Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B878 - Electoral Registration Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically a household has only one vote? That means if they're two to four people in a household who support different parties, they have to choose one, or basically the eldest chooses the party? Is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I read the comments before the actual bill so perhaps its skewed my understanding - I don't see what this actually achieves? Why would we implement it?
    Young people generally can't be bothered to register and therefore cannot vote. The sponsor, presumably, believes these disenfranchised people are more likely to vote to the left than the right. This bill brings them back into the warm and loving protection of the family, who will make sure they are registered.

Bless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRite)
    So basically a household has only one vote? That means if they're two to four people in a household who support different parties, they have to choose one, or basically the eldest chooses the party? Is that correct?
    I don't think you understand voter registration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I don't think you understand voter registration.
    No, that's why I asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Young people generally can't be bothered to register and therefore cannot vote. The sponsor, presumably, believes these disenfranchised people are more likely to vote to the left than the right. This bill brings them back into the warm and loving protection of the family, who will make sure they are registered.

Bless.
    I think when the next set of electoral registers comes out under the new law with individual registration we will see a lot fewer people on it. I think this Bill will reverse this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    More people will be registered, and therefore more likely that people will vote. Those unregistered under individual registration are more likely to be Labour, Green or Lib Dem voters in my opinion, and especially less likely to be Tory voters.
    Fair enough, I'll keep this in mind.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It's an improvement, although it could be better by utilising the points mentioned about ID.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.