Turn on thread page Beta

What makes someone British? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurupt)
    You must be pure white European race to be British. Being born here means nothing. Living here for a thousand years doesn't change anything, if you're not pure white, you're not British, full stop.
    Just out of curiosity, can I ask why you think this? Doesn't this logic imply that what is commonly thought of as 'White Americans' are in fact not American at all. Caucasian people have lived in North America for less than a thousand years, so why are they considered to be American, instead of English or of other European descent? Surely, according to you, they have just emigrated, primarily during times in which England was dominated by Puritans (a religion of European descent).

ReputationRep:
    -Cuppa and Digestives
    -Being a full blown lad
    -Nandos

Pretty much it

ReputationRep:
    http://www.webritish.co.uk/list.asp

sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Hello, my question is what makes someone British is it being born in the Uk?Having Citizenship?Or having a British heritage?
    Being British isn't simply about having citizenship, its the way you sip your tea in the correct manner with your pinkie out. Never being warm, and when the temperature is above 15 degrees you whip out the suncream. Complain about the way americans use different words than us for the same things for example

chrisp (UK) potato chip (America)

you must master the art of smiling awkwardly at strangers and being rude but frighteningly polite simultaneously, as well as always trying to avoid disagreeing with people if possible especially shop assistants and hair dressers.

Most importantly you must know the national anthem off by heart and belt it out whenever you see fit, while managing to drink an unhealthy amount of tea.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest there's no such thing as being "British," British culture is so varied. Someone from Yorkshire's "British" is very different to someone from Cornwall's "British." I think if you've assimilated into your surroundings and your culture and those surroundings/culture are in Great Britain you can call yourself British. This DNA stuff is also utter bs in my opinion, British "DNA" is a mix of so many other races that there is no one "British" DNA. You say that you have to be white to be British but what kind of white do you mean? Pure Anglo-Saxon? Because that rules out a huge amount of white British people. Given the nature of British history (occupation by several groups e.g. the Romans or great migrations from other ethnic groups e.g. the Dutch) it is impossible to identify Brits as pertaining to one ethnic group. If you say it is caucasians, do you still include people whose ancestors came from the Netherlands? For all intents and purposes they are caucasian and they are assimilated into our culture yet by blood they are Dutch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Some people whose parents immigrate to Britain and they are born here say they are British what would you say about that? I think you should acknowledge your heritage I hate it when people's parents immigrate and they are born in let's say Britain and they consider themselves British and know nothing of their heritage or culture.
    My mum was born in Britain and my dad was an immigrant, I was born here too, so by your logic I'm not a British citizen? What stupid and ignorant thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in the UK since I was 4, but was born in another Western European country.

What I remember of living in that country was that the somali community over there were more patriotic/associated themselves with that country more.

I went that country's independence day, when I was three (that country was liberated from Nazi Germany) and I felt apart of the country. I have never felt properly integrated with this country enough to celebrate the Jubilee ect, with passion, maybe because I left out from a young age...

Although it depends on what part of the country your from, cos I lived in Brent (North West London) when I first moved here. My school had Jewish, African, Arabic, Latino students and we all got along. I loved it there.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean briTEAish? :ahee: omfg I'm hilarious

ReputationRep:
    Drinking at least 5 cups of tea a day.
    Complaining about the weather daily.
    Eating crumpets at 5 o'clock.
    Going to the chippie once a week.
    Having a mug with the printed portrait of the Queen.
    Being grumpy 80% of the time.
    Shouting at the TV during footie matches.
    Not knowing half the words of the National Anthem.
    Some other things...

ReputationRep:
    You must be pure white European race to be British. Being born here means nothing. Living here for a thousand years doesn't change anything, if you're not pure white, you're not British, full stop.
    nobody on this planet is pure anything anymore, and even if you were pure of skin colour, that doesn't mean your entire ancestry is of one nationality. Your point would suggest that a Frenchman who has no ties to this country is more British than someone who happens to have a bit of variety in their ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    Using nothing but tissue to clean your bum hole (after a bowel movement) and calling it a day.
    How people can claim to have good personal hygiene after merely using a few sheets of tissue is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    That's only as a result of being located so far north of the equator. Even if you were black and migrated here and kept reproducing after 1000 years you'd be much much lighter or white. In any case with global warming the way it is everyone will be brown skinned eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Being white makes you british....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elehin)
    Being white makes you british....
    Actually the original inhabitants of Britain (the Silures) were "black".

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/...nd-the-mauris/

ReputationRep:
    Association with British citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    A person can only be British if they add the milk LAST when making tea.

ReputationRep:
    - Have a red/burgundy/purple legal British passport (Qualified for this requires many things too)
    - Have residence in the UK (Qualified for this requires some things)
    - Be able to judge which part of Britain other people are from just by their accent, what they wear, and what they look like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Flak Jacket)
    Using nothing but tissue to clean your bum hole (after a bowel movement) and calling it a day.
    How people can claim to have good personal hygiene after merely using a few sheets of tissue is beyond me.
    How about baby wipes? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Be able to que

ReputationRep:
    Passport

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.