Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Our college told us to apply with the following pattern:

Aspirational (so one/two uni's one grade above your predicted)
    Safe (your predicted/one grade below from one/two uni's)
    Lower (two grades below what you're projected)

However, this pattern never fit for me. I'm projected AAAB and almost all my courses only ask for AAB. So I applied for AAB x2, AAB + General, and ABB x2.

My advice would be don't just apply somewhere because of the grades. Using the pattern we were told to use I should've applied for King's, but I know I would hate it there - so I just applied for where would make me most happy.

And besides, if you apply for lower places, you're more likely to possibly get an unconditional offer and a greater probability of getting a first at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    I made the decision to go to a uni asking for lower grades than those I achieved would allow me to consider. It's inevitable my answer is going to be coloured by that choice, but so far, on balance, I've not regretted it.

I think, as people have said already, the best policy is to choose the uni/course you think you'll be happiest at/on and that will get you to where you hope to get to. As long as it's not too far beneath your grade standards, I don't think you'll be wasting your talents there.
    What did you go for? But it's reassuring to hear.

(Original post by MCmnbvgyuio)
    I wouldn't consider it a bad thing at all, I've heard some great things about the 'lower grade' unis and vice versa. They come up with their entry grades based on a whole number of factors, so don't assume the teaching standard will be any lower, if you really like the uni then go for it!
    It's hard to tell without actually going, but I guess that works, thank you!

(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    This is a really good question because it's an opportunity to lay down some truth (albeit my estimation of it lol!)

I was in my final year of sixth form ten years ago and getting into a uni with a good recognised reputation was a big deal for me at the time. I got into Manchester University and was so so happy about it.

Ten years later I am studying at my third ex poly uni and i can't stress enough that they are all much of a muchness (i also believe that a higher ranking uni has less drive to improve themselves for students compared to ex polys in some regards).

You should definitely prioritise the course subject because that's what is going to determine what you are able to do with your degree. If Plymouth allows you to do a course combination that is very desirable to you then that would be a massive reason to go with them (having two subjects under your belt gives you more options if you want to go into teaching for example).

Employers will judge the subject you have done at uni more than anything (the uni itself, A level grades etc). As long as you get a uni grade higher than a third, i would argue that it is equally valuable regardless of which uni it is from.
    Thanks for all the advice. I think with Plymouth it's more a personal interest, since I don't need the Biology part to go into research as a psychologist which is the overall goal ^^

(Original post by 06sulraj)
    Just in case you don't meet the conditional offers, yes.
    So have a higher one as my firm and a low as insurace?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miacat)
    Our college told us to apply with the following pattern:

Aspirational (so one/two uni's one grade above your predicted)
    Safe (your predicted/one grade below from one/two uni's)
    Lower (two grades below what you're projected)

However, this pattern never fit for me. I'm projected AAAB and almost all my courses only ask for AAB. So I applied for AAB x2, AAB + General, and ABB x2.

My advice would be don't just apply somewhere because of the grades. Using the pattern we were told to use I should've applied for King's, but I know I would hate it there - so I just applied for where would make me most happy.

And besides, if you apply for lower places, you're more likely to possibly get an unconditional offer and a greater probability of getting a first at the end.
    We were told the same method, but barely anyone's actually used it
    How would I be more likely to get a first at a lower place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)

It's hard to tell without actually going, but I guess that works, thank you!

Thanks for all the advice. I think with Plymouth it's more a personal interest, since I don't need the Biology part to go into research as a psychologist which is the overall goal ^^

So have a higher one as my firm and a low as insurace?
    Yeah, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I did an A-Level equivalent qualification, rather than A-Levels themselves, to get into uni, but to give you a comparison using A-Level requirements, I decided not to pursue AAA unis (although I could have done so) and I think for my course at the uni I decided to firm in the end they asked for AAB.

I'm not going to deny that I don't have the odd "what if?" moment (re. going to the more prestigious unis), but if I develop the thought, I always come to the same conclusion, which is that I made the right choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    I did an A-Level equivalent qualification, rather than A-Levels themselves, to get into uni, but to give you a comparison using A-Level requirements, I decided not to pursue AAA unis (although I could have done so) and I think for my course at the uni I decided to firm in the end they asked for AAB.

I'm not going to deny that I don't have the odd "what if?" moment (re. going to the more prestigious unis), but if I develop the thought, I always come to the same conclusion, which is that I made the right choice.
    I see what you mean. It's good you came to find the right choice though. And if you go for further education you can always go to higher places.

I think compared to you, my problem is that my universities ask for much, much lower than I know I'm capable of getting. I'm talking like BCC for my lowest when I know at best realistically I can get AAA.

ReputationRep:
    I think compared to you, my problem is that my universities ask for much, much lower than I know I'm capable of getting. I'm talking like BCC for my lowest when I know at best realistically I can get AAA.
    Visit the unis you're interested in. All of them if possible, or just your leading favourites if you can only manage 2 or 3 trips. It will almost certainly help you decide which unis you're interested in. Choosing to go to a uni for 3 years without even visiting and based purely on their entry requirements is not a sound policy, imo. (I guess people do it if they accept offers in clearing, but it just seems like chancing it to me.)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.