ReputationRep:
    i own three dogs im king of the park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    i own three dogs im king of the park
    Strong username to post negative correlation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    It's fine IMO if people want to let their dogs go crazy in the house so long as they don't have small kids.

But some are so entitled when it comes to strangers, they get offended if you try to avoid their out of control animals :rolleyes: yes because people want to risk getting bitten

There should be regulations on who can own a dog
    Letting dogs go crazy at home, although fun, opens doors to effects such as the dog becoming the dominant member of the "pack" and exerting certain behaviours that would create difficulty/frustration for owners. But again, it isn't something that people bother analysing. If i bought a dog, i'd do anything to ensure that the dog was trained etc. You don't even have to pay for these things. There are tons of videos on youtube that guide dog owners with pulling on a leash, etc.

How would you regulate who can own a dog?
    I think there should, perhaps, be systems in place where cannot simply buy a dog and that be it. They should take measures (eg training) for the safety/comfort of the dog, owners and the community generally. Its not just about other people, but it's also about understanding your dog and their welfare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    Letting dogs go crazy at home, although fun, opens doors to effects such as the dog becoming the dominant member of the "pack" and exerting certain behaviours that would create difficulty/frustration for owners. But again, it isn't something that people bother analysing. If i bought a dog, i'd do anything to ensure that the dog was trained etc. You don't even have to pay for these things. There are tons of videos on youtube that guide dog owners with pulling on a leash, etc.

How would you regulate who can own a dog?
    I think there should, perhaps, be systems in place where cannot simply buy a dog and that be it. They should take measures (eg training) for the safety/comfort of the dog, owners and the community generally. Its not just about other people, but it's also about understanding your dog and their welfare.
    Oh right, good point. Yeah, there's so much good advice out there on it.

I'd have stricter regulations on some dog breeds (those that cause the most attacks), especially if there are small kids in the house. Plus make sure everyone knows the basics like not to spoil your dog or how to prevent it from getting fleas etc.

It would probably be massively expensive I guess, but in some areas actually be worth it. My cousin is a police officer and lives in Bootle in Liverpool (one of the dodgiest places in the UK), I actually hate having to go to visit her because if you walk around the area you always see people with their Rottweilers etc. running loose on the pavement. Apparently there are a couple of attacks every week there

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of folks out there unfit to have a dog at all, let alone relatively boisterous breeds as per my thread on having had to intervene in a similar-ish situ

(Original post by eoe)
    This is why everyone should get pugs
    Haha

Spoiler:
    Show
    No :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Strong username to post negative correlation
    My dogs fetch kitties for me so I can devour them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    There are plenty of folks out there unfit to have a dog at all, let alone relatively boisterous breeds as per my thread on having had to intervene in a similar-ish situ

Haha
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No :lolwut:
    Are such breeds common/often let off the lead in London parks? :lolwut:

I like jogging around parks (never the woods here though), and am moving there soon. I ****ing hate it when owners let them run loose and chase people though. It's not entirely the dog's fault some breeds can just be more aggressive

ReputationRep:
    Are such breeds common/often let off the lead in London parks? :lolwut:
    You'd hope not, but I've only been to a handful of parks in London over the years, and usually in relatively safe/affluent areas, so I couldn't tell you really. You do get some parks where dog walkers take packs of dogs, which can make you a bit wary (particularly if you are walking a dog yourself, especially if that dog happens to be easily spooked/defensive)

I am moving there soon
    Which part?

I ****ing hate it when owners let them run loose and chase people though. It's not entirely the dog's fault some breeds can just be more aggressive
    Indeed so, plus often a function of the way they've been treated/trained. You can bet your ass that the true owner of the dog noted in my thread was some uneducated 'alpha' douchebro :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I just went shopping and some middle aged lady was dragging along a terrier on a lead that was legit snapping at the ankles of some poor howling toddler the mother was trying to get out of the way. I was about to jump in because I was standing close by, I wouldn't want a dog bite but it was obviously out of control and the kid looked traumatised

The mother looked horrified but the dog's owner started having a go at her for reacting so strongly and moving her child :lolwut: I coughed loudly and glared at her and then she shut up lol.

There are also people with dogs like Rottweilers etc. who let them run loose around our local woods. I'm used to that breed of dog but I have again seen them chasing small children or the odd jogger, meanwhile the owners are making excuses or strolling along casually calling out the dog's name :rolleyes:

No disrespect to the majority of dog owners but some are as bad as the entitled parents of screaming children in restaurants. I actually like dogs but sometimes bad owners make life hell for others.

a quick google search. Perhaps when you see this happening report it and hopefully they won't be around for much longer.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/report-a-dog

ReputationRep:
    Forget the ****ty owners, most dogs are dumb and annoying too. If your dog isn't sufficiently close to a wolf or fox (like a Husky, German Shepard, Akita etc...) then your dog is probably quite stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    You'd hope not, but I've only been to a handful of parks in London over the years, and usually in relatively safe/affluent areas, so I couldn't tell you really. You do get some parks where dog walkers take packs of dogs, which can make you a bit wary (particularly if you are walking a dog yourself, especially if that dog happens to be easily spooked/defensive)

Which part?

Indeed so, plus often a function of the way they've been treated/trained. You can bet your ass that the true owner of the dog noted in my thread was some uneducated 'alpha' douchebro :rolleyes:
    Which parks if you don't mind me asking?

Not decided yet but probably a relatively "safe" area like Fulham or the Isle of Dogs (lol). I run really far distances though so basically any park in Central haha

That's true. Although you don't have to be some chav running a dog fighting business to bring up bad dogs - people who spoil them or won't discipline them (like the middle class ***** I saw this morning) can be just as bad. Same as with kids really :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    a quick google search. Perhaps when you see this happening report it and hopefully they won't be around for much longer.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/report-a-dog
    PRSOM, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Even worse if you have an out of control dog on a farm. A local farmer had a greylag goose a few years ago that had been brought in to the RSPCA as a gosling, and it spent all its time around the farmyard with the farm geese. Someone came through the farmyard (public bridleway runs alongside the farmhouse) with a dog off the lead, and it attacked and killed it.

Another time, something similar happened, but with some chickens. One of them was killed, some others had feathers missing. The owner then just walked off the farm with the dog as if nothing had happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Even worse if you have an out of control dog on a farm. A local farmer had a greylag goose a few years ago that had been brought in to the RSPCA as a gosling, and it spent all its time around the farmyard with the farm geese. Someone came through the farmyard (public bridleway runs alongside the farmhouse) with a dog off the lead, and it attacked and killed it.

Another time, something similar happened, but with some chickens. One of them was killed, some others had feathers missing. The owner then just walked off the farm with the dog as if nothing had happened.
    Wouldn't the owner be legally responsible in both cases? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waghwan My Don)
    There was this little chihuahua dog barking at me, the little **** thought he owned the place. I was about to pick it up and kick it like a rugby ball, half way across the street. If the owner hadn't intervened.

The little rat had this smug look on his face as his owner carried it away.
    Please take my rep

ReputationRep:
    Which parks if you don't mind me asking?
    Primarily leafy suburban North London (Highgate/Muswell Hill), South West London (Richmond/Kingston), and West London (Fulham/Putney/Earlsfield)

Isle of Dogs (lol)
    Haha, comedy gold :mmm:

I run really far distances though so basically any park in Central haha
    Never seen a dog bother a jogger before, but you never know eh. You will end up running round in circles in Fulham's parks - most people run along the riverside (although naturally it's better for your joints to run on earth/grass vs. tarmac/concrete)

you don't have to be some chav running a dog fighting business to bring up bad dogs
    Indeed not

people who spoil them or won't discipline them (like the middle class ***** I saw this morning) can be just as bad
    I dunno, not gonna lie - when I see instances of truly dangerous dogs the handlers are invariably from the lower echelons of society. Course toffs aren't much better with their hunting fetishes, and many a 'middle class' muppet appears to have a penchant for large vehicles/pets that they can't properly control these days :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't the owner be legally responsible in both cases? :eek:
    Not sure exactly. I do know, however, that farmers are "allowed" to shoot dogs worrying/attacking their livestock. Every year, particularly around lambing season, there are stories in all sorts of local papers about various local farmers who have had to shoot a dog and then they go to the newspaper to tell people to keep their dogs on leads around farm livestock. It's mentioned in the countryside code as well.

That wasn't an option with my examples though, because of safety issues in the farmyard and because the attack was over before he could do anything. He also doesn't like to shoot dogs, and the last time he did it was well over 10 years ago with poachers dogs attacking and killing sheep (as opposed to a pet out of control).

ReputationRep:
    God, I've found a kindred spirit. Thought I was the only one. Dogs really have such reverential tretment, it never occurs to them that other people are pissed off by them, or that some types attack.

ReputationRep:
    This ALWAYS happens to me.

There's a park with a wide path that I cycle through. It has 2 distinct lanes, one for pedestrians and one for cyclists. Every single time I go through there, there's always a dog walker that lets their dog across in front of me. Sometimes they're on the wrong side of the path altogether, or take up both sides if in a group. No respect of consideration for others.

Of course I'm careful and slow down / stop when these things happen. But it's the same thing everyone - the owner just chuckling, or calling out their dog's name as if that's going to make any difference. Most of them don't apologise, or even ACKNOWLEDGE you're there trying to get past. Ridiculous.

Lucky for them I'm actually considerate. If I acted anywhere near as carelessly, obliviously and irresponsibly as they do, I would have run over and hurt if not killed a few dogs a month by now. They won't be chuckling then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.