Turn on thread page Beta

I have NO IDEA what I want in life. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's nice! Atleast you're all sorted with your goals

What are your plans for your gap year?

Lol me with all my questions...I'm just very lost atm.
    awh no problem haha it's normal to feel lost - hey i'm not even 110% sure myself i mean making this decision at 17/18 what we want to spend the rest of our time here on Earth doing is not an easy decision! but don't worry there are many other ways for example people may have dropped out and failed their GCSEs worked in McDonalds got married had kids etc then at 30 decided they wanted to be doctors and they did it! you have a lifetime to decide so don't rush yourself! it'll be okay and it will work out so don't fret!

I haven't planned out my gap year yet but i think i'll do some travelling, do some work experience abroad... I really want to volunteer at VidCon so i might do that, get a job and actually earn money... loooaddddsss of things i wanna do but i havent sorted them out yet haha! i wanna do cool things! big things! big projects

i'll probably end up just working as that person that stands in the middle of the zebra crossing and helps little kids cross but oh well haha

ReputationRep:
    A bug or something. It happens quite a lot on TSR

Since your here, what's your plan for life?

I need inspiration!
    Im really not sure if im honest. Maybe a career path involving mental health, maybe a career in education..im still trying to figure out where i belong.

ReputationRep:
    I want a successful and respectable career, something I can look on and admire all the hard work it took to get there.This makes me think something along the lines of gaining a Phd, perhaps in History or English. Because I LOVE learning.

I have thought about a Law degree of a conversion course but that doesn't interest me really.

I want to travel a bit, learn some languages, live a good life, but I also want to come home to a career I'm proud of.

I have no idea what I want to study at university yet, I feel like if I do go and do History or English I am setting myself up for failure because other that the dreams of becoming a professor, there isn't much else I feel I could do with those degree's that gives me a that sense of respect for my career choice.

But I also understand no one really goes into university like "I'm going to become a professor" it's really not likely is it?

This is really getting me down!
    Please don't feel I'm talking down to you here, but it's important to remember that a degree does not guarantee a job. However, it can be a great learning experience depending on what you make of it.

I left uni over a year and a half ago, did an animation degree. I started Uni without a clue what exact role I'd want to do and left uni feeling the same way. However, I also researched and found out what roles were applicable to what I was studying: character designer, animator, storyboard artist etc.

My ambitions completely however when I was at a birthday do and I became mates with someone who is a freelance comic book artist. I'd never considered doing that before but I saw his work, asked about his job and it sounded like a lot of hard work especially since it's freelance and not a guaranteed pay check every month (then again, how many jobs are nowadays?) yet something inside hit me and said "That's what I'd love to do!"

Okay, doing comic and doing animation are very different mediums but in my degree I was using Photoshop and Illustrator and learnt tons about using those programmes through my fellow classmates. Now I'm working freelance occasionally alongside my main job and I love it. At first I thought I had wasted my degree because I didn't get a job in animation but I've used the skills I've learnt from it to pursue what now makes me happy!

I guess my points in this extended rant are:
    If you do a degree and want to stick with it, choose something you have a strong interest in and do the best you can it. Even if you don't get a career related to your chosen study, at least you could back and call it a good life experience. Also, it's good to have a specific job title in mind but keep yourself open to learning about other peoples roles and careers related to whatever you study. They could be making a living doing something you've never heard of or even considered and when you find out more about it, you might have skills that could be applicable to what they do and want to do something similar.

I apologise if this reply made no sense but best of luck to ya and happy Halloween

(Original post by IbanezTotoro)
    Please don't feel I'm talking down to you here, but it's important to remember that a degree does not guarantee a job. However, it can be a great learning experience depending on what you make of it.

I left uni over a year and a half ago, did an animation degree. I started Uni without a clue what exact role I'd want to do and left uni feeling the same way. However, I also researched and found out what roles were applicable to what I was studying: character designer, animator, storyboard artist etc.

My ambitions completely however when I was at a birthday do and I became mates with someone who is a freelance comic book artist. I'd never considered doing that before but I saw his work, asked about his job and it sounded like a lot of hard work especially since it's freelance and not a guaranteed pay check every month (then again, how many jobs are nowadays?) yet something inside hit me and said "That's what I'd love to do!"

Okay, doing comic and doing animation are very different mediums but in my degree I was using Photoshop and Illustrator and learnt tons about using those programmes through my fellow classmates. Now I'm working freelance occasionally alongside my main job and I love it. At first I thought I had wasted my degree because I didn't get a job in animation but I've used the skills I've learnt from it to pursue what now makes me happy!

I guess my points in this extended rant are:
    If you do a degree and want to stick with it, choose something you have a strong interest in and do the best you can it. Even if you don't get a career related to your chosen study, at least you could back and call it a good life experience. Also, it's good to have a specific job title in mind but keep yourself open to learning about other peoples roles and careers related to whatever you study. They could be making a living doing something you've never heard of or even considered and when you find out more about it, you might have skills that could be applicable to what they do and want to do something similar.

I apologise if this reply made no sense but best of luck to ya and happy Halloween
    Thank you I needed this! I think English would be a great life experience I do nothing but read when I can, I love it. I also love history too. Sounds like I should go for a joint honours really Your right, not everyone goes and leaves uni with an exact plan of what they want to do after. I think I will probably travel after uni a bit, get a feel for what I want to pursue if i'm still unsure. I'm going to stop worrying about wasting my time because as you put it I should look back at my time and realise I really enjoyed it.

(Original post by Emily.97)
    Im really not sure if im honest. Maybe a career path involving mental health, maybe a career in education..im still trying to figure out where i belong.
    Ah I suppose we are struggling the same really

ReputationRep:
    Name:  feels.png
Views: 88
Size:  1.8 KB

(Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    Name:  feels.png
Views: 88
Size:  1.8 KB

What are you stuck on?

Anyone else?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.