will create a major catastrophe for itself sometime in our lifetimes, so I suppose I ought to feel a little scared by that prospect, but the truth is I don't think about it very much because it's out of my control.
    ^these are the things that I fear the most.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In all honesty, the future is invariably scary, because whilst many of us can be glad of our security for now, it is not guaranteed for the future. The prospect of global super-viruses, failures and breakdowns in personal relationships and our own deaths (to name a few popular fears) is inherently scary. It's hard not to fear it. I just try and live for the day.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.